X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

Bimmer09

We made a brief 30 minute stop to admire the Moorish architecture at Valle Palace 

33249739208_db157dee5a_b.jpg

it sits across from another hotel-the Jagua. Not Moorish.

33249742068_64a7be98f3_b.jpg

40160218993_f9a86eb290_b.jpg

47125052241_ec0c74150a_b.jpg

we are thinking of doing our ceiling like this

46211126465_f959be3c1a_b.jpg

dining room

46401531504_e40d031f5c_b.jpg

Carol and Diana

47125059931_363b7a5da9_b.jpg

46211147315_291ee059e6_b.jpg

46211149545_88081efb87_b.jpg

We have seen a lot of beautiful buildings since we landed in Cuba. Someone interested in architecture with graceful lines would enjoy a visit to the island. You can visit them without being in a long line peering over the heads of those infront of you.  Go sooner than later.

Norris

• Like 3

Not a classic car. A Mochbuy. I would love to not have one of these in my garage.

47125076131_d175e9cda1_b.jpg

a cool Benny More billboard- "Cienfuegos, the city I love the most" from one of his songs

40160242623_72cc260772_b.jpg

Eddie stopped the car so I could cross the boulevard to take a picture

we are closing in on the Journey

32183073907_21fff51cb5_b.jpg

we seldom buy souvenirs, no matter how pretty and evocative they are. We are at a point in our lives where we eschew clutter. Fridge magnets are an exception. I'll show you those when this is in winding-down mode. There are souvenir stands after you enter the dock area. The drummer laying face down has enjoyed many a mojito.

32183078357_668913b17e_b.jpg

We have said farewell and thank you to our guides from Fertours. Our 5 hour tour cost 150 CUC and we added a 20% tip which they were delighted with.

49567312_10218310105052499_1090396156690694144_n.jpg.ddd649573d8b8ba26989d968baf67125.jpg

Now we were in back to the ship mode

not this ship

33249783808_3184f14bfd_b.jpg

this one

47072859482_2aeacc2e96_b.jpg

47072860822_56d1944e45_b.jpg

33249790668_dc3dbf34f8_b.jpg

"Welcome back Mr Norris", said the female Philippino security officer. " Honey, I'm home" said I and bounded into an elevator, destination deck 9

46401561334_a19e58a4f9_b.jpg

Norris

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, QueenP said:

It really is a beautiful place! Astounding architecture, and it looks like a laid back  tropical vibe without hordes of tourists. Really enjoying the photos and commentary thank you Norris.

You are most welcome.

Norris

34 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

We made a brief 30 minute stop to admire the Moorish architecture at Valle Palace 

Your photos are stunning!  What a beautiful building; I just had to know more. In case anyone else is interested in a little information on the building a quick search led me to this website: http://www.cienfuegoscity.org/cienfuegos-city-arch-valle-palace.htm

• Like 1

The Azamara Journey does not show her age. I am an admirer of the interior designs particularly. I sailed on her Princess sister the Ocean Princess (now Oceania Sirena) in 2014 (Venice to Rome) and the 1999 Renaissance signing was still showing on the interiors. 

When you read  the name "The Living Room" as an entertainment venue in The Insider this is what it refers to...

Deck 10 forward

32076662947_551211e79d_b.jpg

46104237045_d5a7329c01_b.jpg

the room also includes these at the rear starboard corner

32076660567_1936aff57d_b.jpg

32076623817_b0e9fd4b56_b.jpg

that was "In Touch". Here are the "Card Room" tables

47018111431_6888325150_b.jpg

the dance floor for those with only one left foot

46966071142_256d3bc57f_b.jpg

More....

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:25 PM, Bimmer09 said:

Seeing the photo of me and our guide, Diana, reminded me of how much I enjoyed talking to our guides and drivers about their lives, families, hopes, and dreams. As Guidebook Carol I have already done a lot of research and know most of what I hear from guides, sometimes more than the guides. In fact it is quite tiring for me to have to pay such close attention and respond as appropriate to show I was paying attention for hours on end. (Am I the only one who feels this way about private tours?) The responsibility for interaction falls to me usually as Norris is hither and yon taking pictures. In most cases I would prefer just having a driver, actually. I also love using Rick Steves audio tours when in Europe , no interaction required. But these Cubans were very special and I’m glad I had the chance to get to know them a bit and experience the pride they had in their cities. 

Carol

• Like 9

Still enjoying your review. Was in Cuba for 2 weeks March 2001 with my hubby.

Stayed at beautiful resort in Jibacoa. About 1 hour from Havana.  Wednesday's were lobster night. People were lined up before supper started. Best lobster ever. Cut open face  & all eatable. Unlike other I have had where you can only eat the claws  & tail.  Would get dirty any day for  Cuban lobster. Did a walking tour in Matazas (art festival taking place)  & visited Havana. Were to go back following year but hubby not well.

Plan to cruise to Cuba this year with my son.

Heather.

Love all of pics from your second port stop.  Beautiful beach side.  Good choice with TA for lunch, I love sitting near the beach to eat, the food just tastes better.  Thank you for sharing your take on Azamara and seeing the Journey through your eyes.  I have started to visit the Azamara boards thanks to you.  

Can't wait to hear about White Nights.  Thank you Norris.

OK, back to the Living Room entertainment and relaxing space. Aren't forward facing public rooms just the best? X fans will agree with their Sky Lounges while Princess fans won't know what I am saying, except for those who sail the one R ship-Pacific Princess and buffet diners on the Island and Coral Princess. The seating on Journey beats any buffet chair....

Comfort and a view

33142647618_f3ee43863b_b.jpg

Get together with new friends

32076546077_e3791d8c2a_b.jpg

Listen to a live band or a DJ

46966210822_43bd1c0c38_b.jpg

46293835994_9a6b6d8523_b.jpg

and dance on a wooden floor

46966213242_5f5a8e4a95_b.jpg

Norris

• Like 1

Thank you for the great reporting. I was hoping to read this to the end before we sail on the Journey on Wednesday this week.  We are looking forward to this return visit to Cuba as we were there 1 1/2 years ago and visited all 3 ports at that time. That was our first visit and we didn't know what to expect. This time will be much more easy going. After that first time, we knew we wanted to go back. 

9 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Not a classic car. A Mochbuy. I would love to not have one of these in my garage.

47125076131_d175e9cda1_b.jpg

Those are Cyrillic letters.  The make is "Moskvitch" = Russian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskvitch

Will never be a classic car...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kent4489 said:

Thank you for the great reporting. I was hoping to read this to the end before we sail on the Journey on Wednesday this week.  We are looking forward to this return visit to Cuba as we were there 1 1/2 years ago and visited all 3 ports at that time. That was our first visit and we didn't know what to expect. This time will be much more easy going. After that first time, we knew we wanted to go back. 

Thank you Kent! I'm glad you have been enjoying this and can understand why you wanted to go back to Cuba again. I imagine like us you packed a lot into your first visit and can savor it even more this time at a more relaxed pace.

So I'll wish you a Bon Voyage and hope you'll come back to this when you have returned.

Thanks for your kind comment!

Do you have excursions planned?

Norris

White Night party

Prior to sailing  I had picked a couple of White Night party videos from Youtube to show Carol. 

Alas it wasn't something she looked forward to- the crowds, the steam table food keeping warm. I was Gung Ho to experience it and planned to be there at 6.30 when it started and before the band came on. I fancied some lobster sizzling on a BBQ grill, served by an Officer.

"I'm just going to rest my eyes" I recall saying late in the afternoon while in our cabin, stretched out on the bed, fully clothed. The note from my mother will blame the comfort of the bed on my napping for two hours and arriving at White Night an hour after the kick-off.

The pool deck had been transformed with white bunting and dining tables draped in white tablecloths and the band was playing. Every table was filled with eating and drinking diners and waiters were hustling to keep up with their wine needs and clearing plates.

We had missed the quiet time.

That's the Captain with his back to us

33259321068_320dae6a5c_b.jpg

32192881877_6da33340db_b.jpg

46411288284_c3a8c72703_b.jpg

We stayed through a wonderful tribute to the crew as members from all of the departments on board were introduced in their groups by Alicia Hill  and all of us, except those holding cameras, got a chance to thank them with our applause and whoops and hollers. No handguns were fired in the air. The groups paraded around the walking track on deck 10 before coming down to line-up on the pool deck.

33259382638_2e031bf86e_b.jpg

I didn't want to coerce Carol into staying and eating when she didn't feel comfortable and so we decided to eat in Discoveries which we figured would be sparsely populated.

