Sloths and beach

richbum

HI there...We are going to be at Mohogany Bay from 10-6. I was wondering if I would have time to do both the sloths (Daniel Johnson) and also go hang out at the beach for a while. I know you have to take a chair lift over to the beach...but how far is each from the port?  Thanks in advance...

Daniel's Sloths are about 4-5 kilometers away, up toward French Harbor.  People usually do this via an excursion with Victor Bodden or Rony's Tours.  Not sure if non-excursioners are permitted.  But you should ask on his FB page.

The beach at Mahogany Bay is a short 5 minute walk or 3 minute chair ride from the pier. Chair ride is overrated IMO and the prices have gone up a lot.

32 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Daniel's Sloths are about 4-5 kilometers away, up toward French Harbor.  People usually do this via an excursion with Victor Bodden or Rony's Tours.  Not sure if non-excursioners are permitted.  But you should ask on his FB page.

The beach at Mahogany Bay is a short 5 minute walk or 3 minute chair ride from the pier. Chair ride is overrated IMO and the prices have gone up a lot.

Thank you!!! I will see if there is a short enough tour so that we can hang out at the beach as well...I'm all for walking, and I am sure I will need it...just thought pictures from above would be cool...Thanks for your help!!!

4 minutes ago, richbum said:

Thank you!!! I will see if there is a short enough tour so that we can hang out at the beach as well...I'm all for walking, and I am sure I will need it...just thought pictures from above would be cool...Thanks for your help!!!

It may be worthwhile to contact Daniels place where the sloths are, they may be willing to zip up to Mahogany Bay to collect you and take you back so you still have time for the beach. I have absolutely no idea what they charged but it's always worth asking. 

14 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Daniel Johnson's is $30PP for transportation and entrance to the sloths/monkeys. You can book this directly on his website. The tour is listed as 1.5-2 hours in total including the ride to/from the port.

Thank you!! 

3 hours ago, richbum said:

Thank you for all of the info...and the video....It seems like it might be faster to walk to the beach....I guess I'll decide when I get there....Thank you all very much!

I believe many people have said it is faster to walk to the beach depending on one's mobility. 

Enjoy the island!! 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, richbum said:

Thank you for all of the info...and the video....It seems like it might be faster to walk to the beach....I guess I'll decide when I get there....Thank you all very much!

LOL! From the video, that was my wife below. She dropped us off at the lift, walked all the way to the beach, and had to come back to yell at us to drop her keycard to her because they wouldn't let her on the beach without it. 

So yes, much quicker to walk. :classic_laugh:

33 minutes ago, Ralphinsc said:

LOL! From the video, that was my wife below. She dropped us off at the lift, walked all the way to the beach, and had to come back to yell at us to drop her keycard to her because they wouldn't let her on the beach without it. 

So yes, much quicker to walk. :classic_laugh:

Haha!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

One of Daniel's tours on his website goes to a beach club after the sloths and island tour.  We just booked with him for November and asked to do the sloths and island tour but skip the beach.  It is only $40 and the sloth only tour is $30 so it is a good deal.  You might want to check it out as it is supposed to be a good beach.  We will be having lots of beach time on that cruise so aren't interested in another beach day.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Mahogany Bay last week.  Booked the Fun n Sun tour with Bodden Tours.  It was $30 per person.  First stop was to see their monkeys and sloths.  This was a lot of fun.

From there we went to West Bay beach (Bananarama).  There was another family of 6 along with my husband and myself in the van for this tour.  We got to decide how long we wanted to stay at the beach.  Since we got to the beach by 10 am, we opted to stay for only 4 hours.  Would definitely do this tour again.  These pictures were taken last week Wednesday.

We were in Mahogany Bay 2 years ago for the first time.  The walk to their beach is a very long walk.  I was exhausted by the time we got there.  The beach was crammed full of beach chairs and clam shell covers that had all been completely rented out way before we got there.  We sat down on the beach for about 30 minutes, then left.  I'm too old to sit on the beach without a lounge chair.  Did not enjoy that beach at all.

Very happy with Bodden Tours last week.

20190313_133638.jpg

20190313_133651.jpg

20190313_133655.jpg

• Thanks 1