Storage space in DV versus PV cabins?

Wendy The Wanderer

10 hours ago, jiminyC_fan said:

That really surprises me.  My husband and myself are heavy packers and the DV closet was just fine for our 14 or 15 day cruise.  That included heavier coats and clothes for the colder climate.  Getting to the closet really wasn't an issue with either one of us or for that matter sometimes both of us wanted in it at the same time.

Was there enough drawer space for you?

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

We keep booking the same cabin as well. Feels like coming home 😁

Good tip about the trash can and the curtain. I think that wind tunnel effect is universal with ocean ships. We have encountered it before. 5101 - our favorite has the hinged door with the window. 

We couldn’t get 5101 for our Trade Routes cruise, so we are in 5102. I’m hoping the configuration is the same. 

I’m sure it is (both PV1) but going by it’s position relative to 5101 (just checked the VO site) it will be its mirror image in terms of cabin orientation. 

2 hours ago, moatenote said:

The slider vs. door seems to alternate--so 5102 may have the slider.  If you email Tellus@viking.com, they will tell you.   

Really? I just assumed based on our experience that all PVs have doors not sliders. Learn something new every day!

39 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Really? I just assumed based on our experience that all PVs have doors not sliders. Learn something new every day!

I wish!!  We had our first PV cabin (5011) on our last cruise, "Eastern Seaboard" in October.  We had the regular door (which we didn't like) and our fellow travelers had the slider in the cabin next to us (5012).   

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Was there enough drawer space for you?

There definitely was enough and we didn't even pull out the luggage once to store anything.  With that said, we did ask for the coffee maker to be removed which gave us a lot of room for other things.   We under utilized the storage in the bathroom. 

1 hour ago, moatenote said:

I wish!!  We had our first PV cabin (5011) on our last cruise, "Eastern Seaboard" in October.  We had the regular door (which we didn't like) and our fellow travelers had the slider in the cabin next to us (5012).   

Huh? Next to you? Don’t think so - all the odds are on the starboard side and all the evens on the port side. Also the twin (directly across on the port side) to 5011 is actually  5010; the twin to 5012 is 5013. (checked the layouts of deck 5 for all six ships to make sure I’m not blowing smoke). But the assumption that there’s a pattern (what I was getting to ready to claim) doesn’t work cuz I know that 5013 has a regular door (if 5012 and 5013 are indeed twins). 5013 is the cabin we’ve had on the Sky and Star and will have on the Sea. Hmmm. Truly a mystery. Is there some other kind of pattern or is it just random? I find the idea of randomness a bit unsettling so there must be some other driving rationale behind which cabin got a regular vice a sliding door. Something to ponder. 🤔

We didn't like the wooden door at all on our Sky cruise,  a PV1 on deck 6 aft.  Very disappointed; we were sure to get sliding door (5029) for upcoming Med Odyssey in May.  Rep described the difference as needed "bones" to the ships.  It's a matter of preference,  I think some like the window next to window with the door. In any event, we had plenty of storage space in DV and much more in PV as light packers. 

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

Huh? Next to you? Don’t think so - all the odds are on the starboard side and all the evens on the port side. Also the twin (directly across on the port side) to 5011 is actually  5010; the twin to 5012 is 5013. (checked the layouts of deck 5 for all six ships to make sure I’m not blowing smoke). But the assumption that there’s a pattern (what I was getting to ready to claim) doesn’t work cuz I know that 5013 has a regular door (if 5012 and 5013 are indeed twins). 5013 is the cabin we’ve had on the Sky and Star and will have on the Sea. Hmmm. Truly a mystery. Is there some other kind of pattern or is it just random? I find the idea of randomness a bit unsettling so there must be some other driving rationale behind which cabin got a regular vice a sliding door. Something to ponder. 🤔

Oops, my bad.  Our traveling companions were in 5009 and we were in 5011.  We had a regular door and they had a slider.  When I asked Tellus@viking .com about the configuration of balcony doors on our next cruise (the Jupiter), our cabin 5032 will have the regular door and our fellow travelers next door (not sure if it's 5031 or 5033) will again have a slider.  It just seemed to me that the pattern may be that every other room has the same layout.

Edited by moatenote

20 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I read that it has to do with the placement of support beams. The cabins with the hinged door have one of these beams that prevent a slider from sliding. 

16 hours ago, rudychance said:

We didn't like the wooden door at all on our Sky cruise,  a PV1 on deck 6 aft.  Very disappointed; we were sure to get sliding door (5029) for upcoming Med Odyssey in May.  Rep described the difference as needed "bones" to the ships.  It's a matter of preference,  I think some like the window next to window with the door. In any event, we had plenty of storage space in DV and much more in PV as light packers. 

You had a wooden door going out to the balcony?  That seems strange. I’ve never seen that. 

We liked the hinged door, because then you get a window next to the couch. You can sit there and see outside