Different kind of rental car question

papa B me

We will be arriving on the POA in Maui three weeks from today.  We have a rental car for Maui and Kauai and have just about decided to rent one in Hilo as well.  We are traveling with another couple.  I'm thinking about getting off the ship alone each morning and taking the shuttle to get the rental cars then coming back and picking up everyone at the ship/port.  I'm thinking that with cell phones shouldn't be much of an issue meeting up.  The way I envision these ports is that they are nothing like the craziness of the Port of Miami or Port Canaveral so should be easy.  Has anyone done this or does anyone see any issues I should be aware of in doing this?

It is discussed here frequently that at the ports where shuttles to rental car operations are provided, that the car companies ask that only the driver go on the shuttle, so more people can get their cars sooner. Rather than jamming the shuttle with 4 people, all of which will get in just one car. 

I have actually never seen this discussed here and never even thought about it.  That's a good idea.  We will have six people and that's alot of people taking up space on a shuttle.   Be sure to let us know how it goes and I will be interested in hearing about the actual logistics of getting the cars as well.  I still can't visualize the process.  

1 hour ago, Beachiekeen said:

I have actually never seen this discussed here and never even thought about it.  That's a good idea.  We will have six people and that's alot of people taking up space on a shuttle.   Be sure to let us know how it goes and I will be interested in hearing about the actual logistics of getting the cars as well.  I still can't visualize the process.  

I'll post what my experience is with getting and returning the cars in my day to day account I'll post on the NCL board and on here as well.

I apologize to CruiserBruce if I asked a question that has been covered extensively.  I've been following the threads on rental cars for awhile and I somehow missed it being discussed.  But thank you for taking the time to reply.

Finished my last booking of tours today so good to go.  Leave for Hawaii two weeks from Wednesday.

We rented from Budget in Maui. Yes, the policy is only the driver gets to go on the shuttle, UNLESS there is room for others. We were a group of three, and all of us were able to get on the shuttle. Another option if you can't all get on the shuttle and you don't want to backtrack, is to take Uber/Lyft.

The other port where we rented a car was in Honolulu, and we took Lyft to the airport - was really a simple process.

4 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

The POA will be the only ship in the harbor, so no problem with that.  Send one person to pick up the car.  The rental offices at the airport are only three miles from the harbor , and you just drive your rental car back to the harbor to pick up the rest of your party.  The harbor is rather small and laid back - not crazy like some other ports.