Gem Aft Balcony vs Penthouse Aft suite

I need a vaca

I am currently booked end of May in an Aft Balcony (10th floor). 

The upgrade bidding will be starting soon and I was wondering if it would be worth bidding on an Aft Penthouse suite?  I definitely want to stay in an Aft facing room and was curious on others thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

50 minutes ago, I need a vaca said:

The upgrade bidding will be starting soon and I was wondering if it would be worth bidding on an Aft Penthouse suite?  I definitely want to stay in an Aft facing room and was curious on others thoughts on this?

I put in an upgrade bid for my cruise in March on Pearl, and I did not have the option to bid only on an Aft Penthouse. I could (and did) bid on a Penthouse, but it was a combined category that included both Forward and Aft facing rooms. I don't know if this is always the case, but it was not something I had expected. I'm booked in an Aft Balcony in June and will NOT bid if it is a similar setup. But for this trip I am currently in a random Mini Suite (because it was weirdly cheaper than a balcony at the time...) so I would happily take either.

Edited by gymbomb

I think the perks outweigh the balcony size of deck 10 aft balconies.  I'd much rather have the perks if you can get the cabin at a reasonable price... 

The breakfast/lunch offerings in your suite passenger restaurant (Moderno) are fantastic and service is impeccable. 

Butler...  very nice perk. 

Concierge :  takes care of all your details with dining reservations/excursions, seating at shows, etc...

Embarkation/Disembarkation is much nicer in a suite.    

Not at all sure if the bidding allows you to guarantee AFT ...  so that might be a risk if you absolutely HAVE to be AFT.

I guess it would depend on how much of a discount on the price you can get the Penthouse...  If its not all that much more per person, then I'd take the Penthouse.

Edited by cliffd64
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, I need a vaca said:

"Worth bidding" is very subjective.  Only you can determine whether the additional money you would pay would make it "worth it" to you.   Assuming that you get the suite benefits if your bid is accepted (sorry, I don't know the rules), those are (to me) valuable, especially breakfast in Moderno or Cagney's or wherever they are doing it now (plus the other benefits mentioned in comments above).

BUT, as I understand it, you could be assigned to ANY of the Aft Penthouse suites, which could be on Deck 8 above Bliss. Personally, I would never book a cabin above (or under) such a potentially noisy space.  That's me.  Perhaps that would not matter to you.   (And it's why we never book Guaranty cabins. We pick our locations carefully.)

Enjoy whatever you decided!

• Like 1

Had an Aft Suite on the Gem last year (see link below).  I LOVED it!  Not sure who the concierge and butler are are on the GEM now, but they were both outstanding.  To me, there's a big difference between an Aft Penthouse Suite and just an Aft Balcony Cabin.

Some pics in my review, too.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

interested in the feedback as well....  I go a week after you and in 10668

I am just concerned giving up the march larger deck on 10 for suite benefits but smaller deck on 8

Was thinking same thing - but the room next door is penthouse suite with an even bigger deck :)

2 minutes ago, I need a vaca said:

Was thinking same thing - but the room next door is penthouse suite with an even bigger deck 🙂

Agreed but when you "bid" you do not have the luxury to choose and those "in the know" take 10 for the deck

22 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Had an Aft Suite on the Gem last year (see link below).  I LOVED it!  Not sure who the concierge and butler are are on the GEM now, but they were both outstanding.  To me, there's a big difference between an Aft Penthouse Suite and just an Aft Balcony Cabin.

Some pics in my review, too.

Hope that helps.

Awesome review !!   Thanks for the link.

My question is the depth of the deck.  In an earlier photo it looked like the lounger was pretty tight but then in post #50 it looked pretty deep.    Can you place the lounger with your back to the sliding door and your feet at the balcony perpendicular or do you have to angle the lounger?

Thanks

No Problem.....yeah....the Aft Penthouse Balcony is a good size.  You can fit the lounger reclined perpendicular to the water, but it's tight that way.  Better to angle it....which really wasn't such a big deal.  The balcony is bigger than it looks in my pictures.

I enjoyed it for breakfasts and nightcaps every day of the cruise.

• Like 1

You can't beat the balconies on deck 10 on the Jewel class ships. They are the deepest and yes the penthouses are even bigger than the two balcony cabins between them. I highly suspect that if you bid for a Penthouse upgrade that you will not be able to get one of the four on deck 10. However in the fall of 2020 they will be in a class by themselves so maybe you could bid an upgrade to that class :)

Edited by bonvoyagie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bonvoyagie said:

You can't beat the balconies on deck 10 on the Jewel class ships. They are the deepest and yes the penthouses are even bigger than the two balcony cabins between them. I highly suspect that if you bid for a Penthouse upgrade that you will be able to get one of the four on deck 10.

Based on what data?  As the most desirable of the aft Penthouses, they are the most likely to be booked up first and not available for bidding. Doesn’t mean a bidder won’t get lucky, but anyone bidding has to be totally comfortable getting an aft Penthouse on Deck 8. 

Last year we won a bid on the Gem for a forward facing Penthouse suite balcony.  Our deck was 114 sq. feet.  We had a butler and concierge service with it as well.  

I'd go for the Aft Penthouse balcony suite.

• Like 1

Don't bid on a suite, because if you upgrade to a suite, you'll be ruined for life and won't be able to cruise in a non-suite again.  :classic_biggrin:  It's like the Seinfeld episode "The Airport," when Jerry tells Elaine he has to take the one First Class seat that's available.  "You've never flown first class, you don't know what you're missing.  I can't go back.  I WON'T."

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Carnac767 said:

Don't bid on a suite, because if you upgrade to a suite, you'll be ruined for life and won't be able to cruise in a non-suite again.  :classic_biggrin:  It's like the Seinfeld episode "The Airport," when Jerry tells Elaine he has to take the one First Class seat that's available.  "You've never flown first class, you don't know what you're missing.  I can't go back.  I WON'T."

So very true we booked late last year and took a mini on the Dawn. Nice don't get me wrong but boy did we miss Cagney's for breakfast and lunch :(. Penthouse on deck ten in April will be nice we had this on the Gem out of NY the second time we sailed on this ship. First time was in the Haven got that out of my system so it was a once and done experience. But this to everybody should at least try once.