Cunard VS Celebrity

Stateroom_Sailor

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, cruiseyj said:

has anyone been on both lines who have kids? thoughts?

thanks!

Never seen many children on board Cunard but that could be simply because of the itinerary we have chosen.  Having said that, the few times I've seen the kids out and about with the 'minders' they've always looked as if they were enjoying themselves.

My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 30 times since 1993 and only have 23 days total on Cunard.  We are about to board the Victoria next month for an 80 day World Cruise and then take the QM2 TA back to NYC.  Both lines are great at what they do!

Cunard:

--about the only real "formal" cruise line left.😀

--great itineraries.

--MDR food is pretty good and it's offered every meal through out the day.

--Lido is so so.

--great wrap around promenade decks.

--quest lectures are top notch.

--Best libraries at sea.

--old school at it's best.

Celebrity:

--up scale mass market cruise line.

--modern and well designed.

--nice cabins, with glassed in showers.

--excellent MDR food, when it's open.

--excellent buffet.

--pretty good entertainment.

--nice indoor pool area.

--trending towards expensive:classic_unsure:

We have eight cruises booked, with one on Celebrity and two on Cunard.  The best deals as of late are on Holland America, which is a pretty good alternative to both Cunard and Celebrity.  

Enjoy!

Kel

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? We haven't been on Celebrity but we haven't ruled it out.

Not open for lunch on Port days, that’s the only limitation I noted.

the food was in my opinion, comparable between Cunard and Celebrity (indeed Princess and NCL too) but then if your serving a few thousand people at a time with small kitchens (for the numbers being fed) you are a bit limited

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? We haven't been on Celebrity but we haven't ruled it out.

Like many cruise lines, Celebrity only serves MDR breakfast and lunch during "at-sea" days.  Every evening the MDR is open for 6:00 and 8:30 fixed and 5:45 -- 8;30 anytime dining. There is a special dining room for suite guests and Aqua Class has it's own dining room as well.  In addition, each ship will have between three to five alternative restaurants, which are excellent, but not cheap.  The new Edge class has even more dining options.  I rate Celebrity above Cunard, HAL, Royal, NCL, and Princess in the food department.  HAL and Royal are improving as of late.  NCL can be great if you purchase the ultimate dining package and eat all evening meals in their great alternatives.  Princess, what can I say, I've never liked their cuisine.  Maybe it's better as of late?  Cunard here we come!:classic_biggrin:

Edited by kelmac

8 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Like many cruise lines, Celebrity only serves breakfast and lunch during "at-sea" days.  Every evening the MDR is open for 6:00 and 8:30 fixed and 5:45 -- 8;30 anytime dining. There is a special dining room for suite guests and Aqua Class has it's own dining room as well.  In addition, each ship will have between three to five alternative restaurants, which are excellent, but not cheap.  The new Edge class has even more dining options.  I rate Celebrity above Cunard, HAL, Royal, NCL, and Princess in the food department.  HAL and Royal are improving as of late.  NCL can be great if you purchase the ultimate dining package and eat all evening meals in their great alternatives.  Princess, what can I say, I've never liked their cuisine.  Maybe it's better as of late?  Cunard here we come!:classic_biggrin:

The food on HAL was excellent last June.  I thought the MDR was every bit as good, but the buffet, breakfast options, and junk food were superior.  Japanese breakfast, where else can I order that?  Never been on Princess, but I've see from pictures that their meals used to have more vegetables, now only a garnish.  Glad to hear that Royal is doing better, the main reason I'm hesitant to sail with them again.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Well, I think they are very different.  Cunard celebrates its history, tradition and Britishness.  There's a Golden Lion pub with fish'n'chips.  They have English beer on tap.  Breakfast in the Britannia can include Cumberland sausage, English bacon and Bury black pudding.  (Good luck with that on Celebrity)  Food and service in the MDR is better on Cunard.  Guest speakers are way superior.  Formal means formal: 95% in a tux.  More than half the passengers are Brits (at least on a crossing).  You never see or hear the cruise director except to introduce a guest performer.  There is no loud music to spoil your cocktail.  The only announcement is the captain at noon.

We wanted a quiet drink in the Martini bar on Celebrity Constellation while there were very few people there.  We asked the barman to turn down the loud music but he would not.  We filled in a comment card and then the phone in our cabin rang.  It was the cruise director.  "Sorry we can't turn it down.  Miami makes us do it."  Dear God!  Seriously?  It was the same in the Italian specialty - loud music which was not even Italian.  Other than that, we did like Celebrity and will certainly go back.  So yes, they are different.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

Well, I think they are very different.  Cunard celebrates its history, tradition and Britishness.  There's a Golden Lion pub with fish'n'chips.  They have English beer on tap.  Breakfast in the Britannia can include Cumberland sausage, English bacon and Bury black pudding.  (Good luck with that on Celebrity)

To be honest, I've never had British Food (other than fish'n'chips).  There are negative stereotypes in the US, which I'm sure goes both ways!  We love foreign cuisine: Brazilian, Lebanese, Japanese, Indian, Spanish, etc.  I assume that higher end British Food is delicious as well.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I assume that higher end British Food is delicious as well.

You are too kind.  I had a cab driver in Montreal many years ago who loved London but said you had to go to Paris for a decent meal.  I believe British standards may have improved somewhat since then.

I should add to my earlier post that QM2 has 400,000 bottles of wine on board and by far the longest wine list of any ship that I have seen.  And a huge selection of port.  And Fever Tree tonic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Breakfast in the Britannia can include Cumberland sausage, English bacon and Bury black pudding.  (Good luck with that on Celebrity)  

The S-class ships of Celebrity all have a British station in the Ocean View restaurant.  I always get my "fix" of proper British back bacon and other delights!

Yum,

Kel:classic_biggrin: