Photo Review of Ruby Princess to Mexican Riviera 01/19/2019

Bostonjetset

On 1/29/2019 at 4:46 PM, Bostonjetset said:

01/20/2019 - 11.16pm

We had planned to attend the Zumba class this morning at 9.00am but we overslept.  Instead, we did a 2 miles walk [5 laps] around the Promenade Deck.  For lunch we had the pub lunch at the Crown Grill.  The fish was wonderful and tasted fresh.  After lunch we went to the Terrace Pool to have a swim and lounge about; there were not many sea-day activities today that we of interest so we just relaxed.

The show tonight was a singing/variety show with Bryan Cheatham of America's Got Talent.  He was very good but I still preferred last night's show "Magic To Do" which featured musical theatre songs by Steven Schwartz.  That really was a fun show.  Tonight was the first formal night; I always enjoy the chance to dress for dinner.  Tomorrow is our first port of call: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.  We're thinking of making this our beach day of the trip.

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

That cake looks heavenly!  

Which restaurant do they serve it?

Thank you for taking time to share your review.   My husband I were on the Ruby in December for this itinerary.  It was our first cruise ever.  We absolutely loved it.   Because we hadn’t cruised before we purchased Princess excursions for Mazatlan and PV.   Your tips and descriptions have given me ideas for these ports when we do it again in December-this time on Royal.  

6 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

That cake looks heavenly!  

Which restaurant do they serve it?

Actually that was a dessert in the MDR on the first night!! It was so beautifully presented, I had to take a picture haha. It had a hazelnut flavor. 

1 hour ago, pivibird said:

Thank you for taking time to share your review.   My husband I were on the Ruby in December for this itinerary.  It was our first cruise ever.  We absolutely loved it.   Because we hadn’t cruised before we purchased Princess excursions for Mazatlan and PV.   Your tips and descriptions have given me ideas for these ports when we do it again in December-this time on Royal.  

You are very welcome!  Thanks for reading!  I'm glad I could give you some tips for the future cruise so you can save some money on excursions; ships' excursions have their place but are not necessary in all ports.  Enjoy your cruise on the Royal; I've sailed her sister ship, the Regal, and it's a wonderful class of ship.

Enjoyed reading your review and seeing the pictures!  We have been on the Ruby a few years ago New York to Quebec City, loved that trip.  Taking a California Coastal next week and then Australia/New Zealand next February all on the Ruby, glad to hear that you were very pleased overall!   Our last Princess cruise was British Isles on the Caribbean Princess and I didn’t care for that ship much. 

5 minutes ago, Maui Girl said:

Enjoyed reading your review and seeing the pictures!  We have been on the Ruby a few years ago New York to Quebec City, loved that trip.  Taking a California Coastal next week and then Australia/New Zealand next February all on the Ruby, glad to hear that you were very pleased overall!   Our last Princess cruise was British Isles on the Caribbean Princess and I didn’t care for that ship much. 

Why?

What is wrong with the ship?

King

On 1/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, Dididi said:

Bostonjet,

We'll be on the Emerald Princess on the same itinerary in two week so your thoughtful and fair review is most timely.  I had been on the fence about SHARE despite loving Curtis Stone's fish stew -- only times I have asked for seconds on a cruise ship.  After looking at your photos, we'll give it a try.  Your positive outlook is contagious!

We'll also be on the Emerald (2/17), I'm assuming the entertainment will be the same?  Do you happen to know if our sailing is the first MR itinerary of the season on the Emerald (was hoping to catch at least one review)?

We were on that cruise with you!  I love your photos and equally love your writing style. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I want to share with you that our cold soup was served in a bowl. How funny since we were on the same cruise. 

8A6EFFDA-D2D1-497A-A858-DC20DAAE2DA9.jpeg

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

On 2/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, Maui Girl said:

Thanks for reading.  I'm happy you enjoyed it.  Have a fabulous next couple of cruises!  Australia...how exciting!

On 2/6/2019 at 9:58 PM, Lovetotraveltami said:

Thank you for the great photos and review!

You are most welcome.  Thank you for reading. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:32 PM, bighairtexan said:

Adding my thanks to those above. Sailing on the Ruby in a bit over  a month so it's good to see she's looking good.  

She is lovely indeed.  Thanks for reading!

21 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We were on that cruise with you!  I love your photos and equally love your writing style. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I want to share with you that our cold soup was served in a bowl. How funny since we were on the same cruise. 

8A6EFFDA-D2D1-497A-A858-DC20DAAE2DA9.jpeg

A proper bowl!!! I must say I'm jealous haha.  I do admit that I had another cold soup later on during the week and it came in a bowl also; I'm not sure why the first night's soup was served like a tropical drink at the Copacabana but I digress.  

Thank you for reading and thanks for the compliments on my writing style.  I hope you enjoyed this cruise as much as I did; it truly was a wonderful itinerary. 

• Like 1

overall.     Our last Princess cruise was British Isles on the Caribbean Princess and I didn’t care for that ship much. 

Why?

What is wrong with the ship?

King

I don’t want to hijack BostonJetSets post with stuff about Caribbean Princess, nothing is wrong with it, it just felt “old and rundown “ to me. Sailed in September 2017, and the CB had just had an expensive dry dock, but it was primarily remodeling the Horizon Court and adding space for their new casual upcharge restaurants, crab shack and planks bbq.   In my opinion, customers would be better served if they put the money into cabin maintenance and upgrades.   I’m happy to hear that the Ruby Princess is well maintained! 

