Southern Itinerary - Aruba and Curacao - usually windy?

GeorgiaMomof4

Sailing at the end of next week and just checked the weather.  Looks like it's going to be very windy

for our days in Aruba and Curacao.  Is this normal and does this mean there is a chance we

might not be able to dock in those places?  Weather shows - 20 mph or so winds.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to dock considering this is an 8 day cruise and we already

only have 3 ports.  I know we can't control Mother Nature and I'm not going to go kicking and

screaming to Guest Services demanding compensation if we can't - just keeping my fingers

crossed that this is normal for those ports.

Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, GeorgiaMomof4 said:

Sailing at the end of next week and just checked the weather.  Looks like it's going to be very windy

for our days in Aruba and Curacao.  Is this normal and does this mean there is a chance we

might not be able to dock in those places?  Weather shows - 20 mph or so winds.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to dock considering this is an 8 day cruise and we already

only have 3 ports.  I know we can't control Mother Nature and I'm not going to go kicking and

screaming to Guest Services demanding compensation if we can't - just keeping my fingers

crossed that this is normal for those ports.

Thanks in advance!

It is always windy in Aruba and the past few weeks it has been more so than usual.  Just returned from 3 weeks in Aruba and all ships scheduled to dock there were able to dock with no issues.  Curacao should be no different.  ENJOY!!

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

We've been to Aruba MANY times and have always found it windy!

Always seems worse getting off the ship than once into town or at a beach ... still windy but less so.  

"Sand-blasted" has been used by some. "Hold your hat" is what I might add.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 3:52 PM, RW_MI said:

Just back from six ports including the ABC's. We had a ton of wind, but docked without issue everywhere, including Aruba and Curacao.  Enjoy your cruise!

I assume you were on Koningsdam as well? I came to say the same thing quite windy in most of the ports, but Captain and crew did a great job and got us docked without issue.  It was a wonderful cruise for our first time in the Caribbean!

3 hours ago, trophy_23 said:

I assume you were on Koningsdam as well? I came to say the same thing quite windy in most of the ports, but Captain and crew did a great job and got us docked without issue.

Yes, I was on the Koningsdam, and the crew really did do a great job.  I'm not sure if you heard the CD announce that, before we arrived in Grand Turk, the ship already there recommended we not attempt to dock.  I'm so glad the captain decided to go for it!

3 hours ago, RW_MI said:

Yes, I was on the Koningsdam, and the crew really did do a great job.  I'm not sure if you heard the CD announce that, before we arrived in Grand Turk, the ship already there recommended we not attempt to dock.  I'm so glad the captain decided to go for it!

Yes I did hear that.  I like Captain Bowland, we have had him on a few other trips.  It was such a wondeful trip, can’t wait for the next one already! I wish we were among the 330 that were staying on for the 11day following ours.