Epic Failure - live onboard now (1.26.2019)

SeaTheW0rld

Real question:  do regular cruisers on the line refer to it as "NCL", or as "Norwegian"?  Both?  Neither?

Because regular cruisers on Holland America line call it "HAL" = like the name Hal. 

When someone calls it "Holland" I know they likely haven't cruised those ships more than once. 

I type RCCL, but say "Royal", as in "Loyal to Royal", even though that's an old slogan. 

Hey man, I'm getting on the Epic this Saturday, so right after you get back. I'd like your take a few things since you're dealing with it currently.

- I'm also on deck 9, did you like that deck location?

- Did you find any bars had shorter waits than others, were their better options during the days vs. the evenings?

- How's the cruise director? I never hear much about him/her in reviews?

- How's the water situation? Do you use their bottles or are you using your own water bottle and filling it up? Taste of the ship water?

- What restaurants have you enjoyed? Did you do the 3 specialty dining options thing? Which ones if you did would you recommend?

- Do you spend more time on your balcony or up on the ship's upper decks?

- Is the tendering situation easy to understand or is it just a mad dash for broke?

It appears that NCL hasn't met the expectations of what you want.  I'd recommend looking at some of the upper end cruise lines (Azamara, Silversea, etc) that have fewer guests with a lower staff to guest ratio and are able to give a little more personal attention to guests that need it.  Or, if booking NCL (or any other lower end cruise line like Royal, Carnival, MSC), book a Suite category cabin.  Ultimately you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

Surprised to see this thread!  I am a go with the flow person, and I wouldn't have been upset at any of these things.  However, on my last cruise on the Escape, I got seating in the MDR and sitting there for 1 hr with our menus and no one took our order, we got up and left. I mentioned it politely to the maitre d at the front and she went above and beyond for me the rest of the week.  I've always had any slight problems I have had with NCL fixed with such detail. For example, with the MDR situation, I got a free meal at Food Republic, as well as 2 bottles of wine of my choice off the menu.  Really, the whole thing was WAY too overboard as I wasn't even mad about waiting in the MDR for that long.  I understand that other people would have been mad, but ultimately, I'm on vacation to have a good time, not to sweat the small stuff. Just try to enjoy yourself and let all this other stuff go! 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 12:17 PM, Oakman58 said:

Priscilla is the best production show I've seen on any cruise and outshines many land based theater shows. The subject matter offends some people so be warned.  Theater entertainment is one of the things I look forward to on my cruises.

This is the one thing i'm not looking forward to on our upcoming trip on the epic.  What executive in his/her right mind thought a show about drag queens was going to be a good thing?  

• Like 2

On 1/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, fann1sh said:

OOoo, solo verandah with data and coffee.  THAT'S  sweet SeaTheW0rld!  (I'm also a T-Mobile customer, LOL).

BTW, I'm on a rollcall with  SeaTheW0rldI think most cruisers bring their experiences with other lines with them, like invisible baggage.  We all value something different.

I cruised once with a friend who said she'd never do it  again because "the crew smile too much".  She also hates clowns, so....

And I must say I'm fed to the teeth with rude pax (certainly no one on this thread!) who usually cruise NCL - then decide to cruise on other lines -  and come to the MDR on "dress up night" in shorts.  Then argue "I don't dress up for anyone on my vacation."  *sigh*

I've only experienced helpful answers from the front desk on Carnival, SeaThe W0rld.  Never RCCL, seldom with HAL.  I don't know how I would have made an end run on the cabin issue....maybe ask for more towels and soap, as I'd used all of mine scrubbing the bathroom?  :classic_smile:

I'm told NCL and specifically Epic has the best entertainment at sea.  Why don't you look into reserving seats at upcoming shows?

Hahahahaha, you would hate me then.  I'm on vacation, i dictate what I wear, not you.  You wanna pay for my cruise, then we will talk.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm curious... One thing they did on our  last Norwegian cruise, was block the way back onto the ship when leaving ports.  They would have crew members dancing in the way of the line of people trying to get on the ship.  This drove me nuts, as I am always anxious about missing the ship.  Do they still do this?  Just want to know, so I can walk around them.

23 minutes ago, BIG POOCH said:

This is the one thing i'm not looking forward to on our upcoming trip on the epic.  What executive in his/her right mind thought a show about drag queens was going to be a good thing?  

You know it had a six year run on Broadway. Everyone I know who saw it, loved it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

It appears that NCL hasn't met the expectations of what you want.  I'd recommend looking at some of the upper end cruise lines (Azamara, Silversea, etc) that have fewer guests with a lower staff to guest ratio and are able to give a little more personal attention to guests that need it.  Or, if booking NCL (or any other lower end cruise line like Royal, Carnival, MSC), book a Suite category cabin.  Ultimately you get what you pay for. 

Hal, carnival, princess and Costa will lie getting my future business.

I don't consider a clean cabin luxury. 

2 hours ago, Paelos said:

Hey man, I'm getting on the Epic this Saturday, so right after you get back. I'd like your take a few things since you're dealing with it currently.

- I'm also on deck 9, did you like that deck location?

- Did you find any bars had shorter waits than others, were their better options during the days vs. the evenings?

- How's the cruise director? I never hear much about him/her in reviews?

- How's the water situation? Do you use their bottles or are you using your own water bottle and filling it up? Taste of the ship water?

- What restaurants have you enjoyed? Did you do the 3 specialty dining options thing? Which ones if you did would you recommend?

