Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SeaTheW0rld

Epic Failure - live onboard now (1.26.2019)

Recommended Posts

Well, I'm not sure what they were going for when they name the ship epic. In my mind they have achieved it, however, because this is an epic failure.

 

Embarkation took over 2 hours because two of the metal detectors were not in use (50% offline) and 8 of the check-in counters we're not staffed (25% offline). 

 

Dirty cabins space - space I have never had to spend hours cleaning my cabin. Some guy named Satish, I think he was an executive housekeeper or something because he was in white, wouldn't even give me any cleaning products. 

 

It seems "no" is a favorite word around here. 

 

This whole freestyle thing is a scam. For  instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning. The gym doesn't open until 6am. Can't do what you want when you want unless the clock says you can. Sounds familiar. 

 

Unchanging menus, surly staff. 

 

What an Epic failure. Only 7 days until we return to FL. Just pulling in to Ochos Rios. 

 

 

Edited by SeaTheW0rld
Change title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First night and I was getting ready for bed too, I noticed there was no coffee so I called down to have some delivered. Didn't get any. 

 

So I called the front desk when I wake up asking them to send up some coffee packets. Again. I was told my choices were to go get it myself or pay $8 and have room service bring me some. 🤬

 

The correct answer would been been "we'll send some right up".  Take responsibility for your errors!

 

 

Edited by SeaTheW0rld
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

 

 

This whole freestyle thing is a scam. For  instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning. The gym doesn't open until 6am. Can't do what you want when you want unless the clock says you can. Sounds familiar. 


 

 

6 AM is the norm ...... Perhaps it's 6 AM due to the fact that there are cabins with people sleeping in them right below the gym. One would believe that this is out of courtesy for fellow passengers and not so much of an issue of "violating" the freestyle experience. I know I wouldn't want to hear weights and what not above my cabin at 4AM or whenever you want to get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Well, I'm not sure what they were going for when they name the ship epic. In my mind they have achieved it, however, because this is an epic failure.

 

Embarkation took over 2 hours because two of the metal detectors were not in use (50% offline) and 8 of the check-in counters we're not staffed (25% offline). 

 

Dirty cabins space - space I have never had to spend hours cleaning my cabin. Some guy named Satish, I think he was an executive housekeeper or something because he was in white, wouldn't even give me any cleaning products. 

 

It seems "no" is a favorite word around here. 

 

This whole freestyle thing is a scam. For  instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning. The gym doesn't open until 6am. Can't do what you want when you want unless the clock says you can. Sounds familiar. 

 

Unchanging menus, surly staff. 

 

What an Epic failure. Only 7 days until we return to FL. Just pulling in to Ochos Rios. 

 

 

check in staff are port staff not NCL-cant lay that one at feet of Epic

dirty cabins-if cabin steward not doing his job and executive housekeeper unable to sort out there is a box at guest services where you can write to  hotel director-have always had a response

 

gym is over cabins therefore its an unsociable hours / noise issue to have open 24 hours

 

Epic seems to divide opinion -some love it others hate it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you can get in your workout at 6am, and move past a coffee packet error in order to enjoy your time. There's still sunshine and music and fresh ocean air out there to enjoy. Little things like that annoy me too, but being out on the sea is still better than a regular old day at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Well, let's be honest here ...... Most people would agree that Freestyle cruising had more to do with dinner times and dress where you could eat without a set dinner time and wear jeans and a t-shirt like times in the past. Most don't take the term "freestyle crusing" so literally and see it more ass a catch phrase for NCL. I wouldn't expect a bar tender to make me a martini at 3:45 AM because it's supposed to be "freestyle cruising" ...... or whatever. All ships on all lines have hours of operation for certain venues. 

It’s Freestyle not Freedom to do whatever, whenever you want you want, IMHO.  If it’s exercise you were wanting they have an outdoor walking/jogging track that’s not busy early in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cheersforbeers said:

It’s Freestyle not Freedom to do whatever, whenever you want you want, IMHO.  If it’s exercise you were wanting they have an outdoor walking/jogging track that’s not busy early in the morning.

There is no walking/jogging on the Epic. There is an area on Deck seven where you can walk back and forth by the lifeboats. Besides, I do weights. There's enough walking on this ship for cardio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading your post before I go out in the nice 17 degree weather and get my cold hat and gloves out of car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

There is no walking/jogging on the Epic. There is an area on Deck seven where you can walk back and forth by the lifeboats. Besides, I do weights. There's enough walking on this ship for cardio. 

There is a huge sports court on Epic, you could do weights, you could do some resistance training with your own body weight. Push ups, squats sit ups etc. then when the gym opens you could do more weight training. Enjoy the cruise life and cruises are short! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, beantownmike said:

There is a huge sports court on Epic, you could do weights, you could do some resistance training with your own body weight. Push ups, squats sit ups etc. then when the gym opens you could do more weight training. Enjoy the cruise life and cruises are short! 

 

Per dailies, the sports court doesn't open until 8am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

Well, I'm not sure what they were going for when they name the ship epic. In my mind they have achieved it, however, because this is an epic failure.

 

Embarkation took over 2 hours because two of the metal detectors were not in use (50% offline) and 8 of the check-in counters we're not staffed (25% offline). 

 

Dirty cabins space - space I have never had to spend hours cleaning my cabin. Some guy named Satish, I think he was an executive housekeeper or something because he was in white, wouldn't even give me any cleaning products. 

 

It seems "no" is a favorite word around here. 

 

This whole freestyle thing is a scam. For  instance, I like to workout first thing in the morning. The gym doesn't open until 6am. Can't do what you want when you want unless the clock says you can. Sounds familiar. 

