Oceania Newbie worried about new menus

barbels

I booked a Nautica cruise in May for the itinerary but my secondary reason was to try "the best food at sea".  Now I read that as of last summer the menus changed.  So Oceania veterans-is it still the best food at sea or do I have to adjust my expectations?

Barbara

food  is  subjective

not sure of your idea of BEST food  is

They still use quality ingredients  but sometimes  the cooks  can mess up any dish  JMO

I would lower your expectations   then if you like the food  you will be pleasantly surprised  & not disappointed :classic_biggrin:

just go & enjoy

• Like 1

We’ve experienced the new menus and there was no deterioration of food quality.  Items did repeat a little more often than the previous 14 day rotation and certain soups, appetizers were on the menus most every day.

Oceania food is still the best we’ve experienced.  But don’t expect perfection.  Don’t spend every meal comparing food to previous ships you have sailed. 

2 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

We’ve experienced the new menus and there was no deterioration of food quality.  Items did repeat a little more often than the previous 14 day rotation and certain soups, appetizers were on the menus most every day.

Oceania food is still the best we’ve experienced.  But don’t expect perfection.  Don’t spend every meal comparing food to previous ships you have sailed. 

3 hours ago, barbels said:

I booked a Nautica cruise in May for the itinerary but my secondary reason was to try "the best food at sea".  Now I read that as of last summer the menus changed.  So Oceania veterans-is it still the best food at sea or do I have to adjust my expectations?

Barbara

Cruised twice on O since the "new" menus earlier this year (Insignia and Sirena). Will leave again on Sirena in a few days. Food is as good as ever - best you'll see on any cruise ship..

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Hello, barbels. We have sailed on both R and O ships, last on Insignia for a Panama Canal trip. The food was fine. If you chose this cruise because you want to go where it's going, and your accommodation suits you, relax and have fun. Both classes of vessel have plenty of pleasing menu choices. 

Mary

Thanks for your quick replies.  I will take take most of your sound advice, stop worrying and adjust my expectations.  I am looking forward to an exciting cruise with pleasent companions.  Great food will be the icing on my cake.

Barbels, My last cruise was on Riviera last May.  I was one to objected to the new menus -- but for one thing these only affect the GDR.  The specialty menus are pretty much static and have been the same for many years.  There are occasional changes there, but they have been minor.  We just saw more repetition is all.

My objection to the "improvement" was that I noticed fewer choices.  But that didn't affect the food itself.  We still love Oceania's food.  We like to have breakfast in the GDR on non-tour days, in our room on tour days.  A couple of years ago we took a downsell to a "B" category room which meant on tour days we had breakfast in Terrace.  I had remembered that experience as a "zoo" in the past but it didn't bother us on this cruise (which was on Nautica).

I don't think you'll be unhappy with the food on your cruise!  Yes, every cook has an occasional disappointment.  I myself (who seems to be considered "gourmet cook" by my friends although I'd never refer to me as such) served a "bride's" dinner recently.  It was edible, just not up to my usual standard!

Mura