Live on Voyager; First timer on Regent!

Tarwood3

7 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

I believe there were 2 or 3 Karaoke nights on our 10 day voyage.  We dont do or like Karaoke, but some friends we made on board are fanatics, so they told us all about it and they said there was a big turnout for every one.  

On a cruise a few years ago I got up and did "Just A Gigolo", the David Lee Roth version, and for the rest of the cruise people called me "Just a Gigolo Bill" or just "Gigolo".  I don't know whether I was any good or just loud, but I sure had fun with it and it was a great conversation starter.  I'm all for karaoke at night...      🎼🎵🎶🎵    🎤:classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

On a cruise a few years ago I got up and did "Just A Gigolo", the David Lee Roth version, and for the rest of the cruise people called me "Just a Gigolo Bill" or just "Gigolo".  I don't know whether I was any good or just loud, but I sure had fun with it and it was a great conversation starter.  I'm all for karaoke at night...      🎼🎵🎶🎵    🎤:classic_laugh:

If we were on a ship with you, we would definitely go to hear you sing.  Otherwise, my sensitive ears and musical background cannot take loud, often off-key singing.  It is like fingernails on a chalkboard.   Glad that some other passengers enjoy it.  I suppose that it is like the Country Fair - we laugh and think that it's great and others avoid it due to loud music and silly games.  To each his/her own.

This discussion brings back a nice memory, Jeannie and I had our one and only karaoke experience on a Regent cruise about 10 years ago.  We were sitting in the Voyager lounge chatting with 2 nice young ladies when karaoke started.  Somehow, they coaxed us into the floor to join them in singing "Sweet Caroline".   Happily, we did not drive everyone out of the lounge, in fact people were joining in.  

Bob

23 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Yep, there’s always at least one karaoke night...if there’s not, I really ruined someone’s singing performance...   :classic_cool:

I love singing but I won't hold it against you LOL if Voyager does not offer it. Seabourn never offered karaoke and I was disappointed but nevertheless it certainly didn't stop me from enjoying the music from the "Piano Bar." The entertainment was pretty good from the Disco area and the Sky Bar.

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I just can't imagine the people who sail with Regent (mostly of my generation or older...which means pre-Baby Boomer) doing karaoke!  But if it is offered presumably some do.  I would likely cause the ship to sink!!

I guess I would have to say "different strokes for different folks." I like all kinds of entertainment i.e. having the opportunity to belt out a few songs, singing along with a band if having the opportunity; however just sitting back and listening is certainly good enough for me. I think singing can be for everyone and it is fun. If you feel you can sing then go for it. No one should put you down for trying....LOL. I sing the songs that my vocals can take in other words I don't take on songs that I can't handle. I will enjoy what the ship has to offer. I like most people love to cruise and enjoy what it has to offer. Just bring it on!

14 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

I believe there were 2 or 3 Karaoke nights on our 10 day voyage.  We dont do or like Karaoke, but some friends we made on board are fanatics, so they told us all about it and they said there was a big turnout for every one.  

Thank you for sharing. I like singing but wouldn't claim I am a fanatic. I just like having fun and enjoy to spread some cheer around to other fellow members.😊

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, Travelcat2 said:

...my sensitive ears and musical background cannot take loud, often off-key singing.  It is like fingernails on a chalkboard.   

Jackie:

You should feel so very lucky that I decided not to sing in front of you during the transatlantic cruise on the Explorer. I am tone deaf, have no max volume, and can scare a herd of buffaloes with my singing. I sometimes get paid not to sing during karaoke. The government has even offered me money to sing to the prisoners in Guantanamo to get them to confess.  I once offered to sing Nessun Dorma to Pam for our anniversary and she swore that if I did it would be our last one. 

Z and TB

33 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Jackie:

You should feel so very lucky that I decided not to sing in front of you during the transatlantic cruise on the Explorer. I am tone deaf, have no max volume, and can scare a herd of buffaloes with my singing. I sometimes get paid not to sing during karaoke. The government has even offered me money to sing to the prisoners in Guantanamo to get them to confess.  I once offered to sing Nessun Dorma to Pam for our anniversary and she swore that if I did it would be our last one. 

Z and TB

Thank you for a good laugh.  I needed it on this sightly snowy afternoon (only 2 inches but we are not used to snow).    If we cruise together again, perhaps we could both sing ...... that would clear the room:classic_tongue:

On 2/3/2019 at 11:25 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Jackie:

Z and TB

Zqueeze - IF there were a contest I could certainly beat you for non-tonal singing!!  I was even asked by the nuns at my school in Africa to please refrain from singing hymns during services.  When you think about it - amazing really!!

