Female Dance Hosts

Dancer Bob

I see posts reporting female dance hosts, but lacking details. It's of considerable importance to me, my last trips have been disappointing. The last one was so woeful that I wondered if Holland America had taken over marketing, although other posts suggest this was a one-off experience. I'm now only travelling with groups, but that's not a perfect solution.

I'm pretty sure Cunard is still using American agencies, but would female hosts be from the UK, perhaps Dance Afloat? Dance Afloat claims to test hosts, although they're coy about to what standard. Dancing with other ladies would suggest the ability to lead, with considerable dance training, International style?

Bob, at the end of October there was a lovely couple from the US who were dance hosts.  They are quite excellent dancers and engaging conversationalists. There was some talk of adding a second lady as a dance host, but that view seemed odd to the many ladies traveling alone or with husbands with two left feet.

Edited by ddgarner1

I'm a very keen (female) ballroom dancer, and by ballroom I mean International Standard not American style. I would wish for professional male dance hosts on the ships who can dance in that style. I thought there would be more female passengers who would be doing International Standard than American style so employing American male dancers is not an ideal situation imo. I must have been unlucky or travelled in the wrong waters but I've been totally underwhelmed by the standard of dance hosts on board. As for employing female dance hosts we single female dancers may as well give up on having a decent dance on board at all and leave our shoes at home. As you say, Dancer Bob, dancing is also of considerable importance to me so it is a great disappointment to me that the dancing onboard is way below what I was lead to believe it would be.

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm a very keen (female) ballroom dancer, and by ballroom I mean International Standard not American style. I would wish for professional male dance hosts on the ships who can dance in that style. I thought there would be more female passengers who would be doing International Standard than American style so employing American male dancers is not an ideal situation imo. I must have been unlucky or travelled in the wrong waters but I've been totally underwhelmed by the standard of dance hosts on board. As for employing female dance hosts we single female dancers may as well give up on having a decent dance on board at all and leave our shoes at home. As you say, Dancer Bob, dancing is also of considerable importance to me so it is a great disappointment to me that the dancing onboard is way below what I was lead to believe it would be. 

Perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention to the male dance hosts (why would I?), but I don't recall that more than one was American -- and he may actually have been Canadian.  I shared a dinner table with lovely lady from Florida whose only purpose in being on the QM2 was to dance. She preferred International Standard, although she was happy just to be dancing with so many men who didn't constantly mutter the steps to themselves. I did dance twice with the female dance host during my last TA, and did find her to be quite good at both International Standard and American Smooth,helped considerably by a quick five-minute session to choreograph a bit of "apart" Fred Astaire and a lift, the first one I'd done in about five years (at age 69, I don't recommend doing many lifts).         

(I'm a former Arthur Murray dance instructor in my youth, a retired competitor and adjudicator with Dance Sport USA.) 

In 2018 I completed three separate voyages/cruises with Cunard ( more recently Nov/Dec on Queen Victoria )

I'm a serious dance competitor,  ISTD standard  & Pro Am.  On all the three Cunard trips I experienced female dance hosts

all had been recruited from Dance Afloat ( Ipswich UK) and extremely professional for 'social dancing', which was ideal for a crowded dance floor at sea.  As a solo male I'm delighted that more and more female dance hosts are being recruited from the Uk, who dance international style . 

The dance hosts seem to vary quite a bit - though it should also be remembered that they have quite a tough job to do dancing with everyone of any experience or ability level who wants a partner, and have to attend singles meetings as well as dance at every class and every available dance in the Queen's Room or Yacht Club.  It also has to be remembered that most are not at the top level of the International Dance professionals who normally run the dance classes and do show dances on Gala evenings. So that needs to be taken into account if you are looking to dance - for many dancers in the Queen's Room it is social dancing for the most part, and only a few couples dance at top level in the evenings.

There was a change to the couple running the dance classes on QV over Christmas and New Year  December 2018 due apparently to an emergency just before the cruise sailed that meant the scheduled dance professionals were not able to get to the ship in time. So the dance classes were run by two members of the theatre dance group who stood in a short notice, so were not able to provide the normal top level of high quality teaching that usually happens on Cunard cruises. The dance pros of course are not dance hosts, and don't usually dance with passengers at the evening ballroom dances. For the dance hosts in general any one male or female host seems to do a few cruises per year at most, so it's likely that if you come across one particular dance host on a cruise it is more than likely you won't see the same dance host on your next cruise.

