Going on Cruise Using a Cane

Sean401

I am going on a cruise on the 10th with HAL out of Port Everglades. My arthritis has been bad this year and for the past while I have been walking with my cane a lot.

Any tips on getting through the embarkation process? It hurts me to stand for too long and I am wobbly on my feet sometimes. 

just request a wheelchair  at the terminal.   you may get it before Security, or after, but it will help.  then you request  it for boarding.  in the meantime you are seated in a section with all others needing WC assistance or already on ECVs.   boarding will be FCFS as there are a limited number of chairs and personnel to push you.  

• Like 1

Another vote for the wheelchair assistance at embarking and disembarking.   Let HAL know you will need assistance ahead of time if you can. 

Have you ever considered a rollator with a seat?   You can even attach your cane to a rollator (with a cane attachment) so you could easily also have your cane.   At least with a rollator if you have to stand in line and get tired, you can sit on the seat.   I have attached a pic of the one my husband has.    Very, very handy!

rollator with seat.jpg

I'm another who says be sure to request wheelchair assistance. It has been a lifesaver for me! 

I have used a traditional cane on previous cruises. I've also rented and ECV. Since my cabin mate on my next cruise will be using her Power Chair, I am seriously considering using a rollator this time. I probably really need an ECV, but I fear we won't have room for 2 in our cabin, even though the power chairs take up less space. The rollator may be a good compromise. We don't cruise until January, so I will wait a bit and see how my knees are doing over the next few months.