Undecided about nassau/therapy

beautifullady

Morning all. Sailing solo on march 3rd-10th florida/bahamas. Planning on staying on ship in nassau. I been to nassau 5years ago and was disappointed, however, I was thinking of MAYBE doing a tour of the island.  Need opinions ideas thoughts on where to go and a tour guide. This trip is a self therapy/vaca but want to enjoy as well. The sound of the ocean and beautiful water is very therapeutic so any ideas are appreciated.

Edited by beautifullady
Wasn't finished

We originally planned to stay on the ship and enjoy its amenities without such a crowd on our Nassau day last year. But when GSC was cancelled, we decided to go to Blue Lagoon for a beach day. There are animal encounter and Segway options at Blue Lagoon, but we just did the beach pass that comes with a lunch. The ferry ride over (approx 45 minutes) and back was nice. It was crowded at the entrance, but we kept walking and found a nice quieter patch of beach. Blue Lagoon was very clean and had some nice paths to walk over and see the other beach (which was closed off due to rough water). Beach BBQ lunch was okay. When you return, you walk a few feet to the Customs Line so that was pretty convienent too. Enjoy your vacay whatever you choose!  

There are beautiful beaches there, we’ve purchased day passes at Atlantis and RIU on cabbage beach, and Melia passes at Cable beach, there are excursions to Blue Lagoon, plus many other private islands, snorkeling excursions, private tours that drive you around... Look at the Bahamas section on CC, trip advisor and yelp. Sure, you can stay on the ship and pretend there is nothing fun to do at this stop, or do a little research and narrow down all of your choices.

Atlantis is beautiful but expensive. The next time we are in Nassau we are planning on getting day passes to the British Colonial Hilton which is within walking distance of the ship and has a nice beach and amenities. It is very low cost compared to Atlantis and does not require cab rides.

16 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Atlantis is beautiful but expensive. The next time we are in Nassau we are planning on getting day passes to the British Colonial Hilton which is within walking distance of the ship and has a nice beach and amenities. It is very low cost compared to Atlantis and does not require cab rides.

The Hilton is ok, but if you want a beautiful beach, take the cab or bus ride.

Love how not one person recommended a tour or tour guide.  Anyways.  Cheryl's Bahamas Taxi and Tours.  They are AWESOME.  And I highly recommend the tour.  Add in the Fish Fry and Ardastra Gardens (zoo) on your trip.  It's not terribly expensive, they meet you in uniform, AC van, and take you everywhere around the island.  Nassau is pretty amazing with lots to see and a tour is a great way to do it since the island is big.  The port area sucks, so do a tour and get out of there.

13 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Love how not one person recommended a tour or tour guide.  Anyways.  Cheryl's Bahamas Taxi and Tours.  They are AWESOME.  And I highly recommend the tour.  Add in the Fish Fry and Ardastra Gardens (zoo) on your trip.  It's not terribly expensive, they meet you in uniform, AC van, and take you everywhere around the island.  Nassau is pretty amazing with lots to see and a tour is a great way to do it since the island is big.  The port area sucks, so do a tour and get out of there.

I never used this company, but heard nothing but good things.

I took one of my all-time favorite tours in Nassau.  It was from Bahamas Outdoors. They take you completely around the island.  You get to see the real parks and neighborhoods that are on display with nature and you'll get the opportunity for many wildlife sightings. Check them out online for more information.

Depending upon your budget,  you might try looking into "Resorts for a Day". They offer a day pass to the Hilton, which is just a short walk from the pier. We always go there when we dock in Nassau. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful, and you can't beat sitting on directly on the beach and enjoying the water.

I don't know if you drink alcohol, but Islandz Tours offers a rum-tasting tour that lasts about 2 - 2.5 hours and departs from Pirate Republic Brewing Company, which is about a 5 minute walk from the port. The guide, Julio, was great and had lots of suggestions about things to check out after the tour. You get two full-size rum cocktails with the tour, as well as some rum tastings (and snacks like conch fritters to help soak up all the alcohol!). We had a really great group of maybe 10 people or so. It's a nice mix of the rum distilling process as well as the pirate/bootlegger history of Nassau. Not sure how long you'll be in Nassau but it's something fun and a bit different to check out. If it weren't for that tour, we probably wouldn't have left the ship either.