Indoor "Sanctuary" on Star Princess

southerngoose

I don't want to sound antisocial, but I cruise to "get away".   I love sea days the most, so I chose a cruise with 60% sea days.  I like to spend approx 50% of the day doing the ship activities and entertainment, then 50% in my room, watching movies/tv, reading, knitting etc.    I used to do these activities on the mini sofa in my cheap interior room.   I clearly made an error when I assumed that Princess had the mini sofa (a key place where I enjoy my cruise).    I even have learned to let the room steward know...I'm neither sick nor am I "not enjoying myself"...I am indeed enjoying every moment when I'm in my room.   I need to recharge from being with people the other 50% of the day.   😞

If I wasn't going to Alaska, I could imagine myself booking time in the sanctuary every sea day.   But I really want to be indoors, except for glacier day and ports.  Is there an indoor version of a "sanctuary" where I can just go and be left alone (I don't need the serenity stewards, but that would be a bonus, along with a nice bathroom nearby)?    

Cruise people are super nice.   So much so that they try to "adopt me" because they also fear that I'm lonely and they hate to see me that way.   I'm not lonely!   I'm also not the ship's knitting instructor or someone who is unhappy.   I just want to be away from the noise and not be interrupted while I'm watching tv, reading or knitting.     Suggestions for where to go would be appreciated.   

There are lots of quite spots during the day. A good spot is skywalkers during the day. It will be closed. There may be a few folks reading etc. But I have never been disturbed there. Activities usually start around 4ish.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pathi said:

There are lots of quite spots during the day. A good spot is skywalkers during the day. It will be closed. There may be a few folks reading etc. But I have never been disturbed there. Activities usually start around 4ish.

Thanks...Does this area have a nice view?  Could the glacier be viewed from here?

On the Star, (Grand, Golden, Diamond, Sapphire, and CB) inside on the deck (15) above the covered Calypso pool is a (sort of) quiet deck area with padded loungers, it's called "The Conservatory".  Floor to ceiling and roof windows with a view.  If you see something, you can hop up and be out on the Sun deck railing.  Unless some kids are playing ping-pong - rarely - it's pretty calm. 

11 hours ago, southerngoose said:

Thanks...Does this area have a nice view?  Could the glacier be viewed from here?

On Glacier Bay day, Skywalkers turns into the ranger station.  I agree with everyone that it's normally a quiet place to be during the day, but it won't be on Glacier Bay day.  

4 hours ago, ckb104 said:

On Glacier Bay day, Skywalkers turns into the ranger station.  I agree with everyone that it's normally a quiet place to be during the day, but it won't be on Glacier Bay day.  

When you say "ranger station"...does this mean that you'll get commentary and discussion of the glacier?   or is this some sort of coordination area where there will be chaos, unrelated to seeing a glacier?   Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Gayl4b said:

Thread title states it's the Star

Thanks! I missed it. 

Skywalkers is great and so is the covered pool area. That is always where I read in Alaska. I wanted to make sure we were not talking about Royal Princess.

Edited by Coral

5 hours ago, southerngoose said:

When you say "ranger station"...does this mean that you'll get commentary and discussion of the glacier?   or is this some sort of coordination area where there will be chaos, unrelated to seeing a glacier?   Thanks!

There was a great talk/discussion at the beginning.  I was shocked that so few people showed up.  They also set up a little store and they are available to answer questions throughout the day.  One of the rangers gives commentary from the bridge, too.  

5 minutes ago, ckb104 said:

There was a great talk/discussion at the beginning.  I was shocked that so few people showed up.  They also set up a little store and they are available to answer questions throughout the day.  One of the rangers gives commentary from the bridge, too.  

And if you have a National Parks Passport book you can get it stamped, too. 

Edited by idahospud
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 8:02 AM, southerngoose said:

You will get awesome commentary and learn a lot about the glaciers

On 2/3/2019 at 8:31 PM, Ferd Berfle said:

On the Star, (Grand, Golden, Diamond, Sapphire, and CB) inside on the deck (15) above the covered Calypso pool is a (sort of) quiet deck area with padded loungers, it's called "The Conservatory".  Floor to ceiling and roof windows with a view.  If you see something, you can hop up and be out on the Sun deck railing.  Unless some kids are playing ping-pong - rarely - it's pretty calm. 

We often avail ourselves of this area to sit and read quietly. It has quick access to drinks and food, is hardly used at all, and is usually quite peaceful. We have often found Skywalker's to be too darn cold during the day.

• Like 1