Can You Rent Formal Wear on the Ship?

MariahQ

We'll be taking a 15-day Mediterranean cruise on MSC Sinfonia from January 26th to February 8th as part of a four-month around-the-world trip. We've taken short cruises in China, Egypt, etc., as part of a tour, but never done a straight up cruise cruise. My question is this. With airlines limiting baggage weights so severely, and with our needing so many different types of clothes for such a long time, we hate to pack tuxedos and gowns for just four formal nights. Do the cruise ships rent formal wear for those formal nights? It sure would be nice to save the luggage space and weight by not having to pack such specialized clothing. Anyone know?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I would suggest posting this question on the MSC board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

Most cruise lines rent formal wear for their guests.  Most cruse lines today also don't enforce formal dress rules anymore either - they are just suggestions.  But as mentioned, the MSC board would be the place to go for these answers.

Another suggestion would be to use the ship's laundry service on board to launder your clothes as needed to reduce the amount of clothes you will need for that length of a cruise and total trip, and maybe pack for 7 or 8 nights.  BTW, the airlines don't limit the weight or number of suitcase, but charge a fee for overweight pieces and total number checked in.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The era of requiring multiple suitcases to cruise is rapidly (thankfully) fading. For most lines the tired tradition of formal night is now a "suggestion" not a mandatory requirement.  You are unlikely to be turned away for not wearing a jacket.   On my last two cruises on Princess I didn't even bother to bring a sports jacket.  A collared shirt and casual trousers were fine even on "formal" night.  I doubt MSC is any different. 

check prices tho ... IME renting a tux from Cunard for 1 week exceeded the cost of purchase!

don't recall ever seeing woman's wear for rent altho there on-line options not specific for cruising (you still need to carry)  dd rents gowns routinely

I've rented from the cruise line several times. They usually have a place on their Web Site where you can send them your sizing information. And more often than not, he tux is waiting for me in the room. Different Cruise lines may have different policies and procedures. But my experience has always been good.

Burt

Hey neighbor.  I've rented tuxes for cruises on Princess and Celebrity.  As others have suggested, you might get a more accurate response on the MSC board.  

My wife has never investigated renting formal clothes for herself.  I am thinking that is less likely, but I wish you luck there.

Have a great cruise.