Credit Cards onboard

joy4ron

We are going on our first cruise in March, and I'm trying to get all of my details in order.

One of our friends said that she had a problem using a certain brand of credit card onboard.  (I think it was American Express)

Could anyone help me out with this?

I have Visa and MC cards, and my Debit card is a Discover (I know- weird right?). I just want to be sure that I will be able to access any money that I have.  We have no idea how much we will or won't spend.

Thank you

You will set up your expense acct when you complete the online checkin (which you should be able to do now). All transaction conducted onboard will be billed to your sail n sign acct. That acct will be secured by the credit card of your choosing. Not sure about Amex, always used Visa or MC. Discover also accepted. There's also an ATM onboard where you can use your debit card.

From Carnival's website (reference: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account)

Acceptable Cards

• Visa Card and Visa Gift Card
  • MasterCard and MasterCard Gift Card
  • An ATM/Debit Cashing Card may be used as long as it is a registered MasterCard or Visa Card.
  • The Discover Card and Discover Gift Card
  • American Express Card and the Carnival Corporation Reward Card from American Express
  • Diner's Club and Diner's Club Gift Card
  • JCB Card only

It appears you can use your AMEX, but not a Discover debit card.

Edited by bbtbear

I don’t think any of the previous posts specifically stated this, but you can’t use your credit card on the ship. All purchases made on the ship are thru your S&S card, which you will receive on embarkation day.  As previously stated, this card is tied to your expense account that you establish with a credit or debit card or with cash.  I have cruised on Carnival 24 times and I have used my AMX card every time without an issue. 

It's possible the OP's friend meant that they had trouble using an AMEX cc in one of the ports, rather than on the ship (where a CC is used at check-in to set up your S&S acct).

Stores in port are more likely to take a MC rather than an AMEX cc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joy4ron said:

One of our friends said that she had a problem using a certain brand of credit card onboard

On board, pretty specific. You are right as far as on shore, as Amex is very expensive for merchants in the Caribbean

It could be that they had been gifted an AMEX gift card and they wouldn't take that for their account.  And you CAN use other cards onboard...If you want to make a particularly expensive purchase onboard you can ask to use a different card...Perhaps it is to be a surprise and you don't want it to appear on your stateroom account...EM

Thank you.

I was mostly concerned about my Debit card being a Discover.  All of my CC's are Visa or MC, but the ones I was planning to use have lower limits, and I've been debating my approach. I don't expect to go crazy on my spending, but Wife and I, plus our 18 y/o son will be cruising for the first time< so I don't really know what to expect.

I may put him on one of our cards for the S&S and Wife and I on another. I plan on using cash in the ports.

Our friends had some issues with AMEX, and my wife thought that we could only use Visa for the S&S account

1 hour ago, joy4ron said:

Thank you.

I was mostly concerned about my Debit card being a Discover.  All of my CC's are Visa or MC, but the ones I was planning to use have lower limits, and I've been debating my approach. I don't expect to go crazy on my spending, but Wife and I, plus our 18 y/o son will be cruising for the first time< so I don't really know what to expect.

I may put him on one of our cards for the S&S and Wife and I on another. I plan on using cash in the ports.

Our friends had some issues with AMEX, and my wife thought that we could only use Visa for the S&S account

Watch out for using your debit card as Carnival puts hold on your card based on the number of nights and people (specific info is on their website).  While the holds fall off credit cards quickly, not the case with debit cards.  Your money could be held up for a week or so.