Hopefully Cunard will continue to give contracts to top level highly trained pro dancers for the role as International Ballroom and Latin dance teachers and show dancers for the Queens Room, which then gives the opportunity for passengers to get the very best dance instruction whilst on board whether at beginner level or for more advanced training. On the last QV cruise, with stand-in dance instructors, advanced training in the International style dances was not possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Littlefish, you are far from alone. A few years ago I was on QE with a couple of friends, one silver, one gold. They both fit the Cunard demographic, but were so disappointed with the hosts they will not be back unless there are radical changes (which is why dance hosts are important to me). Given the low standard of partners recently, that seems very common, and you can see why hosts who are good dancers won't pay $30/day to go back. I never met a host who said his dancing improved on board.

Mcloaked, I once tried one of the American agencies, all they wanted was an audition video, very worried about clothes but the total dance requirement «some patterns». Obviously Cunard was happy with that, I won't assume the contractor is delivering a quality product without evidence.

I believe the US agencies offer contracts six months in advance; is Dance Afloat getting the same offers, which would suggest Cunard is changing agencies?

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I was on QE over Christmas.  I am a North American social ballroom dancer and haven't danced for a few years - so was worried how well I could partner with my dance hosts.  I needed have worried.  This is one area I felt Cunard may be letting standards slip (albeit, it was my first cruise with them).

It seems, due to complaints of dance style, they have moved to a UK company, and certainly all the hosts were British.  The hosts were lovely, but some on their last legs (no pun intended).  There were 3 males and there was a hostess - a wife to one of the hosts.  She tended to partner women as the one male guest dancer had lots of solo women to dance with.  In fact, the last 4 nights the hostess wasn't even in attendance. 

I didn't attend the dance lessons as I wasn't a 'pair' and didn't need beginner lessons, but I think I recall them being taught by a pro couple.  Line dancing was by the Social staff.

If I was a serious high level dancer, I wouldn't be impressed with the hosts or hostess; but they were appropriately non-threatening for those just happy to dance.

14 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I was on QE over Christmas.  I am a North American social ballroom dancer and haven't danced for a few years - so was worried how well I could partner with my dance hosts.  Line dancing was by the Social staff.

If I was a serious high level dancer, I wouldn't be impressed with the hosts or hostess; but they were appropriately non-threatening for those just happy to dance.

You mention line dancing and I was curious about how it is on a port intensive cruise on the QE> We are social dancers as well, but I like to dance more than my husband does so I supplement it with line dancing at home. Are there many opportunities to line dance, and what dances would they do/teach. I'm trying to decide how many pairs of shoes to bring.

9 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

You mention line dancing and I was curious about how it is on a port intensive cruise on the QE> We are social dancers as well, but I like to dance more than my husband does so I supplement it with line dancing at home. Are there many opportunities to line dance, and what dances would they do/teach. I'm trying to decide how many pairs of shoes to bring.

Kmerlin. I will have to confess that due to a foot inflammation, I didn't line dance.....wanting to keep my options to ballroom. But a table mate when often. She line dances in Arizona quite a bit and still enjoyed the ship's options.

I don't keep the dailies, but I am thinking it was mostly available on sea days.

You know your feet and shoes best, but I had a slip on loafer packed to use for this and for wearing to dinner non formal nights. I suspect friend wore her ballet flats...they had a firm sole and maybe 1/2 inch heel. pretty compact and she wore them all over the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Kmerlin. I will have to confess that due to a foot inflammation, I didn't line dance.....wanting to keep my options to ballroom. But a table mate when often. She line dances in Arizona quite a bit and still enjoyed the ship's options.

I don't keep the dailies, but I am thinking it was mostly available on sea days.

You know your feet and shoes best, but I had a slip on loafer packed to use for this and for wearing to dinner non formal nights. I suspect friend wore her ballet flats...they had a firm sole and maybe 1/2 inch heel. pretty compact and she wore them all over the ship.

Thanks. Glad to hear your tablemate liked the line dancing. I have a pair I use just for line dancing because I can dance 6-8 hours in comfort, but I'm suspecting I'll leave them at home since we don't have too many sea days. I probably shouldn't go line dancing while we are cruising past the glaciers either. Might just pack some comfortable dressy dance sandles that might work for line dancing as well, clean runners with dance socks, and hiking sneakers because this one should be more about the scenery and the ports than the dancing. If we like this cruise, we plan to try a Transatlantic and this will help me decide for that.

