Btimmer's Almost Live Blog - Maasdam to Sri Lanka 2019

Btimmer

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Great reports, btimmer. Glad to learn the lecturer quality and the passenger engagement remains high.  

Any word if both the captain and KK will still be on for next July 19 InDepth - SF to Japan? 

Looks like we both will be sharing our Gold Medallion moment on that cruise, unless you have even another HAL cruise tucked in somewhere in between. 

The Captain indicated he might back then, and I don't know about KK.

Yes, the lecture quality has been excellent fir the most part and Terry Greenberg will be back along with Al Trujillo (from the first segment).

We'll hit gold on the second segment of the three segments we are on starting in July.  Nothing before then is scheduled.

See you then.

• Thanks 1

btimmer, your observations about excessive ship vibrations when going anything over 18 knots are what we observed too.  That is when the Maasdam appears to max out.

It was really crazy back in our very aft cabin between the fixed propellers and the overall  speed vibrations on some of our longer hauls on the Kontiki Explorer last year. Adding the fact we had to make up for that lost day when we could not get into Easter Island but still got our full two days as promised.

We moved more central for our next Maasdam cruise, as much as we loved the "mini-wrap" verandah. DH is an old Navy man it bothered him not one whit, but it was something I became very aware of but realized it was not as noticeable more centered we were on the ship.

Now it is aware and prepare.

Thanks for this thread and your detailed blog. You really gave a good idea of the In Depth program on the Maasdam and the number, variety and quality of the talks on board. I can't wait to sail on her from Seattle to Japan in July, to see Nome Alaska and 3 East Russian ports and learn about these places on the ship.

btimmer, your observations about excessive ship vibrations when going anything over 18 knots are what we observed too.  That is when the Maasdam appears to max out.

It was really crazy back in our very aft cabin between the fixed propellers and the overall  speed vibrations on some of our longer hauls on the Kontiki Explorer last year. Adding the fact we had to make up for that lost day when we could not get into Easter Island but still got our full two days as promised.

We moved more central for our next Maasdam cruise, as much as we loved the "mini-wrap" verandah. DH is an old Navy man it bothered him not one whit, but it was something I became very aware of but realized it was not as noticeable more centered we were on the ship.

Now it is aware and prepare.

I have never found the vibrations excessive on any ship. But I do notice changes in them.

For this second leg we were in an outside cabin port side forward and just aft of the medical center. In our cabin we were above some electric motors that were activated when docking or tendering preparations occurred at arrival and departure times. I suspect they had to do with the gang plank or tender platform.

For the July voyage on the Maasdam, we are sailing with a guarantee inside cabin, so we don't know where we'll be until shortly before departure.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/14/2019 at 2:00 PM, OlsSalt said:

Great reports, btimmer. Glad to learn the lecturer quality and the passenger engagement remains high.  

Any word if both the captain and KK will still be on for next July 19 InDepth - SF to Japan? 

Looks like we both will be sharing our Gold Medallion moment on that cruise, unless you have even another HAL cruise tucked in somewhere in between. 

Thanks. I'll be doing a few more updates to the blog before closing it out.  There are still many passengers who didn't realize this is a different form of cruise.  HAL marketing is missing the mark pretty significantly.  We even had a couple of fellow passengers indicate there was nothing to do.  We don't gamble, drink, do trivia, knit, and the like and I still only got one book read in three weeks!  We'd leave our stateroom at 8am most days and not be back until 10-11pm (except to grab a soda for lunch or dinner or perhaps change clothes).

We are now home and I dug the car out of the snow and unplugged the dryer vent. Back to reality. 😉

Captain Jutten told me he hopes to be back in in July.  He's a delight to sail with and REALLY likes doing these new itineraries.  I don't know about KK.

We should hit Gold medallion status after the second leg of the upcoming voyage.  We'll see if they honor us on the Maasdam or on our following cruise on the Volendam to Brazil.

Tim

Edited by Btimmer

Enjoyed following your adventure.

Glad you are home safely.

Thanks, and I am super glad that Tapatalk is back to being usable with Cruise Critic. I've been giving serious thought to dropping participation in CC because of the unfriendly user experience changes on the CC website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk