upper pullman

bridetobe53108

We are getting our first balcony room since were taking the kids on their first cruise.  Many of the rooms available have an upper Pullman.  We won't use this and have never had a room with this....if we leave it folded up, will it be in the way at all?  Should I try for a room without one, or does it make no difference? 

We have used them with our daughter from age 6 and up with no issues.  There is a small rail on the side. 

Before that, we did the rollaway beds on the floor.

To answer your space question, it folds into a section of the wall and is flat when closed and locked.  No issue whatsoever.

3 hours ago, bridetobe53108 said:

We are getting our first balcony room since were taking the kids on their first cruise.  Many of the rooms available have an upper Pullman.  We won't use this and have never had a room with this....if we leave it folded up, will it be in the way at all?  Should I try for a room without one, or does it make no difference? 

If you do not use the upper berth where are the kids going to sleep?

The Sofa "bed" is barely adequate in size for one, and the upper berth is far less intrusive when folded down than the couch is made up into a bed.

We had a Pullman for our cruise and my then, 11 year old used. So much easier to have him sleep on that and have the sofa free so we could sit down etc while he was in bed. There was a railing on the side to not fall out.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, K&RCurt said:

If you do not use the upper berth where are the kids going to sleep?

The Sofa "bed" is barely adequate in size for one, and the upper berth is far less intrusive when folded down than the couch is made up into a bed.

Our children are a little. Typically in hotels one of them sleeps in each bed with one of us with them. We planned to do the same on the ship. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:47 PM, Saint Greg said:

Depends on where it’s located....whacked my head on this a few times.

d60c4bac7f3d36f1e512f2be96aa585c.jpg

That was my concern. If we do not need the Pullman, I would rather try to get a room without one then.

So, that opens up and the child's bed would actually be above the other bed??

• Like 1

It pretty much makes it impossible to stretch out on the bed to read or watch TV even when the Pullman is in it''s box.  My DH hit his head a couple of times getting up in the night to go to the bathroom.

How old are your kids?  When the bed is separated into twins they're not very wide if you're sleeping more than 1 person in them.

26 minutes ago, canes20 said:

Once they are down, they do not stay down. The steward will put it down at night and up in the morning. You can also do it yourself.

It must depend on the steward or ship. On one of our cruises (interior room with 2 Pullman and two twins shoved together) they were stowed during the day. On another cruise (balcony rooms so one Pullman and one couch along with two twins shoved together) they were left down. I would imagine if we had asked our steward to put them up during the day he would've but it really didn't bother us and I didn't want to make more work for him.

Wow, I would not like that placement.  The cabins we have had in the past with upper berths have been on the ceiling, both on Carnival and HAL.  The one pictured would be a real head-knocker even when stowed!

20 hours ago, canes20 said:

Once they are down, they do not stay down. The steward will put it down at night and up in the morning. You can also do it yourself.

Many people on here have said the exact opposite.  Once down they stayed down.  And don't you need a tool to lock them in the closed position?

21 hours ago, bridetobe53108 said:

Our children are a little. Typically in hotels one of them sleeps in each bed with one of us with them. We planned to do the same on the ship. 

You may wish to rethink this.  The beds are not two queens as you would have in a hotel; rather, they are two twins.  Even though your children are little (4&6, I think you said on a different post), you are going to find this to be extremely cramped.

22 hours ago, bridetobe53108 said:

That was my concern. If we do not need the Pullman, I would rather try to get a room without one then.

So, that opens up and the child's bed would actually be above the other bed??

This is an ocean view room.  The upper is above the couch in a balcony room.  My kids love it and fight over it.  But if you leave it closed you will never know it's there.  It looks like this in a balcony cabin.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 5:01 AM, RWolver672 said:

From what I've read on here, once they put them down, they stay that way all through the cruise.

Typically, yes.  They don't bother to put them away, but, if you ask, they will.

We started cruising on lines that automatically put the bed away every day (which frankly if you ask me is how it should be).  Dh was not happy to say the least on our first CCL cruise when the steward left it out the first day-- and left the couch made as a bed.  We have been on 4 CCL cruises now and have asked for both to be put away daily.  2 of our stewards very happily obliged.   One steward pretended like he did not know what we were talking about.  Dh pushed back until he got it.  The last steward was a simply awful room steward.  We had a lot of issues with him and he overall did not respect our request.  We should have complained to GS about him but we are not complainers.  Looking back on it, I do regret not reporting him and if we have similar issues will complain next time.  

So be prepared for a variety of responses on the bed set up.  In our opinion, it is very difficult to enjoy your cabin if you leave the room set up as a permanent sleeping area for 4 people, and leaving it set up for sleeping permanently is not the standard on any other cruise line.

Edited by Cafedumonde

Thank you for the responses everyone. I am definitely going to reconsider the Pullman, because I think I was not thinking clearly and when we each share a bed with a child in hotel rooms they are bigger than a twin I believe. However, I will definitely be requesting to have it closed up each day, because four people in a cabin is going to be crampped as it is! 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:21 AM, bridetobe53108 said:

Or if one of y'all doesn't mind sleeping on the sofa, the kids can sleep in the bed with whoever's sharing the bed with them and the other person gets the sofa.

That's what we typically do...DH and DS share the bed and I sleep on the sofa and it's cool. 🙂

• Like 1