 

Unchanging menus, surly staff. 

 

What an Epic failure. Only 7 days until we return to FL. Just pulling in to Ochos Rios. 

 

 

The team on land checking you go through security with are the Port authority , we had to wait a couple weeks ago in Tampa, the  machines worked,  they just tried saying it was too full in the building  ( no one was in the room)  But that is out of Norwegians hands. Send a complaint to the port agent. Also the team that checks you in at the desks are employed by intercruises  shoreside. Send a complaint to them. 

 

As far as the room goes, ask to speak to the hotel director if you are truly unhappy. 

 

The gym hours are posted in the Freestyle dailies, those are available before sailing by various posts on line with a simple search . That way you would not have had a surprise of the time if that is a high priority to you. 

 

I really hope you can still have a good time and enjoy your cruise, any day st sea is better then a day at work! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

What are your other ports of call?

Great stirrup Caye (cancelled do to sea conditions, but at least they served the BBQ lunch leftovers the next night in the MDR).

Jamaica.

Grand Cayman.

Cozumel.

Belieze.

 

I've been to all these ports. This cruise, the ship was the destination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say, get off the internet and enjoy yourself.  Which is exactly what I am fixing to do at home, it’s 32 degrees outside here, no sympathy for you. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I thought the Epic was sinking :classic_ohmy:

 

Get your mind out of this negativity and enjoy your cruise.  You waited way too long and paid too much to let such trivial things ruing your vacation.  YES, they are trivial things and typical cruise line issues.

Port issues suck but out of the cruise line's hands

Dirty cabins should never be accepted but it does happen.  Of course they are not going to give you cleaning products to clean the cabin they are supposed to do.  C'mon I am sure it will be cleaned in an hour or so.

I work out at LA Fitness in Miami and the gym does not open till 8 am on Sat and Sun.  6 am is the norm

Unchanging menus but over 10 restaurants to choose from = variety

It was 57 and cold rain here in Miami this morning. I am sure this front is affecting the Bahamas too.  These things happen and got to roll with the punches while cruising. GSC is sometimes 50/50 shot.

 

Not flaming you. Just trying to give you a reality check.  We dream of our cruise for months or sometimes years just like women dream of their wedding.  Sometimes the smallest thing like rain or something can set us off because its not the perfect situation we dreamed of.  Every one of the complaints happens on every ship, on every cruise line and every port from time to time.  Clearly these are first world problems.  Take a few hours to meditate and get your groove back.  Go have fun.  We are on land working and would switch places with you in a second.

Edited by david_sobe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpcdds6 said:

The bathrooms? What did you think of the Epic bathrooms?

They are a design element. Odd, but functional. I like a lot of the interior design elements. The Cave bar is exceptional in terms of design. Love the drapes in the photo gallery. 

 

My fav lines? Costa for their itineraries. Holland America line for the shipboard experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually did get off the ship. Driver named Kevin took me around the city. Cool guy. I'll post his info on the ports board. Here is EPIC in OR.

20190126_114157.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

6 AM is the norm ...... Perhaps it's 6 AM due to the fact that there are cabins with people sleeping in them right below the gym. One would believe that this is out of courtesy for fellow passengers and not so much of an issue of "violating" the freestyle experience. I know I wouldn't want to hear weights and what not above my cabin at 4AM or whenever you want to get there. 

 

Totally agree👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

I actually did get off the ship. Driver named Kevin took me around the city. Cool guy. I'll post his info on the ports board. Here is EPIC in OR.

20190126_114157.jpg

 

Yeah, looks like a terrible time. Just awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they still have parts of Deck 15 and 16 portside closed while they are installing the scrubber system? The closed decks didn't really bother me, but the sawing and grinding noises during the afternoon during the 1-12 sailing were annoying. I remember more than one occasion where I was awakened from my afternoon nap due to the sawing and grinding....though, not anywhere near as bad as the poor folks on the Sun Panama Canal cruise endured a year or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

6 AM is the norm ...... Perhaps it's 6 AM due to the fact that there are cabins with people sleeping in them right below the gym. One would believe that this is out of courtesy for fellow passengers and not so much of an issue of "violating" the freestyle experience. I know I wouldn't want to hear weights and what not above my cabin at 4AM or whenever you want to get there. 

As someone who DID have a cabin right underneath the cardio room portion of the gym (on the Bliss),  I frankly wished they didn't open until 8 lol!  Happily it seemed that people lost their resolve after the first morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not going to comment on most of the issues that the OP had. They are personal experiences and just because they haven't happened to me doesn't mean that they didn't happen to someone else.

 

However, I have to comment on the gym/freestyle thing. It seems that freestyle is something that some people expect more from than it really offers. The idea is that you can decide on what you want to do, rather than it be dictated by the cruise line. You decide when and where to eat, or which shows it watch (especially on the newer ships), and you decide whether to dress up or not.

 

What it doesn't mean is that there is a table waiting for you whenever you want in any restaurant. You still need to make reservations. If you understand this then you will get along with freestyle better. It also doesn't mean that you can do any activity you fancy at any time. Things still have opening and closing times.

 

Basically, as with all of these things, you need to look a bit beyond the advertising and consider what is the fact behind it. That applies to most companies, not just NCL.

 

I remember a discussion on these boards a few years ago where someone seemed to think that he could turn up at any entertainment venue on the ship at any time and demand to see the show right then. When I tried to explain that this wasn't what freestyle meant his response was that, as I was from the UK I obviously didn't understand the concept of freedom. 🙂

Edited by KeithJenner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...