Storage space in DV versus PV cabins?

Wendy The Wanderer

Hi, I know that none of these cabins have a walk-in closet.  This might make them feel roomier, I'm thinking.  But how extensive and well-designed is the storage space available?  Are the cabins well laid-out? How well would they work for a long cruise, like a world cruise?  

Hello Wendy ,

We have stayed in a PV cabin ( Twice) and been very happy - there is loads of storage space in the wardrobes, shelves, drawers, by the bed and under the bed! Last time we were on board we had several empty drawers and my lovely wife does not travel light!  The bathroom has masses of space for your essentials. We have not stayed in a DV cabin but my understanding is that there is less space due to the way the cabin is laid out but that generally speaking again there is ample space for most requirements. We started out on our first trip in a Junior Suite for a special celebration but quickly decided thar the extra cost was just not worth it!! It was lovely to be up on the 8th floor but the PV cabins seem to us to have that great balance of early bookings, space to relax , and amenities that we value. We have been happiest on the 4th floor as we can then walk everywhere without the lift!  There used to be a big difference in the price of PV cabins between the categories but this is now almost non existent. I guess those who like them have worked out that there is little benefit in being on a higher floor. We like to be towards the front of deck 4 (away from the lift) which are the cheaper ones and in our opinion the best sited!! I think you would be very happy in one of these for a world cruise - we are going to Asia in April for 28 days and that is what we have booked ( although we could only get a 5th floor at the back as the whole cruise was sold out when we booked a year ago and we took a cancellation) .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Check out the dimensions given in their catalog but off the top of my head I’d say much bigger. 

I did check size and updated my post.  I'm guessing the same storage or maybe a little more in the Ocean cabin.  It's nice to put suitcases under the bed.

Sorry for the tangent... now back to PV cabin size.

Edited by zitsky

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I did check size and updated my post.  I'm guessing the same storage or maybe a little more in the Ocean cabin.  It's nice to put suitcases under the bed.

Sorry for the tangent... now back to PV cabin size.

PVs are SPACIOUS. Our usual on VR is the Verandah Suite and on VO is PV. The PV has easily three or more times the storage space. We love it. I’m guessing that the comparison between DVs on VR and VO is similar, at least twice as much. Just a guess tho. 

56 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone know?  Is an ocean DV room (270 sf) about the same as a river DV (205 sf) in terms of storage space?

We were in a PV but had booked a DV and got an upgrade.  On our river cruises we do a Veranda B.  On some ocean ships they added drawers in the closet, so you have more drawer space.  There are only 2 drawers in the DV on the older ocean ships - Star and Sea unless they have been retro-fitted.

In the regular Veranda cabins on the river ships, you have 2 sets of 3 drawers under the TV.  The drawers in the DV cabins on the Star and the Sea are under the coffee maker.  What looks like a top drawer is the safe.

I was worried about the drawer space when I booked the DV for our West Indies cruise, but as I mentioned, we got an upgrade to a PV and it was wonderful!  We booked PVs for our next 2 VOCs

We were in 5101 and loved it - great location.  We could use the stairs and usually did!

I highly recommend viewing the 360 of each type room on the Viking website.  I didn't do more than a cursory glance and I thought the DV and the PV looked fairly close in configuration.  I didn't notice that the closet in the V and DV category is next to the bed.  In the PV it's in a little hallway.  You have drawers under the coffee maker, drawers in the credenza under the TV, plus 2 shelves, plus a set of drawers in the desk.  I actually had drawers we didn't use.

Haven't been on Viking River, and don't intend to be, so I can't make that comparison.  I've looked at the cabins online, but can't really tell about storage.  Sounds like the DV storage is not that great, from what I'm reading here.  I consider the space under the bed only for emergencies or seasonal changes--stuff that you rarely use.  Don't want to be going into my suitcases every day.

We were in a DV (same size as V) for the world cruise .  Yes, more room would have been nice!!!  but we were fine...we used the under the bed suitcases for our purchases, extra toiletries, and warmer clothes that we rarely needed!  The additional drawers in the closet I think are a must for LONG cruises (21 days without was OK).  We also brought magnetic hooks for jackets and bathing suits.  The shelf on the top of the closet (1/2 if there are drawers ) is only accessible for a tall person (I am 5'2")and can not see the shelf!  Fortunately husband is a foot taller.

