Grandeur of the seas

Tk10

Hate Grandeur.  Do NOT sail on her.  You will not enjoy it.  GO AWAY.

Hmm, that would make more room for us. 😄

Have sailed on Grandeur 3 times.  Second cruise was SO BAD, we booked the same cruise for the next year, in the SAME CABIN. 😄

And are booked for April 2019 and July 2020 on her.  IN THE SAME CABIN. 😄

She is not a floating amusement park.  So more typical old school cruise ship.  But still lots of things to do.

Food is generally good.  I find the specialty restaurants to be be very good.  Entertainment is quite good.

The staff is FABULOUS.  They make the experience great.

As for cabin choice, go with what works for you.   I have a friend that cruises her a lot, always in an inside.  She has her places to go and hang out over the day, and is only in the cabin for shower and sleep.  We prefer a suite.  Bigger, fine to hang out in the room or on the balcony.  Plus some extra perks.

Some people prefer to go with the cheaper cabin and cruise more, we prefer the luxury and cruise less.  But not much less, we are more time limited in that regard.

We always stay in a JS.  We prefer the size and a tub so we're not dealing with the small shower.  As I said previously, it's not a ship with lots of different things to do like the newer, larger ships, but GR is a very beloved ship with a fabulous crew.   We're back onboard in 54 days!

Love Grandeur as well.  Not a lot of bells and whistles as some have stated.  But there is more than enough for me.  Guess I really like Grandeur.  Just looked up past cruises and my February trip will be #30 on this lovely ship.   Long live Lady G!  Katherine 

I got married on the Carnival Pride.  That was my best cruise ever, for obvious reasons.  But because it was such a special and unique cruise, I have pulled this cruise in comparison to all other cruises because of the uniqueness and inability to ever recreate such a cruise.

That being said, taking all of my other 19 cruises together, the best cruise that stands on top of this, was Grandeur.  It too was unique as it was a New Years Eve cruise, however, there was just something on that cruise that everything, crew, passengers, itinerary that came together and made this cruise top the rest.  I've been on Pride twice and Grandeur 4 times.

Both ships have good food.  They both have specialty restaurants.  They both have chef's table (which i recommend on either line).  Grandeur wins with itinerary.  Pride seems a bit stale with the Bahamas/Grand Turk run.  They  have a couple one offs that are longer than 7 nights and a couple to Bermuda, but that's it really.  Grandeur fluctuates between 5 night quick Bermuda runs to 12 night Caribbean runs as well as Canada.

Entertainment, I believe Carnival has better cruise directors so if you are looking for more of a active energetic cruise, Carnival edges out there.  Otherwise, both ships have similar amenities, though Carnival does have water slides (Green Thunder is pretty cool).  Both lines has quality shows, but Carnival edges out more if you're like live comedy shows.  They have a comedian pretty much every night. 

Bottom line, what do you want to do on vacation.  If you're more laid back, Grandeur is the better bet.  Do you want more exotic ports, Again, Grandeur.  If you're looking for a more upbeat atmosphere, Carnival beats out here.  Service, I feel Carnival is more consistently good, but Royal Caribbean has the potential for higher highs, but lower lows.

They are more alike than different, but it depends on what you want to do on your vacation and/or where you want to go.

2 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

I got married on the Carnival Pride.  That was my best cruise ever, for obvious reasons.  But because it was such a special and unique cruise, I have pulled this cruise in comparison to all other cruises because of the uniqueness and inability to ever recreate such a cruise.

That being said, taking all of my other 19 cruises together, the best cruise that stands on top of this, was Grandeur.  It too was unique as it was a New Years Eve cruise, however, there was just something on that cruise that everything, crew, passengers, itinerary that came together and made this cruise top the rest.  I've been on Pride twice and Grandeur 4 times.

Both ships have good food.  They both have specialty restaurants.  They both have chef's table (which i recommend on either line).  Grandeur wins with itinerary.  Pride seems a bit stale with the Bahamas/Grand Turk run.  They  have a couple one offs that are longer than 7 nights and a couple to Bermuda, but that's it really.  Grandeur fluctuates between 5 night quick Bermuda runs to 12 night Caribbean runs as well as Canada.

Entertainment, I believe Carnival has better cruise directors so if you are looking for more of a active energetic cruise, Carnival edges out there.  Otherwise, both ships have similar amenities, though Carnival does have water slides (Green Thunder is pretty cool).  Both lines has quality shows, but Carnival edges out more if you're like live comedy shows.  They have a comedian pretty much every night. 

