Just home from Enchantment. My Review

rolloman

Hey Gmoney my family and I are going on a 5 day cruise on Enchantment and now I'M worried. I planned this trip because everybody told me great things about the ship, ports,weather this time of year is supposed to be the best. Now everybody is going to look at me and say why did you book us to Cozumel. 13 of us are going. I hope you are wrong rollman but you have been there and I haven't so I have to take your word and pray my group has a good time. Thanks for the information

Hi Lojill - Forewarned is forearmed. Despite your good planning, Mother Nature has intervened, so you will need a plan. I might recommend that you talk with your group, set expectations, and agree on what you want to do in Cozumel - shopping, ship tour, beach day, etc. Booking a ship tour can be advantageous because you will generally get off on one of the first tenders. If you don't do a ship tour but still want to see the island, get in line early for a tender ticket. IMO, staying on the ship is never a bad thing, especially on one as nice as Enchantment. You may not be able to count on the weather or the port, but you can count on the ship being beautiful and a destination itself.

Hi Lojill - Forewarned is forearmed. Despite your good planning, Mother Nature has intervened, so you will need a plan. I might recommend that you talk with your group, set expectations, and agree on what you want to do in Cozumel - shopping, ship tour, beach day, etc. Booking a ship tour can be advantageous because you will generally get off on one of the first tenders. If you don't do a ship tour but still want to see the island, get in line early for a tender ticket. IMO, staying on the ship is never a bad thing, especially on one as nice as Enchantment. You may not be able to count on the weather or the port, but you can count on the ship being beautiful and a destination itself.

I agree on getting a tender ticket early. The ship arrived at cozumel at 9am as scheduled and we reached land at 11:45am and we were on the 2nd tender.

Now everybody is going to look at me and say why did you book us to Cozumel.

If you don't feel comfortable taking the folks on shore, this might be a great day to take advantage of some of the facilities on the ship - the spa, for instance, often runs specials on days when most people are in port.

Rolloman: I am neither a travel agent or vendor/business owner in Cozumel. I really think that your remarks to me were uncalled for since this site is for posters with different opinions and I was just stating mine. Sorry that you had such a terrible experience and hope the next time you return to Cozumel you will find it more enjoyable...

My take away on all of this is not to tender if it is rough, but if it isn't, we will most certainly go ashore - if nothing else, it will be 'education' to witness first hand the devestation caused by a major hurricane.

We won't rush to the first 2 or so tenders, either, but will take our time.

The fact is, our ship is going to Coz, so picking some other destination is not exactly an option on our part.

Frankly, I'm somewhat surprised that the cruiselines are sticking with Coz at this point - but am glad they are doing so, without this support I doubt Coz could rebuild any time soon.

It is really hard to say, right now they seem to be focusing on the basics, patching together some restuarants, and shopping areas. It is sad that some of the new Malls with escalators at a couple of the piers are now laying in concrete rubble. Keep in mind this is an Island off the coast and getting building supplies there is tough. In my opinion, unless you work for the red cross or happen to be a missionary, take your hard earned vacation dollars elsewhere. If and when this Island improves to a "vacation" spot like it once used to be I say stay away. It is depressing to see what is left, and you will feel cheated if you go. I have no hidden agenda like some folks on this board, I tell it like it is.

What hidden agenda is that?

BTW, did you go to any of the beaches, or did you stay near the ship?

We're on this cruise on 2/9, so I read this review, and another posted as well, last evening. Made some popcorn to enjoy for the entertaining flame thrower parts of the thread. I think the Cozumel debates started soon after Rita, and can be found at the ports of call forum, so there is really no need to engage here. Having now been to Costa Maya, two weeks ago, I wish I could go back, but we'll either make a day on the ship or if the tendering is running w/ any efficiency, head to one of the beach clubs I have been reading about at the Cozumel thread--it appears to have suffered less damage than some others, or at least had quick repairs. I can't quite fully agree that one books a cruise for the ship, not the itinerary. I can agree with the part of that statement that includes the concept that none of the ports can truly be guaranteed and cruisers need to fully understand that. But I dont book Alaskan cruises even if the ship is gorgeous, and I've decided not to do more 4 night Disney cruise because I dont care to go to the Bahamas in winter. Now I may end up in the Bahamas on some re-routed cruise, but my target destination is different. Just a differing viewpoint, not a flame -- I'm sure there are those who will absolutely say "this is the week I can cruise and I love the [fill in the blank] of the seas, so we're on it no matter where it goes".