This was my first White Night party and by this time in the cruise we had already decided that we were enjoying the Azamara culture and that it was unlikely we would never sail Azamara again, so I figured there may be another WNP in my future where we will get there early and have a nice little table for two up on deck 10.

I tip my hat to the organization and uniqueness of the event. 

Norris

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Those are Cyrillic letters.  The make is "Moskvitch" = Russian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskvitch

Will never be a classic car...

Jazzbeau, thanks for the link!

I am sure there are plenty of these cars still on the roads in Cuba.

Norris

Hi Norris,

I am once again enjoying your GSJ and Carol's insights of your fabulous trips. And since my office is closed today for the holiday, I have been able to catch up! I especially enjoy how grateful and appreciative you both are of the places you visit, the people you meet, both on the ships and in the ports, and that you never take anything for granted.  I wish all travelers traveled the way you do!  I feel very fortunate for the trips I have been able to do, and can relate to how you travel.  I am fortunate to be going to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu with Celebrity in June, which is a bucket list trip.  And I'm taking my Mom to Spain/Portugal on the Infinity next year, which has been a dream of hers.  To tell you the truth, when one of my friends mentioned going to Cuba, I initially thought "no", but after reading your review, I am putting this on my wish list of places I would like to visit, including Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Alaska (love your reviews), Polynesia, Hawaii.....the list goes on and on.  

I've already marked my calendar to check for your review of the Norwegian Fjords in September.  Thank you for your wonderful photos and your entertaining writing style - truly a joy to read your reviews!

Edited by Shimsdan
Misspelled word
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

Norris We have been looking at a cruise the goes through the Suez canal finishing in Dubai. Bit of a change from the usual Southampton to the Canaries and back.

Gordon, a bit of a change? I'll say! Sounds exotic and I'd love to see that Dubai architecture close-up. Have you decided to book it?

Norris

5 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Gordon, a bit of a change? I'll say! Sounds exotic and I'd love to see that Dubai architecture close-up. Have you decided to book it?

Norris

Norris I think we will be booking it but I will see if the suite I want is still available on Friday or Saturday (one disappeared over the weekend). I will let you know when it is booked. The Celebrity cruise is something silly like £12k for an S1Sky suite which I am not willing to pay. Getting a shade fed up with the Canaries itinerary anyway as the weather is iffy the closer you are to the UK in October and last October it was very cold, not just on the ship but in Bilbao and La Coruna. 

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

29 minutes ago, Shimsdan said:

Hi Norris,

I am once again enjoying your GSJ and Carol's insights of your fabulous trips. And since my office is closed today for the holiday, I have been able to catch up! I especially enjoy how grateful and appreciative you both are of the places you visit, the people you meet, both on the ships and in the ports, and that you never take anything for granted.  I wish all travelers traveled the way you do!  I feel very fortunate for the trips I have been able to do, and can relate to how you travel.  I am fortunate to be going to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu with Celebrity in June, which is a bucket list trip.  And I'm taking my Mom to Spain/Portugal on the Infinity next year, which has been a dream of hers.  To tell you the truth, when one of my friends mentioned going to Cuba, I initially thought "no", but after reading your review, I am putting this on my wish list of places I would like to visit, including Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Alaska (love your reviews), Polynesia, Hawaii.....the list goes on and on.  

I've already marked my calendar to check for your review of the Norwegian Fjords in September.  Thank you for your wonderful photos and your entertaining writing style - truly a joy to read your reviews!

Thank you Shimsdan, for such a generous response! I'm glad you are following along on another GSJ and that your interest in Cuba has been kindled.

I'm happy to see you sailing to some bucket-list places. Machu Picchu! Sounds like a photo opportunity if ever there was one. You haven't been to Alaska? I would put that at the top of my list for glacier viewing before some of them shrink even more. I think  I showed evidence of that in my Star Princess report from 2016.

Now that Cuba is behind us we can start thinking about the Norwegian trip on the Silhouette.

Excursion-wise I have only booked the Flam train so far but that was a bucket-list one for us.

We have a hotel in London booked-the Royal Horseguards by the Thames (anyone ever stayed there?). Haven't been in London since 1994 so am much looking forward to it. Carol was last there in 1972!

Cheers!

Norris

Norris,

Do you have pics of the food served at the WNP or in Discoveries coming soon?

Did you ever get your Lobster??

Thanks again for the pics & sharing your trip through Cuba.