9 hours ago, golfcartcruisers said:

Thank you for your great review and photos, we will be on the Ruby in two weeks so your insights are especially appreciated!! 

Thanks for reading. I'm happy you found it helpful.  Enjoy your cruise! 

5 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Nice review.  Do you remember names of the restaurants in Mazatlan and PV you were at?   Did you walk all the way back to the ship from the restaurant in PV?

Aporeciate your taking time to do a photos as well, love Ruby. 

Sandipalms

Thanks for reading!  In PV we ate at a place called "Si Señor" and the fish tacos were delicious.  We did not walk back to the ship as it's quite far; we took a taxi from the start of the Malecon.

In Mazatlan we ate at a restaurant in the Plazuela Machado called "Mr. Lionso"...there is a bottle of alcohol with a fermented snake in it on the hostess stand so you can't miss it HAHA.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, Dididi said:

Bostonjet,

We'll be on the Emerald Princess on the same itinerary in two week so your thoughtful and fair review is most timely.  I had been on the fence about SHARE despite loving Curtis Stone's fish stew -- only times I have asked for seconds on a cruise ship.  After looking at your photos, we'll give it a try.  Your positive outlook is contagious!

We'll also be on the Emerald (2/17), I'm assuming the entertainment will be the same?  Do you happen to know if our sailing is the first MR itinerary of the season on the Emerald (was hoping to catch at least one review)?

On 2/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Sorry, you are wrong.  Not trying to scare anyone.  Just informational.

This article was recently in Condé Nast :

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-mexico-to-avoid-at-all-costs.html/

I’ve been cruising to Mexico (Mexican Riviera, and Mayan cruises) and land vacations, for at least 15 years without incident.  But,  my comment was to explain to the poster why you see highly visible Mexican armed police and military presence in popular tourist cities where cruise ships visit.

Enjoy your cruise.  And safe travels.

King

Thanks for this.  I have traveled dozens of time to the MR, all without incident.  This time however, I have decided to cancel my tour which would require a 45 minute drive from the port.  Our gov't has issued a Level 4 alert (do not travel).  In all my days, I've never seen a Level 4.  It makes sense with the El Chapo/drug cartel situation and still, many say they felt totally safe while there.  For me, it's about being in the wrong place at the wrong time which, agreeably could happen anywhere in the world, but the chances in Sinaloa at this particular time seem at an all time high in my opinion.  

Not sure what we'll do that day...have yet to be in a port and not get off the ship!

OK, I know Ruby is not OM ready yet, but some things have been installed. Cruise card has to be placed on door screen to unlock? Have they installed the large screens in the public areas yet? Drink runners ,  do they swipe your card or use the chip?

20 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Thanks for this.  I have traveled dozens of time to the MR, all without incident.  This time however, I have decided to cancel my tour which would require a 45 minute drive from the port.  Our gov't has issued a Level 4 alert (do not travel).  In all my days, I've never seen a Level 4.  It makes sense with the El Chapo/drug cartel situation and still, many say they felt totally safe while there.  For me, it's about being in the wrong place at the wrong time which, agreeably could happen anywhere in the world, but the chances in Sinaloa at this particular time seem at an all time high in my opinion.  

Not sure what we'll do that day...have yet to be in a port and not get off the ship!

I totally understand. Everyone has their own level of comfort and nothing I or anyone else can say will change that. It truly was a lovely port though so perhaps rather than the excursion out of town you could pick something a little closer to the ship? The old town is lovely and I believe the warning you speak of specifically excluded Mazatlán old town. 

17 hours ago, jlp20 said:

OK, I know Ruby is not OM ready yet, but some things have been installed. Cruise card has to be placed on door screen to unlock? Have they installed the large screens in the public areas yet? Drink runners ,  do they swipe your card or use the chip?

The screens to unlock the door are present and functional. The large screens throughout the ship are present but not functional for anything other than a map...touching the screen does nothing. 

Drinks I’m not sure but I assume swipe as they took the cards with them and brought them back with the drink. In the shops it was a swipe. 

6 hours ago, Nee Nee and Biddy said:

Great review! We did this cruise in March 2017 and really enjoyed it.  You mentioned you had sailed Cunard.  Did you do a photo review like this one for that trip? I'm considering a Cunard cruise and would love more info about it.  Thanks!

Thanks for reading and for the compliment! 

I have sailed Cunard twice, both times on transatlantic crossings on the Queen Mary 2.  I have not sailed them for a traditional cruise but I wish I could sail them more [with only 3 ships it is hard to nail down the perfect dates with work, etc.].  I did indeed post reviews; the first trip was a westbound TA in Sept 2015 and that review does not have photos.  The 2nd time was an eastbound TA in January 2017 and that review DOES have photos.  Both links are below if you would like to read.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, Bostonjetset said:

The screens to unlock the door are present and functional. The large screens throughout the ship are present but not functional for anything other than a map...touching the screen does nothing. 

Drinks I’m not sure but I assume swipe as they took the cards with them and brought them back with the drink. In the shops it was a swipe. 

Thanks

Bostonjetset, I appreciate your taking time to respond.  

We have never not seen the police with guns in back of trucks when in Mexican ports.  Just my opinion, they make me feel safer when I see them.  

Thanks for the level 4 alert.   Love spending port days onboard Princess ships.

Sandipalms