HAWAII from Los Angeles

travelgirl45

A friend and I are thinking about doing the HAWAII cruise from Los Angeles on the Emerald Princess.  15 Days !   For those who have been on the Emerald Princess,  your thoughts.  I assume a nice ship.  Also, What do you do for all those SEA DAYS ! ! ?????  Have never been on a cruise with so many sea days.  We prefer to be active, not bored.  Not into cards, reading and can only take sooooo much sun.  I assume it will be sunny.  AND, since everyone is on the ship in the evening, is it hard to get show seats.??  Thanks for all the info.   

I've done a Trans-Atlantic on the Emerald and didn't find it difficult to get show seats, even with five days at sea.  I thought she was a nice ship and will be sailing on her again in November. 

As for Hawaii, I spent a lot of time at the MUTS pool, watching movies.  The other pool will probably have some pool games, and sometimes the party band, or a DJ, will come out during lunch hours.  There's also Hawaiian themed classes like lei making or ukelele.   They will offer trivia, Princess pop choir, etc., just like on other ships. I think you will find plenty to keep yourself busy.  The days go by really fast. 🙂

Go to the shows 15 - 20 minutes early to get decent seating. We tend to just get a drink, take it to the theater, and then read for 20 minutes or so. We like sea days. There's always trivia and such and, unlike yourself, we do like to read. We never seem to get bored on the ship. We did a 28 day cruise last year and 18 of those days (including the last 8 in a row) were sea days. We didn't have a problem with it at all.

• Like 3

We get late seating for dinner and never have a problem getting seats for the late show, but we do get there about 15 minutes early.

I love Trivia and do that. Princess also has port talks along with enrichment lectures. If you get lucky, there is a couple that sails with princess (See post below for their info) that do Hula and Uke lessons. There are also Port talks along with specialized information talks. Sometimes is you are an engineer/crafter, they do the scrap heap challenge and egg drop. DW enjoys the talks and also some of the crafting activities put on by the staff. We both read and bring a few books each to enjoy, though with the activities, we never finish the one we bring.

We both enjoy dancing on sea days in the evening as well as going a a class during the day sometimes.

Napping is also a great activity. Just make sure you are trained properly (LOL)“Nap on Safely” training.

On 11/19/2018 at 3:15 PM, Elua said:

Aloha Kakou!

Mahalo nui for the kind words and compliments. Leialoha and I had a wonderful time on the Coral and we’re surprised and delighted by the level of participation and enthusiasm for all of our activities and music performances. Everyone on the Coral was 100% receptive to the Aloha Spirit, and this is an assignment that we will reminisce on for many years to come.

To all, we send our aloha until we all sail together again!

Aloha Nui,

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

www.facebook.com/eluamusic

www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

image.jpeg.ed0e0c8998b5085637041e6aec506149.jpeg

Edited by TheRabbit

I did this itinerary on the Star Princess in October. It was my favorite cruise to date, and I will go again in the future. As others have mentioned, the Patter is jam packed with activities. Since the cruise is longer, they can offer activities you don’t always have on the shorter 7 day cruises. Some of my favorites included Zumba, Line Dancing, cruise cult classics like Country Western Night, 70s Night, 50s Rock n Roll night, Love Boat Disco Deck Party, just to name a few. These are just a few examples - there is plenty to keep you busy!

• Like 1

We are doing Hawaii from the west coast for the third time in April.  We LOVE the experience.  On my bucket list is the 28-30 day RT itinerary that includes Papeete.  

We thoroughly enjoy the sea days.  Even though the first and last couple days are usually cool and dreary, we find plenty to do.  We both DO like to read and I'll usually bring 3 books on a longer cruise.  My husband also enjoys trivia, art auctions, veterans get-togethers.  We bring cards and sometimes games (Yahtzee is my favorite.)  We both enjoy the line dance and ballroom dance lessons (although we are both pathetic.)  I love to go to the spa $$$.  When weather cooperates, we enjoy a chaise and watching the ocean.  

But our favorite quiet afternoon activity is a nap.  

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

We did the Vancouver to Hawaii and return cruise on the Emerald last October.  I was a bit worried about 5 sea days in a row times two but it was great. 

We're up pretty early and would go to the buffet for coffee and then go later for breakfast.   Walking on the Promenade deck was our main form of exercise on board.  We did this maybe twice a day too - gotta work off those early morning pastries!  :0  In the afternoons, we'd often watch a movie in our cabin - my husband really liked that.  I belong to a book club so read the book I brought also.  After dinner, if there was a show we wanted to see we got to the theater maybe 30 minutes beforehand. 

Also, there were lectures by a retired professor from Hawaii about different topics.  I enjoyed attending those - my husband came along and kind of snoozed.  🙂  Lots of other entertainment going on in the piazza.  There was a Hawaiian ambassador couple.  The husband played the ukelele and his wife danced the hula in the piazza.  They also gave hula and ukelele lessons - i regret not going to the hula lessons.  And on port days, you will be busy. 

We are doing this cruise at the end of February. Friends of ours are concerned with the multiple sea days, but we WELCOME them! Port intensive cruises seem to go by SO fast, and we always seem so BUSY! So, hopefully, this cruise will not pass by as fast. We are not much for trivia games, bingo, etc., but the lei making class sounds great! Also, maybe some lectures. I always bring my Kindle and my husband has his Sudoku. MUTS is a great option too. Princess has a lot going on for their passengers.

• Like 1

We did the round trip Hawaii cruise from Los Angeles on the Star Princess.  There was plenty to keep us occupied - trivia, lei making, ukulele lessons, Hawaiian enrichment talks, and so forth, as already mentioned.  We also had late dining, and never had a problem finding a seat at the theater shows.  It was cool for the first couple of days, but you can still be active about the ship by walking the promenade or doing exercise classes (some are free, like Zumba).  We really enjoyed the cruise, and found it a nice mix of sea day relaxation and  busy ports stops. 

We have done TA and other cruises where there was a lot of sea

days and loved it.  Besides the activities already mentioned of which we portake, we love the unstructured days at sea.  We can stay up late in the musical venues and sleep late or decide to start the day early.  With no port calls to get ready for the day is ours to do what we please and so relaxing.  We will be on the Star later this year to HI and look forward to lazy days at sea.  

We were just on the Emerald to Hawaii January 3-18. In addition to the usual sea day activities like Zumba, trivia, dance classes, etc., Tiki Dave and Dr. Sharon Faff offered really interesting lectures about the islands and their history. Tiki Dave also offered Ukulele lessons and his wife Leiloha gave hula lessons. On the last sea day, there was a performance. There was also a passenger choir. All of these involve a series of events over the course of the sea days. The only time we had trouble getting seats in the theatre was when we arrived just a few minutes before the first production show. We left and came back for the late show and had no problem.