Dipping Powder Nails?

Suzanne123

On 3/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

I am obsessed with gel nails. They look amazing and shiny all the time and are super strong. Even without gel and going back to "naked nails" they are strong. I think the health of your nails depends a lot on your lifestyle (eating and drinking and having the right nutrients). Of course, using a Dremel to remove ALL the product and thereby nicking or coming into contact with the nailbed would be a big issue. My salon does not do it that way and I have been going there intermittently for the last 15 years (of course gel nails haven't existed that whole time). They use a very fine grade Dremel to just remove the top/shiney part and then use acetone to soak off the rest. If your salon uses a Dremel to get it ALL off, it's time to find a new salon! It doesn't have to be done that way.

I'm guessing genetics may play a role.  When I do gel or dip and then have it removed, my nails are in horrible condition.  Granted, I usually do a couple of rounds of gel/dip, so it may be the multiple rounds that causes damage.  Maybe a single round at a time wouldn't be as bad?   My salon only uses a dremel on the top part only, and then soaks in acetone, so it isn't that, and I eat super clean and healthy, drink a ton of water, rarely drink unless on vacation etc. so it isn't that either.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:51 AM, orchestrapal said:

Just saw my dermatologist who sees multiple permanent  damages to nails from both gel and SNS and advises all of his patients NOT to use either. Better carry a small bottle of polish to freshen up your manicure than permanently damage your nails.

Permanent damage?  How so?  Because like hair, nails continue to grow, so the damaged part grows out in time.

19 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

While these types of manicures absolutely ruin my nails for a good two months, I also don’t understand how they could cause permanent damage.

It seems the NAILBED can be permantly damaged and cause the nails to never grow right again.