- Do you spend more time on your balcony or up on the ship's upper decks?

- Is the tendering situation easy to understand or is it just a mad dash for broke?

I like Deck 9. It's in the middle. Only cabins above and below.

I don't drink (10 years sober). 

I don't pay extra for specialty dining. The MDR food and even the buffet is fine. On that topic, they have theme nights in the buffet. Tonight is Mediterranean night.

I like the ship's water. I refill my own. 

I have no idea who the cruise director is. 

Probably equal time between my balcony and the decks.

Tendering is a mad dash but I've been to all these ports before. I'm in no hurry to get off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

Hahahahaha, you would hate me then.  I'm on vacation, i dictate what I wear, not you.  You wanna pay for my cruise, then we will talk.  🙂

I never get when people freak out about what other people are wearing while eating. Honestly, my eyes barely leave my plate and I don't pay attention to other tables unless its a big family drama show or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG POOCH said:

Nope, not me.  The cruise line says what their "rules" are.   They even publish them, so you know before you book. 

My tip:   don't  try "my money, my vacation, my rules"  on Cunard. 

Also, on Holland America Line -  mandatory muster drill.   On one of my  cruises, the couple in the penthouse suite was lucky.  The captain agreed not to throw them off the ship if they apologised publicly at the drill for holding everyone up.   They thought he was kidding, until he gave them the microphone. 

A lot of talk here about how SeaTheW0rld isn't following NCL's "rules"  - even the ones that aren't published, like pagers.  

I try to find out what the "rules" are before I book, so I can be polite and follow them.

Your Mileage May Vary. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

???

These Queens are beautiful and the show is magnificent.  Why wouldn’t it be a good thing?

• Like 3

On 1/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, fann1sh said:

AOK, got it. 

Lube on a headboard is unacceptable - final stop.

You having to demand a new steward? 

I can't imagine it happening on Holland America Line, my next cruise.  Others here disagree, but for me that would be a "never-get-over". 

I can. On our first of two HAL cruises we had to call front desk three times during the week as our cabin was not maid at 1 pm.

Out of all lines and ships we had it twice. On Zuiderdam and NCL Spirit.

As for gyms. I don’t always exercise so cannot comment on all lines and ships.

I remember gyms open earlier than 6 am on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas and Royal Princess.

On Grandeur it wasn’t advertised and main door was closed, but there was a hidden door from lower floor that I used 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Tatka said:

On our first of two HAL cruises we had to call front desk three times during the week as our cabin was not maid at 1 pm.

Out of all lines and ships we had it twice. On Zuiderdam and NCL Spirit.

Thanks for sharing that. 

5 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

Not completely.

Some restaurants even on Norwegian do not allow shorts.

On Dawn and Jewel class it’s aft restaurants and one of additional (Bistro?)

42 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Not completely.

Some restaurants even on Norwegian do not allow shorts.

On Dawn and Jewel class it’s aft restaurants and one of additional (Bistro?)

Then i'll be sure to take a pic of me eating in them in shorts, cuz I don't bring long pants on cruises.

10 hours ago, BIG POOCH said:

Then i'll be sure to take a pic of me eating in them in shorts, cuz I don't bring long pants on cruises.

There are several MDRs and numerous per fee restaurants, so I’m sure you will be able to take photos. 

22 hours ago, fann1sh said:

Nope, not me.  The cruise line says what their "rules" are.   They even publish them, so you know before you book. 

My tip:   don't  try "my money, my vacation, my rules"  on Cunard. 

Also, on Holland America Line -  mandatory muster drill.   On one of my  cruises, the couple in the penthouse suite was lucky.  The captain agreed not to throw them off the ship if they apologised publicly at the drill for holding everyone up.   They thought he was kidding, until he gave them the microphone. 

A lot of talk here about how SeaTheW0rld isn't following NCL's "rules"  - even the ones that aren't published, like pagers.  

I try to find out what the "rules" are before I book, so I can be polite and follow them.

Your Mileage May Vary. 

The only rule about pagers should be: when the customer asks for one, you give them one. Period. 

I ate in the buffet last night. I always walk thru to see what they have on their theme night. Last night was Mediterranean night. They had actual Beef Wellington. I don't see how that fit into the theme, but it was delicious. 

I did get a call from a MDR manager a few minutes ago. I was assured I would not have that problem again. 

Edited by SeaTheW0rld
More info

Well, I'm not sure what they were going for when they name the ship epic. In my mind they have achieved it, however, because this is an epic failure.

Embarkation took over 2 hours because two of the metal detectors were not in use (50% offline) and 8 of the check-in counters we're not staffed (25% offline). 

Dirty cabins space - space I have never had to spend hours cleaning my cabin. Some guy named Satish, I think he was an executive housekeeper or something because he was in white, wouldn't even give me any cleaning products. 

It seems "no" is a favorite word around here. 

This whole freestyle thing is a scam. For  instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning. The gym doesn't open until 6am. Can't do what you want when you want unless the clock says you can. Sounds familiar. 

Unchanging menus, surly staff. 

What an Epic failure. Only 7 days until we return to FL. Just pulling in to Ochos Rios. 

Lighten up and try to enjoy your vacation - seems like you are searching for things to complain about. If your room isn't clean, contact the hotel director., If you want coffee stocked in your room, call your steward. Who in gods name wants to work out before 6 am on vacation? goodness gracious. Make due with what you have available and enjoy your down time while the rest of the country freezes!