Rhine water levels 2019 and similar topics

notamermaid

The exceptionally hot temperatures will stay with us in the Rhine valley for a few days. On Saturday rain is coming, with Basel probably seeing some heavy rain on Sunday.

This will raise the river's levels substantially which is already displayed in the prediction graph for Maxau. This should give us a few more good days and it makes the rest of July being not a worry for river cruising as the graph at Kaub should stay well above 90cm.

notamermaid

22 minutes ago, Smbruner said:

We will be on the Rhine October 10 - 23, 2019 (Scenic Cruise) is there a website that I can follow to see what the river news might be?  

Do you mean October 9 to 23?  If so we’ll see you there. 

I use pegelonline.wsv.de to keep track of river levels. I’m hopeful that as the summer plays out cruisers will post about what is going on as they cruise. 

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

Do you mean October 9 to 23?  If so we’ll see you there. 

I use pegelonline.wsv.de to keep track of river levels. I’m hopeful that as the summer plays out cruisers will post about what is going on as they cruise. 

Yes, that's the cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest (we are actually on the Rhine though beginning October 10 so that's why  have that date listed.  

Are you on the Scenic Opal as well?  This is our first ever European River Cruise so we're very excited about it. Just worried about the water levels as I read it was an issue last year.

On 7/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, Smbruner said:

Yes, that's the cruise - Amsterdam to Budapest (we are actually on the Rhine though beginning October 10 so that's why  have that date listed.  

Are you on the Scenic Opal as well?  This is our first ever European River Cruise so we're very excited about it. Just worried about the water levels as I read it was an issue last year.

We’ll be on Scenic Crystal going to Basel. Our first cruise was on Scenic Opal, a very nice ship and experience. 

Based on last year’s Rhine thread we should be good to go as long as the Kaub gauge stays above around 80cm. So far this year is better than last year so I’m staying optimistic. 

The rain has been plentiful and Kaub has risen to 170cm. The level still has not reached the peak so the next 7 to 10 days will be fine for sailing and it looks very promising for the week after that.

notamermaid

What a difference a year makes. Last July 29 notamermaid reported the level at Kaub as 86cm. The most recent reading today is 172cm.  

Last year it it seemed like rain was usually in the forecast about four days in the future, but never seemed to arrive. This year so far it seems like forecasted rain actually happens. I hope this trend continued through our October cruise!

• Like 2

jeb_bud,

Thank you for looking up last year's figure. Really reassuring about this year. While we have not reached Autumn yet we can at least see that August will not be a repeat of last year. Kaub is currently at 193cm. And rain is forecast for the Upper Rhine valley.

notamermaid

The river at Kaub has fallen again since it peaked at 200cm on 31 July. Currently at 187cm, it all looks good for river cruising for quite a few days to come. The report of the BAfG authorities shows a rarer publication of the tendency for the coming 10 days at Kaub and the level is very unlikely to fall below 120cm.

But as we established a while ago - and I know I am repeating myself - all is not well in Europe and the authorities are warning of more extreme weather in the years to come.

Here is what Deutsche Welle has to say about the situation on the Rhine: https://m.dw.com/en/german-businesses-fear-repeat-of-historic-shutdown-of-rhine-river/a-49832263

Today, though, danger is much more imminent in England in the county of Derbyshire. After heavy rainfall in the Peak District mountains a dam at Whaley Bridge has been damaged and if it breaks millions of gallons of water will rush through the small town. 1500 people have been evacuated. I was in the vicinity only 8 days ago making it feel more intense than if I had never been to the area. I live close to a river and when younger was 12 hours away from an evacuation order one winter. I am so grateful it never came and could stay. How terrible it must be to just have to stand and wait to see if more rain comes or the emergency services can pump enough water out of the reservoir.

Experts talk of wetter years for many areas of the UK to come with climate change. An increasingly worrying prospect.

notamermaid

The level at Kaub is falling at around 8cm per 24 hours but rain forecast for 4 days within the next 8 should alter this trend to benefit river traffic. At 154cm tonight, Kaub is still doing much better than this time last year.

At Whaley Bridge in England water is still being pumped out from the reservoir with the village still being at risk. No chance of residents returning within the next couple of days.

notamermaid

Last year in August our Rhine River cruise was cancelled.  Fast forward to August 2019...We left Basel on Saturday, currently in Strasbourg & enroute to Baden Baden tonight.  The weather so far had been hot, hot, hot!  Lots of water & smooth sailing so far.  I understand they may be some showers enroute, but with continued hot weather.  I'll post later, should I learn anything from the crew respecting water level for the next few weeks.

• Like 2

Learned from one of the Emerald Sun's officers that the prognosis for the Rhine River will be good to the end of the season.  Last nite, while at Mannheim, the river level was approximately a little above 3+ metres.  The weather has been pretty good so far, albeit, we had a thunder shower during our dinner hour in Rastatt, the day before. Yesterday, while in Heidelberg during our day excursion, we had sporadic rain.  Today, we're in Koblenz, with high clouds.  We're suppose to get around 80*C today.  Picture, while docked in Mannheim.

DSC07250.JPG

• Like 2

Foodpolice,

Thank you for the info and the photo. Sounds splendid.

In England the dam I reported about has been made safe by pumping off so much water that the reservoir is only a quarter full. The residents of Whaley Bridge returned to their homes yesterday.

notamermaid

• Like 2

I just completed a lovely Rhine river cruise with Avalon.  No worries about Rhine water levels through the early fall.  This comes straight from the captains mouth to your ears/  Enjoy this wonderful experience if you have a cruise planned.

• Like 4

On 8/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, gailellen12 said:

I just completed a lovely Rhine river cruise with Avalon.  No worries about Rhine water levels through the early fall.  This comes straight from the captains mouth to your ears/  Enjoy this wonderful experience if you have a cruise planned.

Thank you for the info. Great to hear my tentative good thoughts and expectations for the next weeks confirmed by the experts on the water.

And happy to hear you had a great time!

At 191cm, Kaub is indeed looking very promising and as long as it rains a little here and there a sharp drop is highly unlikely.

Looking towards the Danube the situation is also pleasant at the moment while the Elbe is struggling.

The 5th update of the BAfG low water report was published yesterday. In it, the authorities this time give us a direct comparison of the levels one year ago and yesterday, following are the figures, first the gauge, then 2018, then 2019:

(Lake) Constance 326   390

Maxau 372   493

Kaub 65   157

Duisburg Ruhrort 198   277

So good to read that. And the outlook in the report is also good for Rhine, Danube and a little for the Weser river. The Elbe does not have good prospects.

Personally, I have returned from a longer trip to my beloved island in the North Sea that is slowly drifting further into chaos. Getting ready to face work again and catching up on things with my sources here on the Rhine.

Bye for now.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The water level news is music to my ears since we depart Amsterdam on August 24th.   Sad to hear the news regarding Britain, the land of my birth.  I have never once regretted leaving it for Canada.

Tonight is the big night for Koblenz. Rhine in Flames will illuminate castles and hillsides, culminating in the huge fireworks over Ehrenbreitstein Fortress. Local boats and a few river cruise ships sail past, all lit-up. It is a great spectacle! Very crowded, I shall stay at home. Someone who was similarly inclined asked me today if it is possible to see the fireworks from further afield. Indeed it is from a few spots without much vegetation. Perhaps I will do that next year...

If you would like to be part of the celebrations next year, here is the official website: https://www.rhein-in-flammen.com/ruedesheim-bingen-gb/ruedesheim-bingen-gb.html

A smaller event will happen later this year.

Looking at the water levels it appears that the experts are expecting quite a rise following rain that is coming down this weekend and into the beginning of next week. More on that probably on Monday.

notamermaid

Oh we will be about two weeks too late to see the fireworks.  Our trip includes a visit to the Ehrenbreitstein fortress and I imagine it would be a wonderful experience seeing the fireworks from a cruise ship.  Happy to hear about the rain coming to increase water levels.  But it can stop for the last week of August (please)!!

Hello Notamermaid:

We've returned from the Viking Rhine Getaway cruise we took in late June.  I believe you've mentioned the crowds getting larger at the more common excursions (Marksburg and Heidelburg Castles, for example).  There were hundreds of tourists at both sites, just to mention two.  It wasn't Viking's fault that the popular sites were packed with people.  We had a grand vacation on the Rhine, though.  Our 7-hour tour of Strausburg was simply grand- as was the food and wine 😋.  One of our best dinners was at the Restaurant Ratsstube in Rudesheim- we didn't take a tour; we just spent a very nice four hours walking through the town- at a senior citizen's pace 😊.  Again, thank you so much for your information, personal observations and humor.  We knew what to expect prior to our journey by reading your posts.  And yes, we offered a toast to you with glasses of Riesling while sitting topside on the Viking Lofn as promised.

RX101039.JPG

Edited by Mike R 2018

49 minutes ago, Mike R 2018 said:

Hello Notamermaid:

We've returned from the Viking Rhine Getaway cruise we took in late June.  I believe you've mentioned the crowds getting larger at the more common excursions (Marksburg and Heidelburg Castles, for example).  There were hundreds of tourists at both sites, just to mention two.  It wasn't Viking's fault that the popular sites were packed with people.  We had a grand vacation on the Rhine, though.  Our 7-hour tour of Strausburg was simply grand- as was the food and wine 😋.  One of our best dinners was at the Restaurant Ratsstube in Rudesheim- we didn't take a tour; we just spent a very nice four hours walking through the town- at a senior citizen's pace 😊.  Again, thank you so much for your information, personal observations and humor.  We knew what to expect prior to our journey by reading your posts.  And yes, we offered a toast to you with glasses of Riesling while sitting topside on the Viking Lofn as promised.

RX101039.JPG

Mike R 2018,

good to read you had a great cruise. And thank you so much for thinking about me on your travels. I shall retire to bed with a smile on my face and hopefully sleep like a child that has been told a beautiful bedtime story. 🙂🙂

notamermaid