Tell me more about the ship.

I'm taking the family to celebrate a graduation in June. I'm concerned that it's a bit older (built in 1997). Did the '05 stretch and refurbishment bring it up to speed?

I've read a little bit about this elsewhere, but for those of you who just were on it, tell me how it really is. We were able to book cabins in the "new" part.

Tell me more about the ship.

I'm taking the family to celebrate a graduation in June. I'm concerned that it's a bit older (built in 1997). Did the '05 stretch and refurbishment bring it up to speed?

I've read a little bit about this elsewhere, but for those of you who just were on it, tell me how it really is. We were able to book cabins in the "new" part.

It's really very nice. We sailed Enchantment both pre- and post stretch, and the new furnishings, public areas (particularly Boleros) bring it up to date. The refurbished cabins are gorgeous, and the colors are a far cry from the previously dated decor.

One caution, however--be sure to be on time for shows and events to get a good seat. Some of these public areas, although refurbished, didn't appear to be expanded. On days with bad weather, they can be a little crowded.

jawlaw

I arrived home from the Enchantment this past weekend. there is no evidence this is a 8 year old ship with the exception of the solorium. Most areas look brand new. Bring a pen and a small clock or watch with you. My cabin (3581) was in the new section of the ship and has a plastic sliding door on the shower (my understanding is the older cabins have curtains.)

I am really quite loveable :-) There are two specific posters on here who have jerked on my chain more than once and I am going to call them out each time it happens. People on this board who I have met and talked to want to here information, not a wisecrack with no substance by someone who wants to achieve 3000 posts in a years time.

Anyways the ship is in great shape, no way does it look its age. I feel it is one of the best over 5 year old ships out there. I dont want to talk about Cozumel anymore, it is what it is and if you go there just please be aware of your surroundings. No one ever expects to get on a tender and have it sink or be walking down the road and have debree fall and hurt them, but it happens and this place is ripe with this sort of danger. The water surrounding the island is the most beautiful in the world. If the water is not choppy head on in and go to a beach that is open like GMoney stated. Alot of people want to go to Carlos and Charlies and even though it just opened the immediate surrounding area outside completely destroyed with debree everywhere. Just be careful that is my only opinion.

After reading rollman's review I appreciated the information he was giving based upon his visit. It also made me nervous about the trip and wondering if everybody was going to have a good time. One thing i did notice was he did warn everybody about the review before hand to prepare them for what he thought the condition was like while he was there. What he sees and what we see will probably be 2 different things. I think this whole thing started with someone not agreeing with what Rollman's opinion was and forgetting it was his opinion that's all it was. Even though I did not like to hear it I respect his opinion. And remember he didn't say you have to like it he was just expressing what conclusion he came to and that is why the board is here to pass along information.Some things will be positive and some will be negative that is just the nature of the beast.

1corona4u

I was on the same ship as rolloman and we were in Cozumel this past Saturday. The island is a mess. They cleaned up and rebuilt the shopping area good enough for people to walk around and spend money on jewelry and cheap quality t-shirts. Not much else has opened back up since Hurricane Wilma came through a couple months ago. This island has a lot of damage and my opinion is cruise lines should not be going there until things open back up and the island is safe.

1corona4u

I was on the same ship as rolloman and we were in Cozumel this past Saturday. The island is a mess. They cleaned up and rebuilt the shopping area good enough for people to walk around and spend money on jewelry and cheap quality t-shirts. Not much else has opened back up since Hurricane Wilma came through a couple months ago. This island has a lot of damage and my opinion is cruise lines should not be going there until things open back up and the island is safe.

First of all, I am well aware of the hurricane, because when it was finished with COZ, it came to where I live. I have no issue with saying the COZ is not what it use to be, but to so stridently try to convince people to go elsewhere serves NO purpose. I'm not saying that Coz should be a charity case, but there are still many things to do there as far as I know.

I studied Coz for a month after Wilma left, because I was on the Enchantment in November, and that was a port I should have gone to, but didn't. We did not go, but not because of Wilma, because of gamma. They had no idea where that was going, so they took us to Freeport, and Nassau, which I liked, since I had not been there in years, and Nassau, well, it is what it is. But, I did something I hadn't done before, which was go to Atlantis. Well worth the cruise over there to me.

I just think it's wrong to come on a board like this, and argue with EVERYONE about what it looks like. And you are the only one that has said anything about "safety".