1 hour ago, kmerlin14 said:

Thanks. Glad to hear your tablemate liked the line dancing. I have a pair I use just for line dancing because I can dance 6-8 hours in comfort, but I'm suspecting I'll leave them at home since we don't have too many sea days. I probably shouldn't go line dancing while we are cruising past the glaciers either. Might just pack some comfortable dressy dance sandles that might work for line dancing as well, clean runners with dance socks, and hiking sneakers because this one should be more about the scenery and the ports than the dancing. If we like this cruise, we plan to try a Transatlantic and this will help me decide for that.

Line dancing was only an hour a time, so whatever can be adapted if the opportunity arises and is convenient to you. Hope you enjoy the cruiseline. A port heavy schedule will be quite different to a transatlantic, but you should learn what you like about the line.

• Thanks 1

A quandry. I much prefer Cunard over Costa for everything except dancing. But Cunard itineraries often work out to triple Costa prices and I've had much better luck with partners on Costa in the last few years. If Cunard really is committed to reaching its old standards, it's worthwhile considering a future booking.

I don't consder bronze to be high-level, at least on Cunard, and with any sort of fitness and nutrition program, age really isn't significant. But if the hostess disappears for four days- hmmm....

Line dancing to ballroom rather than C&W is common around here. That kind should be fine in Yacht Club/Hemispheres but QR Orchestra music can be pretty dreary and off-tempo. Sequence dancing is a kind of line dancing for couples, but they demand exclusive use, unable/unwilling to share.

The main evening dancing on Cunard cruises in the Queen's Room is primarily ballroom and Latin, with the occasional Argentine Tango and Salsa, and an occasional 'disco' party evening after 9.15pm.  On the cruises I have been on, during sea days there tends to be an hour of zumba and an hour of line-dancing on sea-day mornings - both of which can be quite energetic, especially the zumba. Both are run as a class, and on QV over the festive season this year hosted by the entertainment manager for the zumba, and the line-dancing one of the other entertainment personnel, and done in the Queen's Room. However there is no line dancing during the evening dancing in the ballroom - it would not be possible to run line-dancing at the same time as ballroom and Latin on a floor of that size on any of the Cunard ships, and the traditional ballroom atmosphere would be very different, as would the music.  A few people do also come to watch the line-dancing on mornings in the ballroom, but in the evenings there are significant numbers of people who enjoy having a drink whilst watching the dancing., and make it a part of their enjoyment of the cruise as an alternative to going to the theatre or sitting in one of the bars on board.

19 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

A quandry. I much prefer Cunard over Costa for everything except dancing. But Cunard itineraries often work out to triple Costa prices and I've had much better luck with partners on Costa in the last few years. If Cunard really is committed to reaching its old standards, it's worthwhile considering a future booking.

I don't consder bronze to be high-level, at least on Cunard, and with any sort of fitness and nutrition program, age really isn't significant. But if the hostess disappears for four days- hmmm....

Line dancing to ballroom rather than C&W is common around here. That kind should be fine in Yacht Club/Hemispheres but QR Orchestra music can be pretty dreary and off-tempo. Sequence dancing is a kind of line dancing for couples, but they demand exclusive use, unable/unwilling to share.

There was only one 'line dancing to ballroom' and that was a samba - though performed slightly differently that what I am used to in Ottawa.  Line dancing to C&W was in the daytime and Sequence dancing was also scheduled separate to ballroom. It was nice to watch, but definitely something you need to have learned.  The hosts participated in it, as there were a number of women who do sequence dancing 'at home' without partners.

I am not sure why the female host was not there the last few days - it could have been illness so she wasn't spreading it around, or any number of valid reasons.

I don't know what level I would be assessed at, but I am not sure any dancers were at silver level.  The one male guest dancer was the best to partner with, so he may have silver ability, but no one to partner at that level with.  I could hold my own with his lead and he complemented me on my partnering, but otherwise, there were only one or two couples who 'might' have been at silver level.  Of course, that was just this cruise.

As far as fitness goes, there was a fellow in his mid-80's who was happy to 'drop and do 25' full-on toe and hand push ups - but he was a cowboy on the dance floor. Spry but hard to follow.

Perhaps your better bet is theme cruises or going with a known group.  We have a group here that use a TA in the US who organizes ballroom groups on cruises. They do use Cunard mostly these days, but not most dance at a Bronze-silver level - and not international.  Our local TA who dances with a well known ballroom studio used to organize them on Costa.

