Post Cruise Florida Keys trip - how much time will I need?

RobinCruiser

Hello! I'm doing a cruise out of Miami and would love to do a little post cruise trip in the Keys. We will rent a car. DH wants to see the Everglades National Park, Brother-in-law says Key Largo is a must and I want to see Key West. I've never been to any of these so wondering how many days I should plan for? Has anyone done a post cruise Key's trip? What do you recommend? What's a must see/do? Any accommodation recommendations? Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than 3 or 4 days post cruise on this little trip. TIA.

There is lots to see so take as many days as you can!  

The most direct driving route would have you visiting the Ernest Coe and Royal Palm Visitors Centers in the Everglades National Park (https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm).  The drive from Port Miami to the Homestead Entrance is about 50 miles and around a 1 hour drive.  Make sure you also stop at Robert is Here en route or leaving the park (www.robertishere.com).  From there it is less than 40 miles and a 1 hour drive to Key Largo.  The drive from Key West to Key Largo is about 2 hours and 100 miles.  Just beware that the stretch of route 1 in the Keys (the Overseas Highway) is only one lane wide in each direction so any accident can throw a wrench into the timing. 

With 4 nights, you could spend one night in Key Largo and the rest in Key West. With 3 nights it would be your call on whether you want to spend a night in Key Largo or just push on to Key West.   Check out the Key West Port of Call board for more info on hotels, restaurants and attractions:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/95-key-west/

17 hours ago, capriccio said:

There is lots to see so take as many days as you can!  

The most direct driving route would have you visiting the Ernest Coe and Royal Palm Visitors Centers in the Everglades National Park (https://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm).  The drive from Port Miami to the Homestead Entrance is about 50 miles and around a 1 hour drive.  Make sure you also stop at Robert is Here en route or leaving the park (www.robertishere.com).  From there it is less than 40 miles and a 1 hour drive to Key Largo.  The drive from Key West to Key Largo is about 2 hours and 100 miles.  Just beware that the stretch of route 1 in the Keys (the Overseas Highway) is only one lane wide in each direction so any accident can throw a wrench into the timing. 

With 4 nights, you could spend one night in Key Largo and the rest in Key West. With 3 nights it would be your call on whether you want to spend a night in Key Largo or just push on to Key West.   Check out the Key West Port of Call board for more info on hotels, restaurants and attractions:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/95-key-west/

Thank you, this is very helpful! I will try to convince the others we need 4 nights!

12 hours ago, zqvol said:

Be aware that driving times can be very deceptive especially south of Key Largo. One wreck, and that 100 mile 3 hour drive coud turn into a 6 - 8 hour maddening day.

Thanks for the tip! I'm from BC Canada and I totally get that... we have a wreck on the highway here and it can closed for a good 10 hours. It's awful!

I am from the Keys.  I moved out a couple years ago, but I miss home dearly.  

First, a decent portion of the Keys is 4 lanes, not just 2.  It's 4 lanes all through Key Largo, Marathon, Boca Chica and some other short stints throughout.  That said, traffic crashes always seem to occur on bridges or at choke points so yes, the possibility of a delay does exist.

I don't recommend stopping in Key Largo unless you plan to do some diving.  Instead, spend a little time in Islamorada.  Traffic tends to slow through this area anyways.  The World Wide Sportsman complex (Bass Pro Shops) is a nice stop, along with the Islamorada Fish Company right next door.  It's at the 81 mile marker.  You'll find yourself wanting to sit at the bar or waters edge at the fish company all day.  It's beautiful.  Holiday Isle at the 84 mile marker is also a really nice stop.  

For a nice beach, I recommend Bahia Honda State Park at the 36 mile marker. 

One you get to KW, try to stay at a place in Old Town or very near Duval.  Most restaurants and attractions are walking distance.  Otherwise, some of the New Town hotels like the Doubletree or Marriott Beachside do have shuttles.  Key West is a great little town and very safe.  I really hope you enjoy yourself.

Take a hop on/hop off trolly tour.  I recommend City View over Old Town.  It's a little less expensive and the seats are padded.  

I'd recommend 4 or 5 days. There is a lot to do in that area, and it will take you a day to get to the Keys. Definitely 1 day for the Everglades, 1 day for Key Largo, and 2 days for Key West. Take time to figure out what you want to do first, and then plan your trip around that!!

• 3 weeks later...

We did this a couple of years ago. We used the better part of a day to drive  down to Key West  from Miami  post-cruise ( we had driven to port), stopping several places along the way to eat and sightsee. We spent 4 days in Key West, staying at one of the  lovely homes that has been converted to an Inn ( The  Conch House  - right off Duval, on Truman street) Great location and wonderful, personal accommodations. Once we parked our car at the Inn, we literally did not move it until it was time to leave - we walked everywhere. We barhopped Duvall Street and enjoyed live music in multiple locations,  A highlight of our trip was a Sunset Sail - food, drinks, good company and live music while sailing and enjoying the view. Plan to have dessert and specialty cocktails at Better Than Sex (On Truman Street near Conch House) . We made it a quest to try the Key Lime Pie at as many places as we could. The only drawback to the trip was that it was July and much too hot. We hope to return soon at a different (cooler) time of year.  Next time we might consider taking a shuttle or some other alternate transportation (or flying directly there) since we really didn't need a car once there.