1 hour ago, deec said:

We were in a DV (same size as V) for the world cruise .  Yes, more room would have been nice!!!  but we were fine...we used the under the bed suitcases for our purchases, extra toiletries, and warmer clothes that we rarely needed!  The additional drawers in the closet I think are a must for LONG cruises (21 days without was OK).  We also brought magnetic hooks for jackets and bathing suits.  The shelf on the top of the closet (1/2 if there are drawers ) is only accessible for a tall person (I am 5'2")and can not see the shelf!  Fortunately husband is a foot taller.

I use packing cubes so might work to put those up on the top shelf so can be pulled down easily, accessed, and then tossed back up for shorter people???   Also, on cruises I tend to hang a lot to items I don't hang at home, like hubby's T shirts. I usually ask for extra hangers first thing.   I also find putting our carry ons under the bed at the end of the bed very easy to access for less used items, and also used magnetic hooks which can also be used for keeping papers (dailys, excursion tickets ect.) off the tables or other shelves.  

Yes, there are several drawers there, just outside the bathroom.  The safe is in the top one .  We asked the cabin steward to remove the coffee maker, and this gave us  a big open space to put stuff.  And each nightstand has one drawer and an open space below the drawer.

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Viking Star

OK so you are right about the drawers and there are none in the closet.  The  drawers. opening into the hallway area are as wide as a hanger and a little longer.  In the picture of the closet you can see where the door to the closet closest to the hallway closes is the back of the drawer unit.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:52 PM, moatenote said:

We've been in DV and PV.  The PV is definitely worth the extra $$ in our opinion. Not only is it considerably bigger, but the closet is not alongside the bed but is across the room near the door.

This mirrors my thinking.  We originally booked a DV4 for our first Viking Ocean cruise, but we got a good upgrade offer to a PV1 just before the cruise.  It was such a fabulous cabin that we are completely spoiled. We have the same one booked for our next cruise and the equivalent on the other side for the cruise after that!  Our favorite was booked. 

Cabin 5101 had the Veranda door and the window as opposed to the sliding door and no window. I’m hoping 5102 is the same configuration. 

9 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

This mirrors my thinking.  We originally booked a DV4 for our first Viking Ocean cruise, but we got a good upgrade offer to a PV1 just before the cruise.  It was such a fabulous cabin that we are completely spoiled. We have the same one booked for our next cruise and the equivalent on the other side for the cruise after that!  Our favorite was booked. 

Cabin 5101 had the Veranda door and the window as opposed to the sliding door and no window. I’m hoping 5102 is the same configuration. 

We picked 5013 (a PV2) on our first VO cruise on the Star in 2016, asked for it again last year on the Sky, and again on the Sea next year.  We like consistency. One thing we did find that I'm sure is not unique to PV cabins but is common to any cabin with a door (not a sliding door) is the effect of the wind, whether ship passage generated or because of the weather, whenever you open the door. Particularly the suction effect on the poor curtain. I found that shoving the curtain behind the heavy trash can next to the desk kept the curtain from billowing outside whenever the door was opened. One also had to be very careful and thorough when closing the door; otherwise, prepare yourself for wind whistling and door rattling. 😁

On 1/17/2019 at 9:18 AM, coralfriend said:

I was solo in a DV cabin on a Viking ocean cruise.  Closet is very awkward to get to

and way too small.

That really surprises me.  My husband and myself are heavy packers and the DV closet was just fine for our 14 or 15 day cruise.  That included heavier coats and clothes for the colder climate.  Getting to the closet really wasn't an issue with either one of us or for that matter sometimes both of us wanted in it at the same time.

13 hours ago, CharTrav said:

We picked 5013 (a PV2) on our first VO cruise on the Star in 2016, asked for it again last year on the Sky, and again on the Sea next year.  We like consistency. One thing we did find that I'm sure is not unique to PV cabins but is common to any cabin with a door (not a sliding door) is the effect of the wind, whether ship passage generated or because of the weather, whenever you open the door. Particularly the suction effect on the poor curtain. I found that shoving the curtain behind the heavy trash can next to the desk kept the curtain from billowing outside whenever the door was opened. One also had to be very careful and thorough when closing the door; otherwise, prepare yourself for wind whistling and door rattling. 😁

We keep booking the same cabin as well. Feels like coming home 😁

Good tip about the trash can and the curtain. I think that wind tunnel effect is universal with ocean ships. We have encountered it before. 5101 - our favorite has the hinged door with the window. 

We couldn’t get 5101 for our Trade Routes cruise, so we are in 5102. I’m hoping the configuration is the same.