Vancouver to Alaska question

sailing sue

We've sailed out of Vancouver several times, and I think it is also in the 15 - 20 minutes range from Canada Place to Lions Gate Bridge.  Unless the weather is pouring rain most passengers are still on the top upper decks waving first to the folks at Canada Place watching the cruise ship departure, waving at the folks lined along the waterfront, watching the float planes take off and then waving to the folks on the harbor walkway along Stanley Park.  And then suddenly the ship is under the bridge.

We often go down to the Lighthouse which is right near the bridge, to view the ships and I would say it is more like 20 mins, maybe 25.  It takes the ship a while to move away from the dock and then back up, if it is docked bow in.  Then it seems to slowly move forward toward the bridge.  Like others, I would be up on the top deck from the time the ropes are taken off.  Vancouver is a beautiful port to sail out of, but then, i'm biased.

• Like 1

Have to concur with all the above - get yourself outside as soon as the ship starts moving and don't go back inside until you get bored. You will see the bridge as soon as your ship pulls out (or as soon as you board if you're on one of the higher decks that can see over the 'sails' or are docked on the West side). The bridge from the water is frankly among the least-attractive things you'll see on the way out - it looks best from the Stanley Park end, where you can see quadruple-lion action (the two statues that 'guard' the bridge plus the mountain peaks that they're named after). You'll sail right past Stanley Park, multiple marinas, plenty of other vessels from tiny recreational fishing boats to giant container ships, the other cruise ships will be just ahead or behind you unless it's a rare single-ship day, there are trees and hills and mountains all over the place... even the giant sulphur pile over on the north shore makes for an interesting sight, bright yellow to break up the local greenery and mostly-glass-or-concrete city buildings.