When to go to Egypt?

franski

Hi - Am thinking of going to Egypt....  Any suggestions on when it is best to go?  Any dates that should be avoided?

What would temperatures be in January/February/March?  

Thanks so much for any insights offered....

Fran

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest signing up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts. I just got this one this afternoon:

Exercise increased caution in Egypt due to terrorism. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

• The Sinai Peninsula (with the exception of travel to Sharm El-Sheikh by air) due to terrorism.
  • The Western Desert due to terrorism.
  • Egyptian border areas due to military zones.

Terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Egypt. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Terrorists have conducted attacks in urban areas, including in Cairo, despite the heavy security presence. Terrorists have targeted religious sites, to include mosques, churches, monasteries, and buses traveling to these locations.

Due to risks to civil aviation operating within or in the vicinity of Egypt, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and/or a Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR). For more information U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration's Prohibitions, Restrictions and Notices.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Egypt:

• Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Obtain comprehensive medical insurance that includes medical evacuation.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Egypt.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.

Sinai Peninsula

The Sinai Peninsula remains a particularly dangerous area, with frequent attacks on security forces and civilians.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens anywhere in the Sinai Peninsula as U.S. government employees are not authorized to travel to these areas (with the exception of the beach resort of Sharm El-Sheikh; travel to Sharm El-Sheikh is only permitted by air).

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Last Update: Reissued after periodic review with minor edits.

We were in Egypt last January and the temperatures were in the 60's. I almost always wore a sweater (female), but then I am often colder than most folks. The only day I was down to a t-shirt during the day was sailing on the southern part of the Nile. We did enroll in the STEP program and the advisory we received was similar to the one posted above. The usual tourist areas are generally safe, although several Vietnamese tourist were recently killed by a roadside bomb in Giza. Security is high. We took an optional tour to Coptic Cairo on our last day and felt safe despite recent attacks on Coptic Christians. During the ten days we were in Egypt two people were murdered in the small city where we live in the midwestern US. It all depends on your own feelings towards safety.

I have heard that November-March is the best time to go.  We just booked a trip to Egypt in January. I prefer to tour in cooler weather. 

As far as the above post by bubbulz...the State department has a four level rating system to provide advice on traveling to every country.  Egypt is at a level 2 which means travelers should use extra caution.  Other countries at level 2 are Belgium, Antarctica, Belize, Denmark, France, Cuba, Germany and so on. I'm sure if the situation in Egypt changes, the tour companies will make adjustments.  Everyone who reported back from their recent Egypt trips felt safe.

We went at the end of October into the first 10 days of November and it was warm in the early morning and continued to get very hot as the morning wore on.  We did early morning tours and back to the ship for lunch and the afternoon and then another tour later in the afternoon or evening.  I usually dont wear a hat but was so glad I took the advice of someone that had been, and brought one and wore it all the time.  It is a wonderful trip!!!!!

We were there in January, 2018 and had perfect weather. Sunny in the high 70's, low 80's during the day and in the 60's at night. We were told the January is best for weather but it is also the lowest river level. The low water level had no impact on our cruise.

We are here right now on the River TOSCA.

arrived in Cairo on 2/2 after the pre trip on Jordon.

it was cooler in Jordon, although Petra was warm and comfortable..

it’s not shorts weather here on the Nile but you don’t need a jacket.

It has been perfect weather for touring,

We just docked in Aswan and spent the morning  on the top deck enjoying the sun.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:16 PM, franski said:

Thanks, everyone - seems as if early in the year is good.  I am not a fan of heat - so was wondering if there would be a time that would work for me.  Fran

Glad you are moving ahead with your Egypt "adventure".  As detailed below in my live/blog, we were in Luxor in late November 2018.  Two days there.  Worked super well.  So much to enjoy and experience in Egypt.  Great weather.  Warm and sunny, but not too hot.  Plus, the history, culture and architecture are so super amazing. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For our latest live/blog, see “Greece, Holy Lands, Egypt, Dubai, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, cormike1 said:

We went at the end of October into the first 10 days of November and it was warm in the early morning and continued to get very hot as the morning wore on.  We did early morning tours and back to the ship for lunch and the afternoon and then another tour later in the afternoon or evening.  I usually dont wear a hat but was so glad I took the advice of someone that had been, and brought one and wore it all the time.  It is a wonderful trip!!!!!

Hi - Can you be a bit more specific about "very hot as the morning went on"?  Am looking at late Feb/March 2020 - but may book later in the year as final payment would be a bit further off...(still have our Hurtigruten cruise to pay for this year....)

Thanks so much.

Fran

We went second week in January (first week without New Year’s Day in the week. We found there were no crowds at the temples. Also temple excursions start a bit later as it takes more time for the desert to warm up and the sun to rise. We had full attention and great service from the staff (bar/restaurant)as the river boat was hardly full.

Those are the elements to consider not just the heat.

One downside, more peddlers will shove stuffed camels in your face for a sale as there are fewer tourists to sell to. Remember, Egypt has had tourism since before the Christian Era started.

Edited by JohnKen4

On 2/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, SMNYCruise said:

As far as the above post by bubbulz...the State department has a four level rating system to provide advice on traveling to every country.  Egypt is at a level 2 which means travelers should use extra caution.  Other countries at level 2 are Belgium, Antarctica, Belize, Denmark, France, Cuba, Germany and so on. I'm sure if the situation in Egypt changes, the tour companies will make adjustments.  Everyone who reported back from their recent Egypt trips felt safe.

Many people are unaware of current events in other countries and blissfully blind to risk levels. The information I posted was for them so they can make an informed choice regarding their travel plans. For my part, I'm glad to have visited Egypt at a time when It was much safer for tourists, and I was able to visit the Egyptian Museum and many sites that were a bit off the beaten path. That said, doing a river cruise is probably a generally safer means of travel than the trip I took.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:40 PM, franski said:

Hi - Can you be a bit more specific about "very hot as the morning went on"?  Am looking at late Feb/March 2020 - but may book later in the year as final payment would be a bit further off...(still have our Hurtigruten cruise to pay for this year....)

Thanks so much.

Fran

Sorry for not answering right away....was away on vacation.  It was usually nice when we first got up...maybe 70F and after breakfast we usually left to go tour something.  By the time noon came around it was usually up around 95F.  We would go back to the ship around 1:00 p.m. and have lunch and the afternoon was spent many times sailing.  They we would dock and do a late afternoon, early evening tour.  This way we avoided the really bad heat of the day.  I hope this helps.  I never wear a hat but was glad I listened to people on CC and brought one.  I wore it every day and the one time I forgot, I just about died from the heat on my head.  Do bring one lol.

Edited by cormike1
added a line

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the advice...  We have booked for mid-January 2020.  We will have 7 nights on the Nile - followed by 3 days in Cairo.  We then go to Israel for 4 days - before heading to Jordan for 7 days.   We are VERY excited to be doing this trip...

Fran