Apparently, you and rolloman like to think of yourselves only, where as some of us are saying, how do you expect Coz to ever get back to normal if no one goes there? Do both of you think lumber and supplies will just fall out of the sky? Those people were handed lemons, and now they are making lemonade. What else can they do?? Life as they know it has changed, and I am ashamed that the two of you can only think about what it looks like.

They need TOURIST, and those tourist are well aware of the hurricane that went through there.

Just state your thoughts, and stop insisting people see it YOUR way, that's all.

I have said all I am going to say on this, as it's an exercise in futility.

After reading rollman's review I appreciated the information he was giving based upon his visit. It also made me nervous about the trip and wondering if everybody was going to have a good time. One thing i did notice was he did warn everybody about the review before hand to prepare them for what he thought the condition was like while he was there. What he sees and what we see will probably be 2 different things. I think this whole thing started with someone not agreeing with what Rollman's opinion was and forgetting it was his opinion that's all it was. Even though I did not like to hear it I respect his opinion. And remember he didn't say you have to like it he was just expressing what conclusion he came to and that is why the board is here to pass along information.Some things will be positive and some will be negative that is just the nature of the beast.
lojill, relax. I just got off the phone with my father. (ok, it was an hour and a half ago)

He JUST got back from a Caribbean cruise on the Radisson Navigator. He is 83 years old. He looks about 70, and acts it.

He LOVED Cozumel and said that OF COURSE you can see destruction, but it was a great Port of Call and he's glad that he went there.

:D No worries, mon.

1corona4u

I completely disagree with you. I was there a month ago and had a great time. About the only thing that wasn't open when I was there was Chanakaab and Carlos and Charlies and even Carlos and Charlies reopened two days after I was there. Went to a beach club, had a terrific excursion, got to play on soft, clean sand and swim in beautiful water. It was a whole lot better than our other port, Progreso. I would've been extremely upset if they had taken Cozumel off our itinerary.

And if we're going to take places off because of hurricane damage until they're completely recovered, then they need to stop cruising out of South Florida until they're completely recovered from Wilma and not stop at Grand Cayman because you can still see damage there from Ivan.

And if we're going to take places off because of hurricane damage until they're completely recovered, then they need to stop cruising out of South Florida until they're completely recovered from Wilma and not stop at Grand Cayman because you can still see damage there from Ivan.

I completely agree. We were in Grand Caymen last May, and the damage from Ivan was still very apparent. Yet, no one was going around saying that GC is unsafe, when they were in the same situation as Coz. is in now. I'm sure that GC is still trying to clean up from the damage of Ivan, as well as this hurricane season. And GC has a LOT more $ to clean up with than Coz.

I think that everyone should stop worrying, and decide for yourself when you get to Coz. (or any other island for that matter) If one port of call isn't the greatest, or what you expected, just get back on the ship and enjoy your day there. I'll be there at the end of May and I cant wait. Coz has always been one of my favorite places to visit and even if not much is open, I will still go and enjoy my day. After all, it's a vacation!

We saw very little hurricane damage in South Florida or Key West. My parents live in Palm Beach and we went down a day early to see them. Drove from FLL to Palm Beach, only hurricane damage was a trash on the side of the road (bricks, street poles, etc.), palm tree tops missing, and a couple highway signs that had not been put back up yet. Very minor compared to Cozumel. We saw no damage to the port or the airport. As for Cozumel, here is a picture I took of the dock last weekend http://image61.webshots.com/161/2/72/5/546027205YSLUva_fs.jpg

Hey Mom I have a question. We filled out all the information online to recieve our sea -pass. We printed it out on the computer after everything was filled out.(under before you board). Now the question I have is we just recieved our documents yesterday for our Feb sailing. The page in the book that ask the same thing does that need to be filled out or can i disregard it and just take the photo copy of the Set Sail pass.

Hey Mom I have a question. We filled out all the information online to recieve our sea -pass. We printed it out on the computer after everything was filled out.(under before you board). Now the question I have is we just recieved our documents yesterday for our Feb sailing. The page in the book that ask the same thing does that need to be filled out or can i disregard it and just take the photo copy of the Set Sail pass.

Put your luggage tags on the luggage. Bring your setsail pass, drivers license, credit card, and passport (or birth certificate.) You do not need the book they sent you.

Hey Steve I don't need to put my luggage tags on until we leave the hotel going to the ship-correct? We are are staying in a hotel the night before. I don't want to put them on when we arrive at the airport the day before -correct.

Archived