Gift bag for stateroom attendant?

Newbie2006

Yes, I have offered sign-on bonuses for new employees as an incentive to join my organization. Sometimes additional PTO, but rarely. That's a bit different since those people are my employees rather than a third party providing a service. 

Here is an example of why I would give a cabin attendant a generous tip:

On a recent cruise we would put the "Please clean room" tag on the door while going to breakfast. When we returned 60-90 minutes later, the cabin had been cleaned. That happened every day. We didn't ask for anything special. She just did it. We gave her a generous tip the day before the end of the cruise. On other cruises, sometimes the room would be ready when we returned, sometimes not. No problem. That's "normal" service. They did their job but there was nothing special about cleaning the cabin, replenishing the towels and making the bed. I that case we don't tip. We're not fussy and never ever expect special treatment but when it happens, they should be rewarded accordingly.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Tip for exceptional performance. Don't tip persons who are just doing their job.

Tip at the beginning of a cruise? Do employers give raises because they hope the employee will do a good job? No way.

Keep the candy and cheap trinkets. They want money.

No, employers don't necessarily give raises at the beginning of employment - but sign on bonuses do occur.  But I don't think that the analogy of employer/employee is applicable to cruise ship staff/passenger. 

The better analogy is when someone walks into a restaurant and gives the maitre d' cash to secure a table, or get a better table.  Happens all the time in NYC and, I assume, other places. 

Other than that nit-picking, I'm in TOTAL agreement with your comments.

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Here is an example of why I would give a cabin attendant a generous tip:

On a recent cruise we would put the "Please clean room" tag on the door while going to breakfast. When we returned 60-90 minutes later, the cabin had been cleaned.

Are you sure that you are not thinking of Royal? Celebrity has 'Do Not Disturb' door hangers -- but I've never seen a 'please make up the room' sign. BTW -- I think this is one area where Royal does things better than X. While a good room steward will quickly learn the schedule of his passengers, having that magnet to put on the door takes all the guess-work out of the process.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wwcruisers said:

Are you sure that you are not thinking of Royal? Celebrity has 'Do Not Disturb' door hangers -- but I've never seen a 'please make up the room' sign. BTW -- I think this is one area where Royal does things better than X. While a good room steward will quickly learn the schedule of his passengers, having that magnet to put on the door takes all the guess-work out of the process.

We haven't been on Royal. It may be brain fade but I don't think so. :classic_blush:

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I have theories about HR theory, but those would take us off topic. I'll just say that I would like to be paid more vs. receive a pat on the head. 😉

As a hard working photographer i often get photo requests where the payment for the job is “great exposure for your work” I can’t pay my mortgage with exposure, besides I’m established enough now, not a beginner.

I’d prefer payment, I’m CERTAIN the staff on a cruise ship prefer cash tip to a gift.

To those who want to give a gift, you have a big heart, but the recipient would prefer cash which they can use as they see fit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Are you sure that you are not thinking of Royal? Celebrity has 'Do Not Disturb' door hangers -- but I've never seen a 'please make up the room' sign.

Last week on Equinox, our door hanger said, "Deep Sleep." 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

As a hard working photographer i often get photo requests where the payment for the job is “great exposure for your work” I can’t pay my mortgage with exposure, besides I’m established enough now, not a beginner.

I’d prefer payment, I’m CERTAIN the staff on a cruise ship prefer cash tip to a gift.

To those who want to give a gift, you have a big heart, but the recipient would prefer cash which they can use as they see fit.

Photographer and great exposure :classic_ohmy:😉 say nomore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Last week on Equinox, our door hanger said, "Deep Sleep." 🤔

That's what we had last month, on Infinity. However (as far as I know, X has never had the door-card (now they use magnets) system that RC has. One side indicates 'do not disturb', and the other requests for the room to be made. I wish X would adopt something similar -- especially now that there is only one room attendant per cabin. Your steward isn't necessarily where he/she can see you leave for breakfast or dinner -- so they can freshen-up your cabin.