Credid card debited after cruise

teigenes

I hear what you are saying but not required under my credit card user agreements. It is not a dispute it is a unauthorized charge  and allowed.  I have a personal representative with the card provider that handles the paperwork and they do not have a problem with it. If others want to waste time dealing with the line they can. As for adding costs for the charge back again I'm OK with that, if the cruise line does care about my account why should I care about them?  And the credit card provider is paid to work for me as a customer. The statement " you do not have much to gain by running to your credit card provider" is not true I gain time and do not need to deal with a issue that never should have happen in the first place.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

I hear what you are saying but not required under my credit card user agreements. It is not a dispute it is a unauthorized charge  and allowed.  I have a personal representative with the card provider that handles the paperwork and they do not have a problem with it. If others want to waste time dealing with the line they can. As for adding costs for the charge back again I'm OK with that, if the cruise line does care about my account why should I care about them?  And the credit card provider is paid to work for me as a customer. The statement " you do not have much to gain by running to your credit card provider" is not true I gain time and do not need to deal with a issue that never should have happen in the first place.

I'm curious as to what credit card you have, as any that have the Mastercard or Visa logo are bound by the same overarching card rules. As others have said - a quick call to Celebrity is all it has taken. I cannot see how calling someone else is any quicker in this regard. And as I said, even if your credit card provider is okay with it, the merchant you dispute against may not be and that's the risk you take. As a business owner myself, I cannot stand customers who take a dispute to their credit card company rather than just raising the issue directly. For example, we have had customers who do this when they order a product which is delivered electronically - and for whatever reason, it has been filtered to their spam folder, so they believe we didn't send it. Rather than contact us, they file a credit card dispute. We then spend days faxing over logs, screenshots, correspondence, etc.

Typically, we (like most) have a policy simply to refund the customer if its below a certain amount. If a customer contacts us, they would receive an immediate refund. However, if we receive a dispute via credit card company, we need to provide certain documentation back to the credit card company and the acquirer before we can do anything. And I can guarantee you we will not be going above and beyond for a customer who chooses to deal with an issue that way.

It is fairly reckless to advise people to go straight to their credit card company when you have little understanding what this can do to a business and the enormous amount of extra work it creates. Mistakes, as unfortunate as they are, will occasionally happen - erroneous minibar charges, or whatever they may be. You should at least give the business a chance to correct it first before you go and make their life difficult. I completely understand it if the business isn't being unhelpful in this regard, but it shouldn't be your first port of call. And your credit card doesn't do this for you for "free". They need to employ someone to handle the disputes you and other customers raise. Who do you think pays for that? You do. The fees of processing credit cards go up to cover these costs and therefore the cost of products go up for everyone to counter the fees. I'm quite shocked at your flippant attitude towards this - and I can only hope its because you did not realise the unnecessary workload it causes for others.

Edited by Ross K
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

He went down to the iPad stations where the “front desk” people hang out (no traditional front desk on Edge) and they merged the two accounts.

Are you saying there is no guest relations desk on Edge?:classic_ninja:

I'm not taking any risk by disputing a charge. I know the rules very well as a customer and as a merchant. You really seem to be missing the point anytime I can cost the cruise line money within the rules I will that is my choices others can handle the way they want.  You should review the rules again within the merchant agreement and talk to counsel about what they really mean......I know I have done so. My primary card is a limited by invitation only card, no one can apply for it you need to be invited to the program.  

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Are you saying there is no guest relations desk on Edge?:classic_ninja:

Correct. There is a large guest relations space on Deck 3 where several people holding iPads work at small desks/tables spaced around the room, but not a traditional hotel-style front desk with a rope & stanchion line as most ships have. 

Guests walk up to whichever staffer seems available for assistance. I don’t know what happens if there’s a crush of people looking for help, but assume that several lines form.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 1/16/2019 at 4:42 AM, Danwes said:

We asked our room attendant to do this on our last cruise and were told that they don't do that any more. Should we just press the issue and they will do it?

I once had a mini bar charge and had it removed. Now I tell my cabin attendant on the last night that I did not use the mini bar and pay my bill in cash immediately after dinner. Have not had any issues since then. I did notice on my last cruise that the mini bar list in my stateroom did not match what was inside the fridge. 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, Expat Cruise said:

I'm not taking any risk by disputing a charge. I know the rules very well as a customer and as a merchant. You really seem to be missing the point anytime I can cost the cruise line money within the rules I will that is my choices others can handle the way they want.  You should review the rules again within the merchant agreement and talk to counsel about what they really mean......I know I have done so. My primary card is a limited by invitation only card, no one can apply for it you need to be invited to the program.  

Well, clearly you don't care about your actions. I guess that's your prerogative. I'm not sure why I would need to engage counsel; it is basic common sense. But then, you do seem to have a habit in calling on unnecessary assistance. As you even say, you cost the cruise line money in handling it this way - and ultimately the cruise line isn't a charity, so guess what, the rest of us pay for it through higher fares to compensate for passengers who think calling the cruise line directly is too below them. Well done. Your whole line about your credit card "no one can apply for it you need to be invited to the program" doesn't mean anything in this context of this discussion - its still, fundamentally, either a Visa or a Mastercard (or Amex). Nice attempt to brag though - you seem very status orientated which likewise explains your attitude.

Clearly you're not going to change your view, but fortunately, it would seem the vast majority of people are more sensible in this regard!

• Like 1

Totally agree with Ross K we arent talking a huge issue here. Our extra charge after leaving the ship was under $50. One phone call to Captains Club and its handled and on to the rest of my day.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill. No need to get your credit card involved unless cruise line isnt taking care of it.

If they handle it move on..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Totally agree with Ross K we arent talking a huge issue here. Our extra charge after leaving the ship was under $50. One phone call to Captains Club and its handled and on to the rest of my day.

Why make a mountain out of a molehill. No need to get your credit card involved unless cruise line isnt taking care of it.

If they handle it move on..

You are free to handle your way as I'm free to handle my way.

Delighted to report that  Celebrity have replied and they will credit the unspent OBC to our credit card account. 

I decided it was unwise to give them the credit card number in an email so called the phone number for the Australian office that was at the end of the email.  I was able to speak to the woman who I had been dealing with by email. I commented to her about the hot weather both countries are experiencing and was somewhat surprised that in fact she was talking to me from Central America,!(Guatamala) 

So I can say I am happy with the result,  I stayed calm, was polite , didn't need to involve the credit card company and in the end it was a positive outcome.

Thank you everyone for your support, suggestions and goodwill.

Yvonne

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, teigenes said:

So I can say I am happy with the result,  I stayed calm, was polite , didn't need to involve the credit card company and in the end it was a positive outcome.

Great result and glad you tried that route first!