Coral Princess Refit

Bourbon Believer

Just returned from this cruise. There was new carpeting,  some still being laid during the cruise. 

Can't speak about the beds as we thought ours was way to soft for our tastes. In retrospect, I could have asked to have the pillow mattress cover to be removed. 

There were new flatscreen TVs installed. They were also doing the wiring for medallions, which we were told would be live later this year. Our steward told us contractors were still on board, which we observed. 

Embarkation day was chaotic as the ship didn't arrive at the port until after 10. Boarding finally began about 2. You couldn't even check in until  after 12:30, if you were elite. Know many who were waiting much longer to even check in. Basically it seemed as though all the ship's passengers were waiting in the terminal. We sailed about 7 that evening. 

It was a frustrating start to the cruise, which was wonderful even with a few more frustrations. 

We were on the post refit cruise.  As others have reported, boarding was hours late, and the refit continued  during the cruise, including new carpet in our stateroom.  Crew was distracted for the first few days cleaning areas and continuing the construction.  Some features did not work, or broke during the cruise, including the pool area Jumbotron (no loss as it was playing ads and loud music all day).  Frankly because of the poor execution by Princess during this cruise, we would be hard pressed to choose them again.  We are 20 year veterans of Cunard, HAL, Azamara, Regent, and others.  

Sorry to hear about the hiccups.  My one disappointment about the Coral when we did our Alaska cruise was the tech was so backwards compared to the newer ships.  I am hoping with the flat screens you will be able to check your onboard accounts, make reservations, and other stuff.  I am assuming if they are going Medallion that will be the case.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Cruisencatlady said:

Does anybody have a picture of the bow with the new sea witch livery on the Coral Princess?  I'm making up a poster for an upcoming M&M, but don't want to use an outdated picture.

Thanks,

Susan

Check-out the Port Everglades web cam when she sails from Fort Lauderdale.  Great views of the bow of the ship are shown.  The Fort Lauderdale web cam may provide even better camera views as she sails from Pier 2 at a slower speed.

Just posted a short review. Everything with ship was great on the second cruise 2/15-3/2. Lots of new carpeting throughout the ship! Flat screen tvs in the rooms were nice. When you download their app you can check you account, make reservations etc. on your phone.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the March 2 sailing.   I agree with earlier points.   Was told that they will be implementing the new internet on the current cruise(19 Day partial Transit).   They were going to implement it on the March 2 sailing, but had a couple of "glitches" to address.

• 2 weeks later...

A Princess Customer Rep told me that MedallionNet would be rolled out in time for my 8/28 cruise (which I already knew from these boards), but not the Ocean Medallion devices. That seems a little odd to me? Is the rep just clueless?

14 minutes ago, SeaofStars said:

A Princess Customer Rep told me that MedallionNet would be rolled out in time for my 8/28 cruise (which I already knew from these boards), but not the Ocean Medallion devices. That seems a little odd to me? Is the rep just clueless?

No, that’s the way it works. Medallion netbis already active on the coral, but I wouldn’t expect the full medallion experience until next year.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:00 PM, GloriaF said:

I'm relieved to hear the general layout was not changed!  Coral is my favorite ship, and I would absolutely hate to hear they did to her what they did to sister ship Island. 

From what I've read of changes to the Island Princess, these were not made to Coral Princess. (We were on the March 2-17 sailing.) Coral Princess retains the wraparound rear promenade deck, rear show lounge (there was a special New Orleans themed show designed for it), and the International Cafe. I believe some cabins were added. A Carnival Corporation IT crew was on board working with the Internet, I believe. It was the perfect ship for a Panama Canal transit.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:15 PM, SeaofStars said:

From my perspective, the full Ocean Medallion experience is extremely NICE to have while the Medallion Net component of OM is NEED to have.

We are on her in December for the first time since the refit. Looking forward to the upgrades.