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Zqueeze - IF there were a contest I could certainly beat you for non-tonal singing!!  I was even asked by the nuns at my school in Africa to please refrain from singing hymns during services.  When you think about it - amazing really!!

I am laughing so hard that I have no words!:classic_biggrin:  

Gary,

Thanks for your interesting review.  I couldn't agree more about the lack of storage in the Veranda Suite on the Voyager, what you may not know is that prior to the last drydock, there was, in fact, drawers in the room, which were removed and replaced with the "very useful" glass cabinets. A work of genius 😣.

I don't know whether you plan on cruising with Regent again, if you do, you might want to give the Explorer (or upcoming Splendor) a try.  The comparable Veranda Suite has cavernous storage space, and is gorgeously appointed, as is the rest of the ship.

Bob

• Like 1

Question for you boblerm- have you stayed in the Veranda suites on Explorer? If so how do you compare the size to the Voyager? We were very comfortable in our veranda suite on Voyager (810), but many posters seem to feel the same category on Explorer is not big enough.

Just looking for more opinions?

54 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

Question for you boblerm- have you stayed in the Veranda suites on Explorer? If so how do you compare the size to the Voyager? We were very comfortable in our veranda suite on Voyager (810), but many posters seem to feel the same category on Explorer is not big enough.

Just looking for more opinions?

vegasdriven, the square footage of the Veranda suite of the Explorer is actually a bit larger than that of the Voyager, but is laid out differently. I think that the reason that some may feel like it has a smaller "feel" to it is that the corridor between the living area and the closet /bathroom is very narrow, one way traffic only. 

20180311_145740-2016x1134.thumb.jpg.bf32e4c0d45ac1c9c436928e1b9e5cec.jpg

The other negative in regard to the one on Explorer is that the veranda window is divided for some reason, not quite as nice a view when in the room. 

20180311_145701-2016x1116.thumb.jpg.d31c0e15a6563e47ad1d81bf90cdf0c4.jpg

In every other respect, it is a superb room, IMO beautifully decorated, fabulous bathroom, and as mentioned, plenty of storage. 

boblerm, thank you, though I believe those are pics of a Superior suite, not a deluxe verandah. We were in a category G, so I was looking for opinions of the corresponding category on Explorer.

Yes, everyone says those F suites are great, but being as we pay in Can $, it makes the cost about 30% more, so I wonder if we might be ok in the lower cost suite. We were lucky to receive a promotion for Can at par for our recent first cruise, but we can't count on that happening again.

Debra

Just now, vegasdriven said:

boblerm, thank you, though I believe those are pics of a Superior suite, not a deluxe verandah. We were in a category G, so I was looking for opinions of the corresponding category on Explorer.

Yes, everyone says those F suites are great, but being as we pay in Can $, it makes the cost about 30% more, so I wonder if we might be ok in the lower cost suite. We were lucky to receive a promotion for Can at par for our recent first cruise, but we can't count on that happening again.

Debra

Debra, I would love to tell you that the category "E" suites are nice.  Unfortunately, I cannot.  They are small with a teeny tiny bathroom.  We were on the christening cruise of Explorer and toured every suite category (including the amazing Regent suite).  Category "G" on Explorer (and likely on Splendor) are dramatically smaller than the same category on other Regent ships.  

However, as long as you know that the suite is not what you had on your last cruise and are okay with it, I would go for it.  Explorer is dramatically different and better than other Regent ships (IMHO).  

13 minutes ago, vegasdriven said:

Jackie, I think my main concern would be the small bathroom vanity, and having no vanity in the room. However, we managed on our 2 Windsurf cruises, which were even smaller at 187 sq ft, and 2 portholes😃

Not sure if you looked at the layout of the "G" suites vs. the Superior suites.  This link will hopefully take you to the "G1" category layout.  You can see the difference if you go to the Superior suite layout.  The superior suite has tons of room in the beautiful bathroom while the "G" suites have tiny bathrooms.  

Since you have done 2 Windsurf cruises with a small suite, this may be okay for you.  As you know, the service, food, etc. are wonderful on Regent ships - whichever suite you select.  Let us know what you decide.

Jackie

11 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

I believe those are pics of a Superior suite, not a deluxe verandah.