We fly tomorrow to catch Azamara for Cuba, so we will miss your review of Santiago de Cuba and the end.

--f

4 minutes ago, farmerj said:

Norris,

Do you have pics of the food served at the WNP or in Discoveries coming soon?

Did you ever get your Lobster??

Thanks again for the pics & sharing your trip through Cuba.

We fly tomorrow to catch Azamara for Cuba, so we will miss your review of Santiago de Cuba and the end.

--f

Hi farmerj, no lobster for Norris on this trip. I didn't get food pics at WNP as I got there so late and didn't want to be in anyone's way. Had I been there early at the set-up, as at the brunch, I could have got pics. Some of the Youtube videos I watched caught the food well.

Bon Voyage on your sailing on Wednesday! More Discoveries pics coming today.

This write-up will be winding down by the time you return so come back then and let us know how your trip was. I can't see you being disappointed...

Norris

20 hours ago, Deck Chair Queen said:

Seeing the photo of me and our guide, Diana, reminded me of how much I enjoyed talking to our guides and drivers about their lives, families, hopes, and dreams. As Guidebook Carol I have already done a lot of research and know most of what I hear from guides, sometimes more than the guides. In fact it is quite tiring for me to have to pay such close attention and respond as appropriate to show I was paying attention for hours on end. (Am I the only one who feels this way about private tours?) The responsibility for interaction falls to me usually as Norris is hither and yon taking pictures. In most cases I would prefer just having a driver, actually. I also love using Rick Steves audio tours when in Europe , no interaction required. But these Cubans were very special and I’m glad I had the chance to get to know them a bit and experience the pride they had in their cities. 

Carol

Hello Carol

I agree with you about guides and private tours. As I grow older,my attention span grows shorter !

Your post reminded me of a small group tour  that my husband and I took while visiting the Grand Canyon.

It was to be a three hour tour which morphed into a six hour tour because the guide was so keen to share his passionate knowledge of the Canyon and the history of its’

indeginous people.

My husband totally enjoyed the tour as he is a detail person, I tired of it quickly after the third hour.

The theme from Gilligan’s Island -“a three hour tour,a three hour tour...” as we continued moving from site to site played in my mind.

When we consider tours while planning travel, I remind him of the Grand Canyon tour episode! We choose tours carefully after that experience.

Both my husband and I are following Norris’ GSJ with interest. We are also watching the documentary about Cuba on Netflix,which we also find very interesting.

Because of Norris’ excellent photographs, I recognize places in Havana that are featured in the film.

Please give Norris our thanks for the effort he is putting into this GSJ.

We look forward to his continued commentary and photos.

• Like 2

Quiet dinner in Discoveries

47083881232_1a827953ef_b.jpg

Window table.

32194195917_cdcd5f37d0_b.jpg

We have a new waiter tonight and he's new to the ship. His name is Yevgen, from Ukraine.

We found we had in common a love for Russian classical music and opera.

47084262832_6a52cf46fb_b.jpg

I may have been distracted but I forgot to take a photo of the dinner menu. Luckily Carol took notes.

this delicacy was my baked brie with walnuts, poorly focused (with apologies)

40171184653_08ffb01a10_b.jpg

However I didn't make a hash of her gazpacho!

46412550024_e414b6d024_b.jpg

I had a bowl of celery cream soup that hit the spot 

46412547654_3c3867da38_b.jpg

and we both had a filet Mignon with a small lobster tail, asparagus and Lyonnaise potato.

I had forgotten the lobster tail...thank you Carol's notes!

40171217733_b64ab943c8_b.jpg

46222321005_41e4ce44ff_b.jpg

While I had to enjoy a Sambuca and double espresso...

47136263161_069d2f7638_b.jpg

Carol ordered a dazzling Panna Cotta Glorie with papaya, kiwi and mango. Yum!

47083886182_d2fb2ae414_b.jpg

Another fine meal in Discoveries!

Norris

• Like 1

Really enjoying your review.  I was in Cuba in 2015 also on a cruise, Cylestial Cruises.  Had to start in Montego Bay because US citizens could not fly to Havana,  we were doing a people to people trip.  We also stayed overnight in Havana.  Also did Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba and a beach day.  That was a wonderful trip!  And it is so nice to see your photos and the changes that have come! 

The Royal Horseguards,  Beautiful hotel and excellent location!  You will love it!   Just my 2 cents!