Rhine - best times, deals, companies?

COcruise

Hello! My mother is interested in a cruise on the Rhine and looking at how to make it happen. I've been on quite a few cruises but never a river cruise and know absolutely nothing about how they work. I've been sifting through the boards and looking at various websites but there is so much info and can't figure out where to begin. We're not looking for anything fancy and probably don't care about drinks being included. We don't really care what time of year- I'd rather best deal but am aware of the issues with river height. We would definitely want something more active but probably don't care if excursions are included or not, unless one way or the other is better. What are your favorite companies, what was the best price, what's included, what cabin do you stay in? Any info is greatly appreciated! 

You've come to the right place.  We have many active posters here and one common feature is that most people enjoy their first river cruise and tend to stick with that cruise line [I'm one of those!].  But there are also a few lucky souls who have cruised on various lines and can make useful comparisons.

While you wait for them to post, have a look at the Stickies at the top of the forum – lots of useful info from Cruise Critic there!

Also there are two reference books that can give you a ton of information and relatively-objective comparisons: Berlitz Cruising in Europe and the USA by Douglas Ward [2018] and Ultimate River Cruising Handbook by Ralph Grizzle [2019].

I gave you my Host perspective above.  Here is my personal perspective:  I researched a lot before taking my first river cruise and came to two conclusions:  the Rhine was the best first itinerary, and AmaWaterways was the best cruise line.  We loved that cruise and feel that both conclusions were correct.  We have since taken two other AMA cruises [Rhone and the Zambezi in Africa] and when the time comes for the Douro and Tulip Time they will be on AMA also.

I would also suggest sailing from Amsterdam to Basel because the scenery keeps getting better.  Also Amsterdam is easy to fly into [with, typically, lots of later flights if something happens to yours] and it's very easy to get acclimated to while you work through jet lag.  I would fly in 2 days early, but if time is an issue you could cut that to 1.  At the other end, you can either book AMA's post-cruise excursion to Lucerne and Zurich or do it on your own.  We went with AMA and even though it probably cost more than DIY we were glad we did – the same Cruise Director from our ship stayed with us on land, which made us feel very comfortable.  She arranged everything, and even went with us right into the Zurich airport to make sure we got checked in for our flights home.  As MasterCard says, that service was priceless!

• Like 1

I've taken 3 cruises on Uniworld, most recently Amsterdam to Basel.  Agree with Host Jazzbeau about this itinerary being a good starter itinerary, and also spending time pre-cruise in Amsterdam.  It's a phenomenal city - lots to do and easy to get around in.  Prices tend to lower very early and very late in the season.  I prefer cooler temps for touring, so all three of my river cruises have been in late October/early November.  

Unless you're willing to pay extra or do a lot of homework on your own, I would lean towards tours included, especially for a first river cruise.  

Roz

COcruise,

you have narrowed it down to the Rhine - sort of -, which is a start, now I would consider the season and which weather you prefer. Last year's events have narrowed down the "safe time frame" in which you do not encounter (statistically speaking) low or high water to between 20th June and 25th July.

I would look at the ports along the way, compare what each company offers, at which port. But if you are not so familiar with the area you might just like to go with the tried and tested like Viking's Rhine Getaway which is a very good product. Mentioning Viking I would like to point you to looking at the terms and conditions of any itinerary that you include in your potential choices. It might rule out one or the other company.

For a first-timer to the area I do recommend going with excursions offered, but if you are happy with much DIY planning look at companies that offer a basic product, I think Gate1Travel does, certainly Teeming does. Also consider European operators like Riviera Travel, CroisiEurope and Arosa.

A knowledgeable TA is a great help.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid