Questions for those who are San Pedro Savvy

Robkat

We just booked onto the NCL Bliss, on April 21, 2019, departing from San Pedro.  We're flying in one day early for an overnight and then flying back home on the same day of disembarkation.

This a new departure port for us, and we have several questions, so I'm hoping that by asking them all at once, they'll be easy and straight forward to answer from anyone who is familiar with departures from this area.

>Is Super Shuttle the best way to get from LAX to hotels in SP?  (We wouldn't be using Uber or Lyft.)

>How far is it from LAX to SP, and what is the travel time?

>For disembarkation day, we have a noon flight ... if we do express walk off, will that give us ample time (using a shuttle) to get us to the airport in sufficient time?

>This is a bit weird, but for those of you who use Super Shuttle often, if we use them to go from LAX to a SP hotel, and then also book them for pick up, on disembarkation day, at the cruise terminal to return us to LAX, would this be considered a "round-trip"?  Or must the pick-up and drop-off locations be exactly the same?

>For anyone who has stayed at the Best Western Plus on Gaffey Ave, how is it?  It is just for the one night, so we're mostly concerned with it being clean and safe.

Can we walk to the waterfront from there?  Is it pretty safe for walking around during the daytime (we've read that it can be a little dodgy after dark).

>Since  we'd have a free afternoon, it is possible to walk to where the ferry leaves for Catalina Island?  Does the ferry run often?

How long does it take?  Is this a worthwhile trip?

Are there any other fun/interesting things to do in the immediate area?  

Thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.catalinaexpress.com/

The above link will answer all your questions about getting to Catalina from San Pedro.   As you will see they leave in the morning and come back in the evening.   It is around $150.00 for two people.   If you decide to book a trip be sure to make the reservation for Avalon......NOT Two Harbors  

4 hours ago, Robkat said:

Western Plus on Gaffey Ave, how is it?  It is just for the one night, so we're mostly concerned with it being clean and safe.

Can we walk to the waterfront from there?  Is it pretty safe for walking around during the daytime (we've read that it can be a little dodgy after dark).

I have no info on motel itself, but the area it is located is not the greatest. Couple of fast food places within a few blocks, but the area gets questionable at night. Channel is about 1.3 miles away, but there are a couple of issues. Between the motel and the water is the worst area of Pedro; projects, homeless, rehab and halfway houses. Once at the water, not much to do. Battleship Iowa is there as a museum and a maritime museum, no idea of the hours. The "tourist" area known as "Ports O' Call" was demoed and as of yet not rebuilt. 

11 hours ago, Robkat said:

>Is Super Shuttle the best way to get from LAX to hotels in SP?  (We wouldn't be using Uber or Lyft.)

Depends on your definition of "best"...One of the cheapest...but you may waste a lot of time waiting for your ride, then circling the airport to pick up others...Using their car service, Execucar, takes away many of those issues...But, seriously, I prefer Uber...

>How far is it from LAX to SP, and what is the travel time?

20 miles...On a Sunday, figure a half hour to 45 minutes from when you actually leave LAX ...

>For disembarkation day, we have a noon flight ... if we do express walk off, will that give us ample time (using a shuttle) to get us to the airport in sufficient time?

Should be sufficient time, even if you don't wheel your own luggage off...

>This is a bit weird, but for those of you who use Super Shuttle often, if we use them to go from LAX to a SP hotel, and then also book them for pick up, on disembarkation day, at the cruise terminal to return us to LAX, would this be considered a "round-trip"?  Or must the pick-up and drop-off locations be exactly the same.

I don't think it matters...I believe the price is the same...but I would book it as two separate trips...

>For anyone who has stayed at the Best Western Plus on Gaffey Ave, how is it?  It is just for the one night, so we're mostly concerned with it being clean and safe.

Would not be my first choice of hotels...I don't like the location or area...I would take the Crowne Plaza.  Worth the extra money...close to restaurants, close to the pier...nicer hotel...

You might...but it is a rather long and largely unattractive walk...

>Since  we'd have a free afternoon, it is possible to walk to where the ferry leaves for Catalina Island?  Does the ferry run often?

See above...Check the schedule carefully, though,...depending on when your flight arrives, you may not really have the time...

How long does it take?  Is this a worthwhile trip?

Unless you have more time, I would skip it...

Are there any other fun/interesting things to do in the immediate area?  

The Iowa, a maritime museum...Or, you could Uber or taxi over to Long Beach--6-8 miles away and check out the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

Thanks all, and especially Bruin Steve, for the replies.  

I'm getting the very strong vibe (you can't get anything past me! :classic_cool:) that the location of the Best Western Plus we were looking at wouldn't be the nicest and/or safest choice.

If we look at the Crowne Plaza and/or the Doubletree, are there places to eat and walk about in that area?

Does anyone know if  both hotels have complimentary shuttles to the port?

(we'll obviously do our further research, but it would be helpful at this point to get these answers from "those in the know")

Thanks again ... it's great to have answers from all you knowledgeable folks.

17 minutes ago, Robkat said:

If we look at the Crowne Plaza and/or the Doubletree, are there places to eat and walk about in that area?

Does anyone know if  both hotels have complimentary shuttles to the port?

(we'll obviously do our further research, but it would be helpful at this point to get these answers from "those in the know")

Most of the restaurants in San Pedro are within about a 2-3 block radius of the Crowne Plaza.  I am partial to the San Pedro Brewing Co.--love their tri-tip sandwich:

https://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Other nearby choices include the Green Onion:

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/menu.html

Raffaelo:

http://www.raffaelloristorante.com/

J. Trani:

http://www.jtrani.com/?page_id=290

The Whale and Ale:

https://www.whaleandale.com/

Neil's:

http://www.neilspastaseafood.com/

Nico's:

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/

and more...

The Doubletree is a little more remote...On the yacht marina downchannel from the port...The one good restaurant near there is  the 22nd Street Landing:

http://22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

But the Doubletree will shuttle you for free to any of the other restaurants in San Pedro.

Both hotels will shuttle you to the pier (but check the current status with the hotel--I think the CP tried a $5 pp charge for awhile)...But, IMHO, the Crowne Plaza is actually a very walkable distance from the cruise terminal--about three or four blocks...I have walked it myself before...

The Doubletree will definitely shuttle you to the port and to nearby restaurants for free.

Some folks who have a whole day to hang out before the cruise also decide to stay in LA or closer to LA at one of the beach towns like Manhattan Beach. Then they go to the cruise port the next day to get onto the ship.

It really depends on how you wish to spend that extra day.

The Long Beach Aquarium is really excellent and not far from San Pedro.

• Like 1

Thank you all, again, for all this good info.  

After reading through it all, DH and I just didn't have a great feeling, and we've ended up getting a hotel in Long Beach.  Even though we're only going to be there for a free afternoon, we think this'll be s much nicer area and we'll enjoy walking around the waterfront.

We feel good about this move, and the decision was helped along by all your info and opinions!  

Hi Bruin Steve,

Special  thanks to you for all those very informative links for restaurants surrounding the CP.

We booked into the Hyatt Regency LB, via Priceline, at a rate less expensive than what BWP was asking.   

I was more concerned about having  included breakfast and comp Shuttle to SP pier (which is why we were originally looking at the Best Western Plus in SP), but after reading all the comments, DH was waaaay more interested in having a nice area where we could take a nice long walk and have lots of choices for eateries, etc.  

We also like to find a grocery store to get some snacks and wine, and it seems like that will be easier and moreover pleasant in the LB area.

while SP definitely seems more convenient for our cruise departure, LB seems way more pleasant.

thanks again.

4 hours ago, Robkat said:

We booked into the Hyatt Regency LB, via Priceline, at a rate less expensive than what BWP was asking.   

I was more concerned about having  included breakfast and comp Shuttle to SP pier (which is why we were originally looking at the Best Western Plus in SP), but after reading all the comments, DH was waaaay more interested in having a nice area where we could take a nice long walk and have lots of choices for eateries, etc.  

We also like to find a grocery store to get some snacks and wine, and it seems like that will be easier and moreover pleasant in the LB area.

while SP definitely seems more convenient for our cruise departure, LB seems way more pleasant.

Great choice of hotel...one of the best (and best location) in Long Beach.  For that grocery store, you'll have to walk a few blocks to Atlantic and Broadway to the Vons Supermarket.  Lots of restaurant choices within a very short distance of your hotel.  And, of course, you'll have about a 6-7 mile Uber or taxi ride to the pier in the morning (not bad)...

• 1 month later...

The Best Western was completely safe. The morning before of departure the breakfast room is full of cruisers if not all cruisers.

we walked down to the save rite ? In the morning, felt completely safe.

We had plenty of time the evening before our cruise, so we took Super Shuttle to the Doubletree in SP.  We did not have reservations for SS, but just walked up to the kiosk outside of baggage claim and they took our name and said it would be about 20 minutes.  After about that time we boarded the shuttle and exited the airport directly with two other couples.  The driver was very friendly and the ride was comfortable. I think the cost was about $18 pp.

First stop was Best Western in SP.  It was dark out and the area seemed a bit run down, but I really do not know how good or bad it is.  Next stop was us at the Doubletree - much nicer area in a marina. 

The Doubletree is off by itself, so nothing nearby that I could see, so we ate there,  Good meal and reasonable prices I thought.  The checkin was quick and easy PLUS we got upgraded to a nice suite!  Way more room then we needed however.  OH - do not forget to get the free warm chocolate chip cookies at checkin - they were GREAT!  Signed up for the 10 am shuttle and the next day us and one other couple took a five minute ride to the pier (no charge).  Passed the Battleship Iowa adjacent to our pier.  As you can tell, I highly recommend the Doubletree in SP for a pre-cruise night.

With coupon SS was $18 to SP, but we circled the airport for almost an hour and had to drop a lot of people off. In two weeks we are taking uber for sbout the same price. We stayed at the Best West plus when the Crowne was full. We really liked it. We had airplane problems and got there six hours late, so the couple places to eat were closed. The gal behind the desk rounded us up some food. 

The breakfast was very good and loaded with cruisers. 

CVS was a short walk to get some supplies. During the day we thought it as safe as the Crowne, which also had some dodgy people once the sun went down,

that said we also loved staying at LB with the free trolley. Uber to SP from LB (Queen Mary) was $15.. cab was $30. 

We are driving in from northern california the day of the cruise (April 14). Is there plenty of parking at the port itself? Don't want to get there and have no place to park. I read that it's $18/day.

27 minutes ago, ninan said:

We are driving in from northern california the day of the cruise (April 14). Is there plenty of parking at the port itself? Don't want to get there and have no place to park. I read that it's $18/day.

First realize that there is zero free street parking.  In Los Angeles, virtually all street parking is restricted...and it is a local joke:  Most streets have signage like this:

image.thumb.png.18cc5f31c695462a02be306369449206.png

There's no way to park anywhere and feel safe for an hour, let alone the length of a cruise...

Also, there is no real long term private lot anywhere in the area that will rent you a space for the length of a cruise.

So, your choices are either the World Cruise Center lot or a "Stay and Cruise" deal from one of the hotels...

So, if you're not staying at least a night pre-cruise, just bite the bullet and pay the freight...it's at least very convenient...

As to the amount of parking?  No problem...it's a very big lot...

Edited by Bruin Steve

On 3/13/2019 at 2:59 PM, ninan said:

I don't mind paying to park at the cruise terminal. I just want to make sure we don't show up and find it full.

There are two lots, directly in front of the cruise center and another to the North of berth 93. Never heard of anyone not finding a spot.