Civi-Rome Pinned (sticky) Thread Experiment

Host Bonjour

Buona sera tutti, 

Or buon giorno if you read this during the day. 

As the thread title suggests, there’s a thread pinned up dedicated to the forthcoming updates in the Civitavecchia-Rome train route starting April 2019. One of our members started the thread and I thought by utilizing the new pinning feature for this topic might be a worthwhile use of the feature.

Why this topic?

The Civi-Rome train transit question is a frequent topic on the boards. I know not everyone chooses to travel to Rome by train so the thread won’t help everyone. But on many other boards there are theme topics that tend to do well....we have two on here that are specific for excursions. The aggregate of collected ideas, recommendations, experiences from you seems like something that <<might>> be helpful to someone looking for a quick resolution to the transpo question so they can move on to the more pressing matters like hotel and sightseeing chpices that require much more insight. 

What difference would it make?

It would help all topics were seen quicker. Anytime I tried to merge Civi train threads I noticed immediately how many other topics about <<everything else>> fell into my view of the board immediately after the merge. I couldn’t keep constantly merging because especially on some days in high season there were simply too many threads. So I’m interested in seeimg your posts about actually being IN Rome get seen:  hotel questions, mobility issues, dining questions etc. and obviously everything else everywhere in Bella Italia. 

Do you think the pinned thread is a good idea? I put two older pinned thread in “storage” to make some room up there and I know it’s not reflexive or automatic to look up top but it’s not a big leap. 

Are there any other similar topics you think might also be helpful if they were a focused, pinned thread or just....NO, not good, don’t want it, etc etc!

I’m listening......but please keep in mind, I love Italy as much as you all do and....and I work for free, lol. 

And as it’s ♥️ Valentines Day plus I always like to share a good Italian tv or movie when I see one. The last two nights I watched Luisa Spagnoli, a two part movie. She started up Perugina Chocolates - they created Baci (kisses, in Italian) - on her own when women didn’t even work, let alone start a business....in Italy or anywhere. Worth watching even just for the glorious setting (Perugia) or the chocolates, but it was actually well done. 

Grazie mille, thank you for everyone for maintaining such an incredible atmosphere here in this  community, it’s wonderful. 

• Like 1

What time would be safe to leave Rome if your ship leaves at 8:00? Any suggestions the best way to travel around Rome while we are there should we take the train. Looking at tours and love the cost savings with the train but not sure if we will spend more time and money getting around. We are also assuming it will be very hot so some walking by likely not all day. Interested in more the colosseum,fountain,Parthenon and would like to see the Vatican but not at the expense of not seeing other sites.

Edited by Luv2cruz1000
  • Like 1

The Colosseum, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon are within a one mile area in the center of the city.  You can use a bus for the longest distance (from the Colosseum to Trevi is about a mile) but walking really is the best for the rest.  Between Trevi and the Pantheon is a pedestrian walkway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

What time would be safe to leave Rome if your ship leaves at 8:00? Any suggestions the best way to travel around Rome while we are there should we take the train. Looking at tours and love the cost savings with the train but not sure if we will spend more time and money getting around. We are also assuming it will be very hot so some walking by likely not all day. Interested in more the colosseum,fountain,Parthenon and would like to see the Vatican but not at the expense of not seeing other sites.

Regarding the cost of getting around Rome, if you purchase the BIRG ticket in Civitavecchia, it includes round-trip to Rome and back on the train, as well as unlimited use of the metro and the buses to get around Rome. The cost of the BIRG currently is 12 euro per person and you can purchase it at the train station in Civitavecchia.

There is more good info (general) on getting around Rome here:   https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/getting-around-rome

• Thanks 1

It seems there needs to be a distinction between those special trains that run between Civi and only 2 stops and the regular Trenitalia regionales that go between Civi and Roma Termini (with other stops)... Are those special trains open to anyone or just those who buy the ticket through the cruise line?  

• Like 1

Good point slidergirl. I was forgetting to mention that the BIRG would not work for the newly announced trains --it is only for the frequent "regionale" trains with no reserved seating.

However, it's worth noting that as both the quantity and the passenger capacity of ships docking at Civitavecchia in the past few years has increased dramatically, it IS becoming more frustrating to use the Regionale trains. I would probably continue to do so, as I am generally traveling alone, am familiar with Italian trains, and am comfortable with the fact that I may not get a seat. (All worth it to get to Rome faster, lol.)   But for others, this sounds like a decent option.

I just did a bit of research and found that once in Rome, you can still purchase a 24-hour ticket good for unlimited use of the buses and metro. (Trains too, I think, but only within the confines of Rome). It costs 7 euro per person. So there's no need to 'break the bank' for anyone wanting to get around Rome using public transportation.

And finally, remember that short taxi hops within the city are also relatively cheap. If it's hot and you just don't feel like hoofing it or riding on a bus that's hot and packed with people, a taxi from somewhere like the Colosseum or the Pantheon to the Vatican will run only about 10 to 15 euros, depending on your location.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

Couple questions about the BIRG ticket:

1. Can it be purchased outside of the Lazio region (e.g. in La Spezia, which is the preceding port in my itinerary)?

2. All recommendations I have seen regarding travel from Civitavecchia to Rome specify the 5-zone BIRG, current cost 12€.  The ATAC website shows a zone map, upon which I have an arrow indicating Civitavecchia.  By my interpretation the route to Rome only involves 4 zones, for which the BIRG cost is 9,30€.  The difference is relatively trivial, but small things add up.  Am I mistaken or missing something?

image.png.429c070828c784573cbf13c453014e5f.png

My apologies if this inquiry accelerates the inevitable thread creep.  

• Haha 1

The BIRG is a regional ticket, offered by ATAC (the local transportation company in Rome) so you can't buy it outside of the area.

It's five zones because if you read the details, the center of Rome (the red circle) counts as two zones.

Here's the quote:

La zona A - che corrisponde al Comune di Roma - nel computo delle zone da acquistare, equivale al costo di 2 zone (esempio: per acquistare il titolo per le zone A e B va considerato l'importo per 3 zone).

Source:  https://www.atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=229&amp;i=14

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1