Missed Ports

ksuds

I just arrived back from a short cruise on the Soverein of the Seas. We were supposed to go to Nassau and Cocoa Cay. Due to high winds we were unable to go to either. So they just parked us off the coast until our cruise ended.

I have heard in the past that you get reimbursed for each port missed. However, we were credited 17.00 and change. Has anyone had any experience with this? 17.00 for not going anywhere doesn't seem so great.

Thanks for your input

Karen

ksuds

Sounds like you were only refunded the port fees, which is really all you're entitled to. You did eat on the ship, they did wash your towels and linens etc, you did make them use their waste treatment facility. So they still incurred expenses to float you off shore. Granted it was a big disappointment, I'm going to book a B2B the end of April on Sovereign, but I guess as long as I wasn't cooking and cleaning, it'd still be a vacation for me.

They never promise any port. They don't have to give you anything. You should never count on any port. I'd be disappointed too, but, still happy to be on a cruise and away from work and snow/cold. Just enjoy the ride, the ship is a destination!

Uh Oh, I could be lugging snorkle equipment half way across the country next week to the Sovereign for nothing? I'm already pushing my 50# per bag airline limit!

So sorry you missed both ports Karen, I'm really looking forward to our beach day and Nassau shopping. Is there a way to find out if high winds are expected next week too?

I will be disappointed, like you were, if that happens to us too, but I won't let it ruin the trip, so much to do onboard too. Did they plan extra, fun events to fill the time?

Kaye.

Really sorry you missed CocoCay. Not trying to stir anything up but what about the whole foreign port rule? I thought the ship had to make a foreign port (I'm probrably be wrong here) before returning to the US.

Yes, this is the second time I have cruise on Sovereign of the Sea and both time did not make it to Coco Cay. I did have a good time with a group of 24. Boy, it was scary when the ship tilted. I was in the Windjammer. I am still feeling the ship rock now.

Sounds like you were only refunded the port fees, which is really all you're entitled to. You did eat on the ship, they did wash your towels and linens etc, you did make them use their waste treatment facility. So they still incurred expenses to float you off shore. Granted it was a big disappointment, I'm going to book a B2B the end of April on Sovereign, but I guess as long as I wasn't cooking and cleaning, it'd still be a vacation for me.

Your correct. All the legel stuff is in your documents.

Does any cruise line do anything for missed port calls?

A lot of folks cruise for the port calls and not just the cruising experince. I would think it would be good PR for the cruise line to do something extra when this sort of thing happens.

But again the cruise line is quite correct in doing nothing about a missed port call.

Really sorry you missed CocoCay. Not trying to stir anything up but what about the whole foreign port rule? I thought the ship had to make a foreign port (I'm probrably be wrong here) before returning to the US.

They only have to stop in a foreign port if they stop in another US port. Since this cruise, unfortunately, became a "cruise to nowhere" they didn't violate the Jones Act.

To the OP, they didn't have to refund your port fees back to you per the contract.

• 2 weeks later...
That really IS a shame. We just cruised on Sovereign back-to-back and went to Nassau twice and CoCoCay twice. Perfect weather, seas like glass.

Just the luck of the draw.

Carol, we booked Sovereign B2B in October. How did the disembarkment/re-embarkment go? How long did you have to leave the ship? We love SOS and have been on her 3 times. (Coco Cay all 3 times also) We've also been on Mariner and Radiance but miss SOS and are anxious to see her after the renovation.

Thanks!

Julie

Fury1995,

To answer your question. All the ship has to do is enter the waters of that port or country, drop anchor and they are in compliance with the Jones Act. They don't have to let any one off the ship. What is considered dropping anchor I don't know.

Another ?...Are excursion cost refunded, should the Port be missed?

They should be both from excursions booked with the cruiseline and with locals if that is how you plan on touring. It's important if booking on your own to make sure you do not have to pay IF the ship doesn't dock. We have done quite a few excursions on our own and never had a problem.

Knock on wood, we have only missed one port in many cruises. It's always a disappointment IMO but I think it's important when booking a cruise to realize you could possibly go to every port listed, NONE of the ports listed, or SOME of the ports listed. If you are prepared mentally, you will have a great time no matter. IF ONE particular port is majorly important to you and the only reason for booking, you might be better to visit on a land based trip.

Another ?...Are excursion cost refunded, should the Port be missed?

It should be required that everyone booking a cruise should read the RCCL website. Yes, I have missed many of them too. Was I happy? NO!, not always. But, it is in black and white, on their site. :eek: Not a thing can be done about it. :(

What happens if my itinerary is changed?

