upper pullman

bridetobe53108

So we are a group of three average-sized adult women friends who just booked 7 days on Carnival Panorama.  Requested the main beds to be made up as twins...which is less in the way (we have a balcony room) -- the Pullman used as a bed, with the couch left as a couch, or the Pullman left closed and the couch made up?  

On 2/13/2019 at 1:02 PM, bridetobe53108 said:

Thank you for the responses everyone. I am definitely going to reconsider the Pullman, because I think I was not thinking clearly and when we each share a bed with a child in hotel rooms they are bigger than a twin I believe. However, I will definitely be requesting to have it closed up each day, because four people in a cabin is going to be crampped as it is! 

On one of our cruises with three adults and one child it was much less cramped to have it left down all the time. Our son could climb up there when we were in the room and get out of the way and the adults could sit on the couch and chair. We could also toss stuff up there such as bags with things we purchased in port to deal with later if we were in a rush. 

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you booked a cabin for three or four?  A cabin for three will only have the sofabed, no upper.  I would be surprised if they allowed a group of three to book a cabin for four.  EM

My son and his family received an up sell from an obstructed balcony cabin for 3 to an extended balcony cabin that sleeps 4. So Carnival put the 3 of them in a cabin for 4. That change was 8 months before the cruise. I was thrilled because now they will be four cabins away from us.

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Have you booked a cabin for three or four?  A cabin for three will only have the sofabed, no upper.  I would be surprised if they allowed a group of three to book a cabin for four.  EM

I'm just the newbie third person.  My friend booked the cabin and, looking at the key for the deck plans, it states that our room number has:  two twin beds [convert to king], single sofa bed and 1 upper Pullman.  There are three of us listed for the room at this time...  So till hoping that someone can tell me, if indeed this is the room type we are in, if the Pullman or sofabed is the less obstructive option.  Thanks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 1:29 PM, frogerina said:

I'm just the newbie third person.  My friend booked the cabin and, looking at the key for the deck plans, it states that our room number has:  two twin beds [convert to king], single sofa bed and 1 upper Pullman.  There are three of us listed for the room at this time...  So till hoping that someone can tell me, if indeed this is the room type we are in, if the Pullman or sofabed is the less obstructive option.  Thanks.  

In my (relatively newbie as well) opinion, I think the Pullman would be the less obstructive option.  Our very first cruise, we had an OV for 5, with 2 twins converted to a king, 2 upper pullmans, and trundle bed.  The trundle was the one that I wanted to kick the most because it just stayed there lol.  Both pullmans could be closed, although the placement of them did not really interfere with anything.  Granted, this is not a sofa bed but I think it would be comparable. We also did have 5 in the room.  With only 3, maybe the sofa bed would be better for ease of access?

Sorry for the low lighting, we were excited and kept forgetting to take pics, but this is a picture of the room with all the beds open.  I don't think I really helped, but maybe this pic will so you can visually see it?

20170408_204734.jpg

Edited by bmar808
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, frogerina said:

@bmar808 -- that is incredibly helpful!!  Friend #1 (who has booked the room) volunteered to use the upper Pullman as hers, so we can keep the couch available all the time.  Seeing the height, etc in your photo is great.  Appreciate your help!

No problem; glad I could help!!!!😊

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

is this what is like in an ocean view deluxe for four of us on breeze??

When we went on the Breeze, we ended up getting 2 balconies and my cousins got an OV.  I'm not sure if it was a deluxe though?  He was in 1338.

I liked the setup better on the Breeze because the Pullman is directly over the sofa bed and runs parallel.  Essentially, it is an unattached bunk bed, if that makes sense?

This is a snapshot from someone on the Magic, but it looks almost identical.  I assume it is because they are both Dream class?   Hope this helps?

Magic Deluxe OV.PNG

10 hours ago, frogerina said:

@bmar808 -- that is incredibly helpful!!  Friend #1 (who has booked the room) volunteered to use the upper Pullman as hers, so we can keep the couch available all the time.  Seeing the height, etc in your photo is great.  Appreciate your help!

After posting the above picture, I actually think that because you are on the Panorama, your room might be more like Breeze & Magic.  Mine was from Inspiration.

Below is pic from a Cove balconey on the Vista, which is the same class as Panorama.

This would work out so well for the 3 of you!!! 🤩

Vista Cove Balconey.PNG

Edited by bmar808
Spelling & grammar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bmar808 said:

After posting the above picture, I actually think that because you are on the Panorama, your room might be more like Breeze & Magic.  Mine was from Inspiration.

Below is pic from a Cove balconey on the Vista, which is the same class as Panorama.

Vista Cove Balconey.PNG

Boy howdy! If my mom & dad had taken me on a cruise with that setup and I got the berth, I would be in 7th Heaven! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, bmar808 said:

Vista Cove Balconey.PNG

Yes!  From looking at deck plans, this appears to be the setup...and this should work perfectly for the three of us!  So happy to get a visual.  Hurry, up, February!!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:06 PM, Essiesmom said:

It depends on the ship and when it sails.  DH and I have had cabins that accommodate 3 or 4 people 2 or 3 different times BUT we sail when schools are in session.

Edited by summersigh

We sailed on the Dream last November with 2 teens (just turned 13 & 15). One used the sofa bed (I can't remember if it was always made up as a bed or not), and the younger used the bunk, which was always down & made up (she kept stuff up there, like a special pillow and other personal belongings, so that is probably why it was kept down). We had a cove balcony so we spent a lot of time out there. Our teens spent some of their in-cabin time on their beds, so that helped leave space for any of us walking through at any given time.

Edited by AmeliaAtSea

On 2/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, RWolver672 said:

From what I've read on here, once they put them down, they stay that way all through the cruise.

That is not true at all.  Get service twice a day.  In the morning you room steward will put the bed(s) away and pull them back out in the evening.

34 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

That is not true at all.  Get service twice a day.  In the morning you room steward will put the bed(s) away and pull them back out in the evening.

I have seen pictures on here where they were down all day at the request of the passengers.  Especially if they have little kids that take naps during the day.  

On 2/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, amyh13 said:

This is an ocean view room.  The upper is above the couch in a balcony room.  My kids love it and fight over it.  But if you leave it closed you will never know it's there.  It looks like this in a balcony cabin.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is exactly how ours was on the Pride. It was never in the way at all. Worst case we took the ladder off and stored it inthe closet. The kids loved it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:43 AM, buckeyefrank said:

Read through all of the postings here.  Several have said they were left down during the day.  It depended on their cabin steward.

This is a great thread for those that are new to cruising and are in a room with 3 or 4. When we started cruising, our family booked an inside stateroom and learned the hard way that pushing the bottom beds together was a good way to bonk your heads whenever we got up. After that, we always request the beds to be split into two twins now as they are positioned under each Pullman and create a nice space in the middle of the cabin. Some can’t sleep well without being next to their significant other, so just know it’s an option either way 🙂