MS Roald Amudsen

jonikal

Since there are now at least two of us on this cruise I have created a roll call for the Feb 12 cruise on Roald Amundsen on the All Other Cruise Lines category for roll calls. Hopefully we can discuss our  plans for this cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...

According to the ship finder today, June 25,  the Amundsen is still located at the shipyard in  Floro, Norway.  It is supposed to sail on June 27. It would be nice to get a status report.

I would think that people may have already flown to Norway for the departure on Thursday, June 27. (at least we always go in a day or two beforehand.  If they weren't sailing, I would think that they would have notified them by now.  However, this will be our first Hurtigruten cruise, so I really don't know what the "normal" is to expect.  

27 minutes ago, soccergang said:

I would think that people may have already flown to Norway

Cruise June 27 does start in Hamburg, Germany  - I think they better have to sail toward Hamburg for a 27 departure.

However looks like she is on her way from florø southbound for Hamburg. 

Hurtigruten has newer got any prices for good and timely communication - if she cannot make Hamburg in time they will fly all guests to the next port of call. 

This is incredible news! I have just heard from cruisefriends already in their hotel in Hamburg to explore the city and to board on the 27th that HURTIGRUTEN CANCELLED THIS CRUISE TWO DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE!!!!

They obviously still had work going on and the ship is not certified to go, yet. Hurtigruten is trying to ferry passengers still wanting to go on that promised voyage to Tromso via chartered flight to (perhaps?) start on the maiden voyage on July 3rd out of Tromso. Personally I wouldn't count on that... There are so many deeply disappointed - having paid in full, received cruise documents, booked transportation, hotels etc. to be told 2 days before a cruise some had booked 18 months before that they had to find alternatives in the middle of the holiday season or accept a shortened cruise which might or might not happen.Right now everything seems to be in a turmoil and Hurtigruten management does not seem to be really helpful.

This is a huge black eye for Hurtigruten. This ship was originally scheduled for launch last year and was rescheduled for June 19 and now they cannot make that date either. I understand there are no guarantees in the ship building process but to not know two days ahead of time whether or not a ship is ready is unforgivable. I am surprised there is not more coverage of this delay and the people impacted.  I can only hope it will be ready by March of next year for the Antarctic. 

23 hours ago, grayjay said:

HURTIGRUTEN CANCELLED THIS CRUISE TWO DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE!!!!

Are you sure it is the June 27 sailing  that is cancelled?

Roald Amundsen is expected to arrive in Hamburg June 27 at 8 am - current position June 26 at 10 pm 

0772C0CC-FDC4-418A-9E38-913096AAB0F7.jpeg

This total lack of timely communication to Hurtigruten passengers is totally to be expected.  Their public relations is going to take another hit since they seem to seriously lack any idea of how to work in such a competitive market.  I am very sorry for those passengers who have been affected by this fiasco and will now have to make other arrangements for flights etc to catch up with the ship.  

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Are you sure it is the June 27 sailing  that is cancelled?

Roald Amundsen is expected to arrive in Hamburg June 27 at 8 am - current position June 26 at 10 pm 

0772C0CC-FDC4-418A-9E38-913096AAB0F7.jpeg

TUE 10:02 AM

MS Roald Amundsen
Here is the latest info from Hurtigruten's FB.  Probably the only way passengers are likely to find out what is happening but typically vague. What exactly does a few days later mean??  Hallasm's tracking map is truly a mystery.
Hi! The maiden voyage of MS Roald Amundsen is now set to start a few days later, in MS Roald Amundsen’s home port of Tromsø. After voyaging north to North Cape and exploring Kirkenes near the Russian border, the maiden voyage will head south and take the guests to carefully selected highlights along the Norwegian coast, including the Lofoten islands. Guests booked on the original maiden voyage are offered to be transferred to the new maiden voyage at a favorable price. Hurtigruten will cover their possible Hamburg travel costs as well as their flights for Norway.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:37 AM, jonikal said:

Can someone explain Hallasm's tracking map if the ship is still showing in Floro this morning, June 27?

Some sites base their tracking on the planned itinerary and not the ships actual position. 

Sorry, but i given the uncertainty experienced by the delayed and inconvenienced passengers, showing a planned itinerary instead of the actual ship's tracking, is misleading and helps no one.

Roald Amundsen now is supposed to arrive in Tromso on July 2nd and to start on her ( shortened) maiden voyage on the 3rd. I don't know how many passengers cancelled. The second option was to fly at no cost to Tromso, flight out of Hamburg and hotel being paid by Hurtigruten.

Yes, right now it is moored offshore near Bodo.  Doing any maiden voyage is dicey as we experienced on the Spitsbergen. It too was delayed several times and caused us to make flight changes not to mention a lot of the workings of the ship were simply not ready for passengers.

On 7/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, terry&mike said:

We are on the July 21 sailing from Tromso to Svalbard, and are really hopeful!!

I see it’s now 20 miles from Tromso. I am hoping it works out for you too. Please come back with a review of the ship.

We went by Baton Rouge at Christmas on the American Queen - a great trip.

Edited by Lady Meer

2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

I see it’s now 20 miles from Tromso. I am hoping it works out for you too. Please come back with a review of the ship.

We went by Baton Rouge at Christmas on the American Queen - a great trip.

Will do!

And glad you had a great trip in the "deep south"!

On 7/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, terry&mike said:

We are on the July 21 sailing from Tromso to Svalbard, and are really hopeful!!

Really look forward to hearing about your adventure!  Glad to see the ship is underway.