In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties, or for any other reason, we have the right to cancel, advance, postpone, or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call without prior notice. In this situation we may substitute another ship or port of call. However we are not legally liable for any loss to guests by reason of the cancellation, advancement, postponement, deviation, or substitution. In addition, while we attempt to follow our published schedules as closely as possible, we are not responsible if we cannot adhere exactly to the published times at any of our ports of call. However, we will attempt to keep our passengers informed of any changes.

You live and learn. This is the hazzard of cruise travel. Being dependant on ocean and weather conditions can change a cruise dramatically. Mechanical failure or accidents can change a cruise dramatically. If you read your contract carefully, they only really promise you a ride on the ship and include food and entertainment.

We have, fortunately, never missed a port yet. But, I once pulled a muscle in my upper leg from getting off a tender back onto a ship in rough water. It took months before it felt normal again, it wasn't any fault of the ship, it was all the oceans fault, the crew held onto me very tightly throughout the whole time. Believe me, if the captain considers the conditions to be unsafe, you are much better off not trying to tender. I don't know a whole lot about winds, but I'll bet it can wreak havoc on docking a ship, or getting safely in or out of the harbor.

You're much better off being safe on the ship than having a beach day or a snorkle trip.

Be thankful you were reimbursed something. We didn't stop in Grand Cayman because of the damage from Ivan and were given the BIG GOOSE EGG for the missed port. I would have been happy with the port charges being reimbursement or a few hours worth of an open bar. Oh well...even with the missed port, we still had a blast. Hope to catch Grand Cayman another trip.

Unfortunately, that is one of the pitfalls with cruising - missed ports. Missed Jamaica once due to weather. Missed two of the four days on Bermuda trip because of 9/11 - had to leave from a different port than originally scheduled (NYC) and the boat had some problems (would be ungrateful to complain about that though, since 9/11 was far more tragic than my vacation!) Have never been offered any compensation for missed ports other than free drinks. Sorry you didn't get to visit the ports though, very disappointing I'm sure since you didn't get to go to at least one stop.

You live and learn. This is the hazzard of cruise travel. Being dependant on ocean and weather conditions can change a cruise dramatically. Mechanical failure or accidents can change a cruise dramatically. If you read your contract carefully, they only really promise you a ride on the ship and include food and entertainment.

We have, fortunately, never missed a port yet. But, I once pulled a muscle in my upper leg from getting off a tender back onto a ship in rough water. It took months before it felt normal again, it wasn't any fault of the ship, it was all the oceans fault, the crew held onto me very tightly throughout the whole time. Believe me, if the captain considers the conditions to be unsafe, you are much better off not trying to tender. I don't know a whole lot about winds, but I'll bet it can wreak havoc on docking a ship, or getting safely in or out of the harbor.

You're much better off being safe on the ship than having a beach day or a snorkle trip.

You are so right about tendering. We had gotten on a tender to go into Grand Cayman. We got just a short distance form the ship and the wind and seas picked up so much that we could not dock or get back to the ship. We were stuck on the tender for over an hour, bobbing up and down. To make it worse, we had the fumes of the engine in our faces for that time too. We were finally able to get close enough to the ship to get off the tender.

I got so sea sick, or fumes sick, that I missed the whole rest of the day and evening.

I’m so sorry you missed BOTH ports. I would be disappointed. We’ve missed one port on at least half of our cruises. Generally we are not offered anything by the cruise line. However, on our recent cruise on the Legend (January 06), the Captain offered a bridge tour as “apology” for missing Costa Maya. The tour was very interesting.

Marci

I’m so sorry you missed BOTH ports. I would be disappointed. We’ve missed one port on at least half of our cruises. Generally we are not offered anything by the cruise line. However, on our recent cruise on the Legend (January 06), the Captain offered a bridge tour as “apology” for missing Costa Maya. The tour was very interesting.

Marci

We have missed ports on our trips also and it is disappointing but understandable. THey did have an open bar at the pool last time but unless you were there you would miss it. I didn't hear any announcements only knew because I overheard someone talking about it in the ladies room.

Carol, we booked Sovereign B2B in October. How did the disembarkment/re-embarkment go? How long did you have to leave the ship? We love SOS and have been on her 3 times. (Coco Cay all 3 times also) We've also been on Mariner and Radiance but miss SOS and are anxious to see her after the renovation.

Thanks!

Julie

Easier than falling off a log. You meet at the Purser's Desk at 9:30 A.M., and generally the entire thing takes about ten minutes, INCLUDING walking off and on the ship again. You can get off and play around in Port Canaveral if you want to. It's a lot of fun, though, to go back to the big, empty ship, and enjoy the solitude and EMPTINESS. And of course, the NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NAH of it all. :D

Archived