Log Out, Log In, Log Out

1 minute ago, whogo said:

Log Out, Log In, Log Out. I see it when I return to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/ after some time away as that page loads a second time. This is not the way web pages should load. I don't want to sound mean, but it is inelegant. I suggest you correct this. You are wasting electrons.

The two part log in process is apparently part of the way this new site was set up.  We had to log into Cruise Critic, and then log in again, if we want to participate in the Roll Call forum.

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The two part log in process is apparently part of the way this new site was set up.  We had to log into Cruise Critic, and then log in again, if we want to participate in the Roll Call forum.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you've written, but once I'm logged in, I don't need to log in again to read or post in the Roll Calls. 

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you've written, but once I'm logged in, I don't need to log in again to read or post in the Roll Calls. 

When I open Cruise Critic, the log in link says "Log In", then changes to "Log Out" (that logs me into Cruise Critic).  Then it goes to "Log In" again and my username shows up, followed by the "Log Out" link.  (that logs me into the Roll Call forum)

After the move to the new site, I could log into Cruise Critic, but was unable to post on the Roll Calls I'm involved with until I logged in again on the Roll Call forum.  I can't recall whether I could read but not post prior to the second log in,.

Now Cruise Critic recognizes me and logs me in twice - everytime.

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I do not need to log in, usually.

Log Out, Log In, Log Out are what is displayed at the top of the webpage at it goes through fits to load the page a couple of times. It is like website automatically logs me in (and gives me the opportunity to log out), then logs me out (and gives me an opportunity to log in), and then presents a stable webpage with me logged in (and gives me an opportunity to log out).

I assume that some staff member at Cruise Critic knows this is happening, might even consider it a defect worth fixing.

2 hours ago, whogo said:

Log Out, Log In, Log Out are what is displayed at the top of the webpage at it goes through fits to load the page a couple of times. It is like website automatically logs me in (and gives me the opportunity to log out), then logs me out (and gives me an opportunity to log in), and then presents a stable webpage with me logged in (and gives me an opportunity to log out).

I wonder whether the first time you see "Log Out", it's just your browser retrieving that version from the cache before you see the live page.

When I come to CC and the automatic login / "remember me" will work for me, I see a logged-out page that (obviously) says "Log In". After a couple of seconds, the page will refresh and log me in, and the link will say "Log Out".

It's the fact that you see "Log Out" first that's different, and not generally reported, that makes me wonder whether that's a local thing on your computer because of the cache.

At any rate, all of this only takes a few seconds, so it's hardly a problem.

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

When I come to CC and the automatic login / "remember me" will work for me, I see a logged-out page that (obviously) says "Log In". After a couple of seconds, the page will refresh and log me in, and the link will say "Log Out".

When things are working correctly, that’s what I see as well.  No need for a separate log in for the Roll Calls.  In fact, as Globaliser explains, the screen is set so the next toggle touch is “log out.”

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I wonder whether the first time you see "Log Out", it's just your browser retrieving that version from the cache before you see the live page.

Interesting, Globaliser, I hadn't considered the cache angle.

I checked seven other websites that automatically log me in and none of them loaded the page twice. Methinks Cruise Critic is not going to win any web design awards.

9 minutes ago, whogo said:

I checked seven other websites that automatically log me in and none of them loaded the page twice.

IIRC the early days of the current CC software, the auto-refresh has been built on to get the automatic log-in to work. ISTR that there were a lot of complaints from people who were used to being automatically logged in but who were getting the rather delphic message "You do not have permission to view this content" (typically when trying to access a bookmarked roll call thread) - to which a manual log-in was of course the simple answer, but not realised by those who were complaining.

Things a looking up.....

All day today (thus far), every time I've come back to CC, I'm already logged in.  No "Log In, Log Out, Log In, Log out" nonsense.

But it seems like it takes a little longer to get CC to open than before.  Not much, about 5-10 seconds.

Things a looking up.....

All day today (thus far), every time I've come back to CC, I'm already logged in.  No "Log In, Log Out, Log In, Log out" nonsense.

But it seems like it takes a little longer to get CC to open than before.  Not much, about 5-10 seconds.

The log in issues do appear to be solved. Both on my computer and on my mobile devices. On my mobile devices Tapatalk is still logged in since the CC fix yesterday morning. Yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk