9Hotel Cesari - April to Dec not accepting reservations

cmcsharon

I just learned (via email from the hotel) that they are not accepting reservations from April 2019 through December 2019 because of renovations that will be occurring. 

Unfortunately for me, I booked (and paid - 3 nights) for a room there for May 2019 several months ago and have a confirmed reservation.  I've been emailing the hotel trying to find out what this means to us (are they going to cancel us at the last minute...or, no better, are we going to be surrounded by construction mess)  and what I get back is...we don't know when we'll be starting the renovations, maybe in May, maybe in July...just keep in touch.   

If you were me (first trip to Rome), would you be reserving a Plan B hotel...or, is this common and the hotel will sort things out?  I only found out about it because my sister tried to book a room for September.

Thanks. 

Thank you both for the suggestions.  I just realized I left out a key detail, I booked a non-refundable rate directly with the hotel.  So, I can't cancel it, but my fear is that they could cancel it at the last minute.  I'm sure they'd issue a refund in that case...but, I need a place to stay.  I'll take both of your advice and I'll book a Plan B hotel that has no restrictions on cancelling, and hold on to our reservation at 9Hotel Cesari and watch the TripAdvisor reviews.  That'll give me peace of mind knowing I have a backup plan and I still have a couple of months for things to work out with the original hotel.  Thank you!!

11 hours ago, cmcsharon said:

Thank you both for the suggestions.  I just realized I left out a key detail, I booked a non-refundable rate directly with the hotel.  So, I can't cancel it, but my fear is that they could cancel it at the last minute.  I'm sure they'd issue a refund in that case...but, I need a place to stay.  I'll take both of your advice and I'll book a Plan B hotel that has no restrictions on cancelling, and hold on to our reservation at 9Hotel Cesari and watch the TripAdvisor reviews.  That'll give me peace of mind knowing I have a backup plan and I still have a couple of months for things to work out with the original hotel.  Thank you!!

Sounds like a good plan. Yes -- if Hotel Cesari cancels you, you should not have to pay any penalty.

If you're looking for a hotel near the Pantheon that tends to be in the same price bucket as Cesari (perhaps slightly more), I can recommend Albergo Santa Chiara -- it's just tucked behind the Pantheon; excellent location, updated rooms and very good breakfast.

I'm sorry for you, but that's interesting.  I had been trying to book that hotel for months for September 2019, but the rate kept showing as 3200 euro per night.  I guess that is one way of making sure people do not book their hotel for that time period.

18 hours ago, alrose251 said:

Gosh, I have reservations for 4 nights in May at a good rate.  I sure hope they willing not be doing renovations.  I don't have the energy to look for another hotel :classic_huh:

I also have reservations in May. I sent them an email since I was concerned about the renovations too. The hotel responded that they hadn't decided when renovations would begin and I was fine with my reservation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That’s interesting, I’ve been communicating over the last couple of days via email for possible October 2019 reservations, they’ve been very pleasant, no mention of renovations. 

Edited by hun

I think they invented telephones for a situation such as encountered by the OP.  Since the hotel is not responding to e-mails (very strange) you might simply call them during regular business hours in Rome.  There should be somebody working who is fluent in English and you can ask about the issue.  If they do cancel ask that they send you a cancelation confirmation in writing (e-mail is sufficient).  If, after a few weeks you have not received a refund of your pre-paid money then you should put the item into "dispute" with your credit card.

Hank