Bottom line, what do you want to do on vacation.  If you're more laid back, Grandeur is the better bet.  Do you want more exotic ports, Again, Grandeur.  If you're looking for a more upbeat atmosphere, Carnival beats out here.  Service, I feel Carnival is more consistently good, but Royal Caribbean has the potential for higher highs, but lower lows.

They are more alike than different, but it depends on what you want to do on your vacation and/or where you want to go.

That’s the thing I am not sure exactly where I want to go part of me wants to hit some of the Bahamas but some ppl say that was least favorite other part of me kinda wants to see southern Carribean so I do not know. I know once you go to a place you know if you like it or not I just am trying to figure out somewhat so I do not get back and say man I disliked every port but I know till I experience it for myself I do not know. Also I am a more laidback person however I’m torn because once I’m on the ship idk if I will tend to be More laidback in aspect of just relaxing more and just going with the flow or would I rather be on a ship and there be a lot going on and to choose from idk. Haha one of my bad traits I’m indecisive.

Just now, Tk10 said:

That’s the thing I am not sure exactly where I want to go part of me wants to hit some of the Bahamas but some ppl say that was least favorite other part of me kinda wants to see southern Carribean so I do not know. I know once you go to a place you know if you like it or not I just am trying to figure out somewhat so I do not get back and say man I disliked every port but I know till I experience it for myself I do not know. Also I am a more laidback person however I’m torn because once I’m on the ship idk if I will tend to be More laidback in aspect of just relaxing more and just going with the flow or would I rather be on a ship and there be a lot going on and to choose from idk. Haha one of my bad traits I’m indecisive.

If you've never been to Bahamas before, than don't listen to those people.  I can say Bahamas is getting a little repetitive for me, but I've been there probably over 10 times.  The island truly isn't that big.  However, even the last time I made to to Bahamas last April, I still managed to find something new and fun.

None of the islands are "boring".  However, some are better than others.  I personally find Grand Cayman to be boring and sterile, however a lot of people will disagree with me.

That being said, YOU'VE never been, so if that's the case, it doesn't matter because it will be new to you.  There will be beaches that you probably won't get near home (not sure where home is for you).   Just taking a tour of the island because you've never been is pretty cool.  The problem with Baltimore is that with a 7 night itinerary, you are very limited on where you can go.  That's why Grandeur is awesome because she will deviate and go 9, 10, 12 nights to reach some better spots than Nassau and/or Freeport.  But those ports are not bad, especially if you've never been. 

And the 7 nights stop in Port Canaveral.  Many people consider this a throw away port because nothing is close to the port really.  However, if you rent a car, and its the States, nothing stopping you if you have a driver's license, but if you rent a car, a huge host of activities become available to you BESIDES the obvious theme parks (which i don't recommend for a port day anyways).  '

You just have to ask yourself "What do you want to do"  Do you thrive on an upbeat environment.  Do you want to be left alone?  Do you want to be pampered?  Do you want to eat?  Do you want to hang out at the pool.  You can do both on either ships, but each cruise line prioritizes something slightly different.  You can have a party cruise on Royal Caribbean.  You can find quiet time on Carnival.  But its better if you go on a line that goes in line with your idea of a good time.  There's no wrong way to cruise, but going on a cruise that is more in line with your interest can turn a good cruise into an amazing cruise.

• Like 1

Echoing Rougeperson - each cruise is unique and different. We are all unique individuals and see things in different ways - like Rougeperson I've been to the Bahamas too many times to count, but it's a stop on the way to somewhere else (usually 😉).

We started cruising in 2005 and have been on 14 or 15 now and have another one coming up.  Baltimore is a great port to start with because it is so easy to get to and sail from, but after a while if you enjoy cruising you will branch out (we've gone as far as Puerto Rico to board).  Even if you go to the same port multiple times you'll never see it all in one 6 to 8 hour stop so there will always be something new to find.  We always try to find a local guide to take us to places the cruise ship excursions don't go - off the beaten path so to speak.

Go and enjoy your first cruise - you will remember it forever:classic_smile:

I have been to the Bahamas 4 times.  Once as a Senior Class trip, once for work, and twice on Grandeur.  It is not my favorite port, but I have found things to go every time and enjoy it.

Go, enjoy, and see it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I love the Grandeur and have on her several times!  My only issue is that sometimes it has had issues with engines, etc. and we have missed the last port of call.  RCCL DID return money to compensate for the missed port.  The crew is fabulous!  We drive from MI to the Baltimore port.