• 1 year later...

I came across this thread today - very interesting!

Cunard Queen Mary 2 on the Transatlantic cruise from London to NY April 18-25  will be my first Cunard cruise.

I am somewhat disappointed with dancing on Crystal and decided to try Cunard as an alternative.

On my first Crystal cruise a dance host, who claimed to be trained in international style and performing at the Arthur Murray in NY, could not lead and was continuously stepping on feet. He said that he used to be a dance host on Cunard!

The second cruise had 2 good dance-hosts out of 4.

One host on my third Crystal cruise was never on bit and was out of shape by any standards. 

I booked Cunard for the dancing and the quality of dance hosts is very important to me.

It would be my first cruise on Cunard. 

I am from US, female, a good ballroom dancer (or so I was told) but not international.

How many dance hosts are on Transatlantic cruises? Are they good enough dancers?

I saw some reviewers using word "shufflers".

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Sdancer

As a former Gentleman host for Cunard Let me explain how this works or did when I was on board. Coming from the US, yes the qualifications are minimal but all of the US booking agencies are gone now. You pay $50 a day for the privilege of sailing in an unadorned bare bones (no wall art, carpeting of note etc.) inside cabin all the way forward in the ship. All meals must be taken in the Buffet except lunch if you can squeeze it in between the various functions you are required to attend. You share a cabin with another gentlemen host -  pot luck.

So the day begins with the AM singles meet and greet that attracts from one to six singles and all of  the hosts. Many times out numbering the guests. Little is achieved here. From there one heads off to the dance class to act as partners to the vast number of ladies who attend either single or without husbands who refuse to participate. Then a fast lunch and if there is a Queens Room tea dance you are up for that. Dinner is early as you must be on the floor when the band strikes up the first number and remain on the floor for every dance. The seats around the small tables ringing the dance floor will have already been secured by the ladies who demand to be danced with every single dance and will complain if they are slighted. These complaints will be noted in the host's file. In addition to these perennial favorites (they sail with great frequency) one must search out the entire room for single women or ladies whose husbands do not or will not dance. But you must ask the husband for permission  then ask the lady to dance. 

All this lasts every evening until midnight. At that point having danced continuously for 5 hours plus the day time routine you usually head up to the buffet for a snack along with one or more of the aggressive singe ladies who really need companionship but Cunard forbids it (years ago a dance host could book a full world cruise, Now Cunard limits dance hosts to 30 days and you are off the ship). Sometimes one heads to the disco for a bit of up tempo dancing but generally it is off to bed and the routine begins anew the next day. Additionally, you must be present at all Cunard guest parties to mingle with the single ladies, including all sail-a-ways, captain's events etc. and if there is music you must offer to dance with all who wish it, and at the beginning of every new segments there is a more formal singles meet and greet that also must be attended.

This is not, for most people, fun as to be honest a number of the ladies can't dance a lick, have some personal hygiene problems, carry more baggage than the Titanic  and are more than demanding. But I digress. Cunard and all of the lines therefore have trouble recruiting high end dancers. They take what is available and sometimes they fall short. Many of the hosts are  beyond retirement age barely getting by on their social security and other pension money (no real catches here for legendary ship board romances) as young people usually have real jobs that do not allow that much time way from a paying position.

Edited by Lakesregion
afterthought
  • Like 1

Dear Lakesregion,

Thank you so very much for a detailed account of the many demands and responsibilities of the dance hosts on Cunard!

Yes, many solo ladies could not dance and some were very difficult with everyone as I discovered on my last Crystal cruise.

Age is not a problem if a dance host can dance and is fit. 

At home my best dance partner of many years was 82 y. old and very fit when we met. He had to stop dancing well into his 90's.

My most recent dance partner at home was 77, fit, a former competition dancer.

I am not the same high level dancer but find dancing enjoyable with good dancers only.

Your post will help me not to expect too much from dancing on Cunard and try to enjoy what else will be available on the ship.

I have the feeling that it might be my first and last Cunard cruise since my only reason for booking was dancing :(. 

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, Sdancer said:

Dear Lakesregion,

Thank you so very much for a detailed account of the many demands and responsibilities of the dance hosts on Cunard!

Yes, many solo ladies could not dance and some were very difficult with everyone as I discovered on my last Crystal cruise.

Age is not a problem if a dance host can dance and is fit. 

At home my best dance partner of many years was 82 y. old and very fit when we met. He had to stop dancing well into his 90's.

My most recent dance partner at home was 77, fit, a former competition dancer.

I am not the same high level dancer but find dancing enjoyable with good dancers only.

Your post will help me not to expect too much from dancing on Cunard and try to enjoy what else will be available on the ship.

I have the feeling that it might be my first and last Cunard cruise since my only reason for booking was dancing :(. 

Thanks again!

I would not write off the possibility of finding a decent partner. My suggestion is to observe from the upper seats for a bit. There you can watch the entire floor and the hosts are easily identified as they all must dress alike. Usually one or more are capable. Find them and zero in in a nice way and the evenings will be fine. Also there may well be single men not dance hots who are good dancers. Be aware because they have no Cunard restrictions as to their intentions.

5 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I would not write off the possibility of finding a decent partner. My suggestion is to observe from the upper seats for a bit. There you can watch the entire floor and the hosts are easily identified as they all must dress alike. Usually one or more are capable. Find them and zero in in a nice way and the evenings will be fine. Also there may well be single men not dance hots who are good dancers. Be aware because they have no Cunard restrictions as to their intentions.

Dear Lakesregion,

Thank you so much!

I will follow your valuable advice and hope for the best.

Bob, I think the most likely way to assure having good dance partners is to be a part of an organized dance group.  I have gone on many dance group cruises, all different styles.  The chances of finding a good partner improves with the size of the group, and it always favors the leaders.  I have only encountered a couple of female hostesses, and they were members of the ship's dance troupe.  They were wonderful followers to whatever I wanted to lead because of their skill level, not necessarily specific style training.  Most of the time, due to the unpredictable nature of the demographics of each voyage, it always seems like a test of adaptation and fundamental leader skills.   Some groups do take hosts, but they are always leaders.  Thankfully some female group instructors make a point to social dance with all the participants.

I am booked on my first Cunard cruise on the QM2 in September (7-night Canada/New England), and I have a question for those familiar with how the dance hosts work.  I have been a social ballroom and Argentine tango dancer for 20+ years, but my husband was a non-dancer before we met 4 years ago, and is still only comfortable with a few of the ballroom dances.  I would like to have the opportunity to dance with some of the dance hosts for the dances where my husband doesn't want to dance.  I'm wondering how I can let the dance hosts know that I want to dance, since they may assume that I just want to dance with my husband.  What is the protocol for that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sonoma03 said:

I am booked on my first Cunard cruise on the QM2 in September (7-night Canada/New England), and I have a question for those familiar with how the dance hosts work.  I have been a social ballroom and Argentine tango dancer for 20+ years, but my husband was a non-dancer before we met 4 years ago, and is still only comfortable with a few of the ballroom dances.  I would like to have the opportunity to dance with some of the dance hosts for the dances where my husband doesn't want to dance.  I'm wondering how I can let the dance hosts know that I want to dance, since they may assume that I just want to dance with my husband.  What is the protocol for that?

Appreciate your answer since we are in the same situation and my wife mentioned it just a day or two ago. Sort of in the same boat (ship)....lol......

Just got off Costa Luminosa, with a large dance group including my silver/gold friends. More dance venues and better music than Cunard, even not counting group activities. The cruise staff do dance with passengers. The guys were not very good but were close to a half-century younger than Cunard hosts. A couple of the women were quite good at a pre-bronze level, good balance and poise.

My gold friend is talking about putting together an informal group on Cunard, but looking at itineraries/prices, I don't think it's going to happen.

Two very common faults, easy to spot- lady places her left hand behind the man's shoulder, which causes her to flop on the man, no backward poise, he has to carry her around. Lady turns her head to the right and pants in the man's face, causes her body to twist right, preventing the man from moving his right leg or making reverse turns. (Latin is less obvious, losing balance on turns). Hosts have to put up with this, You can get an idea of their competence by how well they cope, but you can't really see from deck 3. The hosts report to the Social Hostess, talk to her (I find the idea that you are your husband's property to be utterly ridiculous in the #MeToo era).

I believe at least one American agency is still providing hosts, as far as I know the standards are as low as ever. I agree with Lakesregion that few hosts have much money, I do wonder about the motives of the ones who can't dance.

Small groups are usually expensive and the hosts teachers trying to sell lessons. Not really fun to dance with and try to teach what I don't want to learn.