Just Off The Regal!

antmaril

We disembarked yesterday from our one week Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Regal (Jan 6-13).  I took this same cruise last year wth a girlfriend.  This year I was with my cousin, who was on the Regal for the first time.  We had a great week.  Beautiful weather with lots of sun! We had a Club Class Mini-Suite (B414), which we loved.  I stayed in that same cabin last year, so I knew it was a good choice.  We had an extended angled balcony, which gave us a little more room.  

Everyone on board had the Ocean Medallion.  It worked very well.   Opened our cabin door and used it to get on and off the ship.  When purchasing something (either a drink or in a store), they just used the number on our cruise card.  They also looked at the cruise card for the dining room.  We had Club Class dining, which was nice.  Of course, we couldn’t share a table, which would have been nice for us every once in a while.  We went to regular anytime dining room once, to see if we could share, but the line was long, so we went back to our CC Dining Room (Concerto).   Service was excellent.  We had Lilliana three times and love her.  Food was very good, but we are not really too critical.  

I only have have a couple of complaints.  I reserved a Bungalow on Princess Cays for the day ($199).  I did this last year and it was great.  Gave us some relief from the sun (palm trees) and the bungalow itself is air conditioned.  I was hoping for a Bungalow in the same area as the one I had last year (#6).  I watched the website to see how the Bungalows were selling and I was the sixth person to book one.  When we arrived on Princess Cays, we were given Bungalow #2 (so much for my theory).   I was immediately disappointed because there was a beverage truck parked next to the Bungalow close to the walkway.  It completely blocked our view of the water on the right hand side.  There was a “hut” next to the area with some Princess staff and I said to one of them “You are going to move that truck, right?”   He looked at me like I had two heads.   I repeated my question and was told “No, the truck is there all day”.  I was stunned.  Really????   They went to ask someone else about the truck.  I told them I was also concerned because there was absolutely no relief from the sun around the bungalow.    Then, I asked if there was another Bungalow available that would have a full view and some relief from the sun.  Eventually, I was offered #15, but declined because it was a long way from everything and even more exposed to the sun.  We decided to stay put because there was an area across the walkway with trees and we could stay close to our stuff.  However, we could have parked ourselves there all day and not spent $200.  Bungalow #9 was in a perfect location and was empty all day.  Walked by it several times and nobody using it.  Apparently, it had been assigned to people who never showed up.  I complained at the Excursion Desk and a few days later was told that nothing could be done because they offered me #15 and I declined.  They only offered #15 after I asked about moving.  Moving us was not their idea.  They weren’t really offering anything.  Anyway, it has left a bad taste in my mouth because it is the principle.   I am sure many people will agree that if we were unhappy with the view, we should have moved to #15 once it was offered.    It just wasn’t the experience we were hoping for and i was disappointed.  I think it is because last year my experience was great.  

My only other complaint was that I was given a $30 non-refundable credit and when I boarded I add money to my account from gift cards I received for Christmas.  I didn’t spend all of the money in the account and they are deducting the $30 non-refundable credit from the amount they are refunding me.   Apparently, I should have added the gift cards after I spent the $30 non-refundable credit.  Lesson learned there.

All in all, we had a great week.  Food, drinks, shows, relaxation and warm weather.  Big fun!

2 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

What was your opinion of the buffet?

Lots of choices at the buffet.  Very expansive and easy to find a seat.  I really don’t have any complaints about the buffet.  We always found something good to eat.  

Interesting about the OBC. On our last cruise all the non-refundable credit was deducted first, but we didn't have any gift card credit so maybe that's different. 

Thanks for the review, we're looking forward to being on the Regal in less than 3 weeks!

13 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Interesting about the OBC. On our last cruise all the non-refundable credit was deducted first, but we didn't have any gift card credit so maybe that's different. 

Thanks for the review, we're looking forward to being on the Regal in less than 3 weeks!

Last year I had non-refundable credit and gift cards and they used the non-refundable credit first.  I just assumed the same would happen this year.  Nope.  

Another thing that was different this year is that on the last day I went to the Internet Cafe in the afternoon to ask them if they would print my boarding pass.  They wouldn’t unless I paid for 24 hours of internet service for $19.99.   Um, no thanks.  Last year, I did the same and my boarding pass was printed at no charge to me.  

Have fun on your cruise!

Edited by antmaril

Thanks for the info on the non-refundable credit. We are sailing over both our birthdays and I am sure some family members intend to gift us some credit as they usually do. I will now advise them not to do so.

If it were me I would follow up on that $30 with a complaint to customer service.. I know it seems petty but their policy seems completely wrong if that is what they are doing now. 

Edited by hllwdcruiser

We were on this same cruise.  It was only our 2nd Princess cruise in 10 months - both on the Regal.  We are long time Royal Caribbean cruisers with only 1 Celebrity cruise.  We really liked this ship last March which is why we booked it again.  Princess to us has the easiest on/off ever.  We ate in the buffet, anytime dining and Crown Grill.  Some of the buffet items were there all the time but we had no issues with any of our dining.  Crew friendly, very good entertainment, beautiful weather and smooth sailing.  Couldn't ask for anything more!  A very good week!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Thanks for the info on the non-refundable credit. We are sailing over both our birthdays and I am sure some family members intend to gift us some credit as they usually do. I will now advise them not to do so.

If it were me I would follow up on that $30 with a complaint to customer service.. I know it seems petty but their policy seems completely wrong if that is what they are doing now. 

I sent an email this morning to Customer Relations concerning the Bungalow situation and the non-refundable credit.  I am usually not one to complain, but how do they know if we don’t bring these things to their attention?  In my email, I asked if they would want Bungalow #2 for their family?  I don’t think they would.  Who wants an ubstructed view for the same amount of $ as a Bungalow with a beautiful view?  Nobody I know.  

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

so they could or would not move it like forward a few feet?

Give me a break; they COULD move it but, they WOULD NOT move it.  Talk about good customer service; glad the rest of the cruise was good; thanks for a great review; looking forward to our March cruise on the Regal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom33 said:

You deserve a refund on that bungalow🤨.

I think so, too, but I am pretty sure it won’t happen because they offered us (after I asked for one in a better location with some shade) #15, which was also unacceptable to me.  In their minds, they are off the hook.  If I hadn’t asked to be moved, I think they might have done something, since they didn’t really offer any solution.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseswithkids said:

Do you remember what time Traditional Dining was?  Hoping that First Seating Traditional is not 5:00 p.m.

We were on this cruise also.  First seating Traditional Dining was at 5:15pm.  

Also, we had the smoothest seas of any of our 22 Princess cruises!  It was awesome!

• Like 1

I have a combination of refundable and non-refundable credits and I contacted Princess today.   They said that they will use the non-refundable credits first.   You referenced gift cards.   I did not ask about them, so maybe in the case of gift cards, it is different.  Seems strange and not fair to you.

2 hours ago, Dan M. said:

We're on the Regal in a few weeks as well.  What was the entertainment for the cruise you were on?  I doubt if it will change much before we arrive.

Thanks.

dlm

The shows were “Born to Dance” and “Bravo”.  Both excellent.  Around the ship were Ella Ryan, Romantica Strings, Funch and the Steel Drum Player, Trevor (can’t think of his last name).  

1 minute ago, antmaril said:

The shows were “Born to Dance” and “Bravo”.  Both excellent.  Around the ship were Ella Ryan, Romantica Strings, Funch and the Steel Drum Player, Trevor (can’t think of his last name).  

Trevor Cole.  :classic_smile:

I enjoyed Romantica Strings every night in the Wheelhouse.