My apologies, you are quite correct.  My confusion is that I was comparing category F suites on Explorer and Voyager, not realizing that the terminology is different on the 2 ships.  I have not stayed in a category G on Explorer, so I can't say anything about the experience.  But I would like to point out that in terms of size, these suites are comparable to deluxe veranda suites on the Mariner, which I have stayed in, and found it to be quite comfortable.  Looking at the virtual tour, (of the G suites on Explorer), I don't think I would hesitate to book this suite, especially  if that was the only way I would be getting myself on this magnificent ship.

Debra - although I haven't stayed in a Cat G (I'll call them by their category so as to avoid naming confusion) on Explorer, we booked my mother and her husband in one and although they didn't complain (since we were paying, I assume) I felt that the suite was a bit too small for anything over a week, and even that would be a stretch for me.  

I'm not sure what the pricing difference works out to, but I know it wasn't 30% to move from a G2 to an F2 the last time we looked.  I think on the 10-night Mediterranean itinerary we booked with mom, it worked out to a bump of $300/pp to move from G1 to F2, or like $500/pp from G2 to F2.  After comparing the cabins back-to-back, we kind of kicked ourselves for not booking them at least an F2.  There really is that much of a difference.

Just to compare, a 12-night Med cruise on Explorer shows the following prices on the US website:  

$12,399

$12,199

$11,799

$11,599

For us, we just budget for an F2 or above on Explorer and F or above on Navigator (avoiding windows) when we choose a cruise.  Especially if you're looking at a less port-intensive cruise where you'll probably spend more time in your cabin, the larger cabin is well worth the extra few hundred in our opinion.

Better late than never ........ here is the link that I failed to insert into my last post:  https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/suites. If you haven't looked already, check out the G1 vs F1 suites.  Look at the "layout" rather than the photos.  The bathroom size alone is quite dramatic.  In terms of the suite, it is not too bad but the bathroom is really tiny.  Bill has first hand knowledge of the difference between the two suites.  Agree with boblerm - if that is the only way that you can book this magnificent ship, go for it!

I could have sworn that I included by review that was just recently published on cruise critic about this cruise  for which I started this thread.  But I dont see it anywhere? Could it have gotten deleted?? 

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=befae1caf60c6348194b4072351f858d011f60651406f6403aaa4c6b0f1785797f42d5246841f818e18e4b0e6f7cbda81e979c92d5bf4838114bbb225e5b9ed0

Boblerm , yes, we will sail Regent again but it will definitely be on Explorer or Splendour for sure! Just like on Silversea, we prefer the new Muse over the older ships....

BTW...I just love the folks on the Regent forum....not toxic like some threads.  I appreciate folks who are 100% loyal to a cruiseline and their defense of it, it’s great. I have always said, its not what you say but how you say it...   and the Regent folks have always been great,  I have never felt attacked for my opinion.  Thanks folks!

34 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

I could have sworn that I included by review that was just recently published on cruise critic about this cruise  for which I started this thread.  But I dont see it anywhere? Could it have gotten deleted?? 

http://click.email.cruisecritic.com/?qs=befae1caf60c6348194b4072351f858d011f60651406f6403aaa4c6b0f1785797f42d5246841f818e18e4b0e6f7cbda81e979c92d5bf4838114bbb225e5b9ed0

Boblerm , yes, we will sail Regent again but it will definitely be on Explorer or Splendour for sure! Just like on Silversea, we prefer the new Muse over the older ships....

BTW...I just love the folks on the Regent forum....not toxic like some threads.  I appreciate folks who are 100% loyal to a cruiseline and their defense of it, it’s great. I have always said, its not what you say but how you say it...   and the Regent folks have always been great,  I have never felt attacked for my opinion.  Thanks folks!

Glad to hear that you will sail on Regent again.  The Explorer is an amazing ship and I have no doubt that Splendor will as well.

Your perspective on the Regent forum is interesting as some people feel that this forum is contentious.  IMO, it we are just a group of people with strong opinions.  I am very loyal to Regent but have tried one other luxury line and will try another later this year -- just so that I understand statements from posters that prefer other cruise lines.  As much as I defend Regent, I have no problem taking them to task when I feel they deserve it.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Glad to hear that you will sail on Regent again.  The Explorer is an amazing ship and I have no doubt that Splendor will as well.

Your perspective on the Regent forum is interesting as some people feel that this forum is contentious.  IMO, it we are just a group of people with strong opinions.  I am very loyal to Regent but have tried one other luxury line and will try another later this year -- just so that I understand statements from posters that prefer other cruise lines.  As much as I defend Regent, I have no problem taking them to task when I feel they deserve it.

I have never experienced any contentiousness but I’m not on every thread...so perhaps it happens.  I dont mind if folks disagree with one another , as long as no one is disrespecting others...