stay in same hotel pre and post cruise?

jjjct

This will be my husbands and my first visit to Rome. We are staying 1 night pre cruise - leaving from port Civitavecchia and 3 nights post cruise. We will probably stay in a hotel in the Pantheon area post cruise. Wondering if we should stay in the same area the night before the cruise? Our flight arrives at 9 AM so we should have almost a full day for touring and a half day the following day. Post cruise we will try to fit in as many of the popular Rome sights we can. Please, advise from those that are frequent visitors to Rome, is it advisable staying in the same area of Rome both times or is it advisable to stay in a different locale pre cruise? All advise is appreciated.

There no right or wrong answer to this question.

Staying in the same hotel would give you some familiarity with the area and be less stressful upon your return. If you don’t like the hotel or if it wasn’t what you expected, you could cancel and book something else for the post cruise stay.

I can’t really think of any reason to change because if there was, I wouldn’t of booked there in the first place.

The only reason for me would be wanting to stay in civitavecchia the night of arriving. But I’ve done that and wouldn’t do it again unless I had lots of time post cruise in Rome. There’s not much in civitavecchia other than relaxing to get over the jet lag.

Edited by lamchops

39 minutes ago, jjjct said:

This will be my husbands and my first visit to Rome. We are staying 1 night pre cruise - leaving from port Civitavecchia and 3 nights post cruise. We will probably stay in a hotel in the Pantheon area post cruise. Wondering if we should stay in the same area the night before the cruise? Our flight arrives at 9 AM so we should have almost a full day for touring and a half day the following day. Post cruise we will try to fit in as many of the popular Rome sights we can. Please, advise from those that are frequent visitors to Rome, is it advisable staying in the same area of Rome both times or is it advisable to stay in a different locale pre cruise? All advise is appreciated.

If you are planning to take the train to Civitavecchia (pre-cruise), it might make sense to consider a hotel near Termini train station. It's not the most charming area BUT it makes it easy from a transportation standpoint -- you can take an express bus or a train from the airport directly to Termini (the express trains have no stops between the airport and Termini and have room for luggage), and then simply walk to your hotel. When it's time to depart the next day, you can walk back to the train station.

Depending on what you want to do on the day you arrive, Termini also has good transportation links. I would save doing anything near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona for your return. However, there are easy metro connections to the Colosseum & Forum area OR to the Vatican, if you wanted to try to see either of those.... 

Alternatively, there are some interesting things to see around the Termini area, including one of the best museums of ancient Roman sculpture, frescoes, and mosaics, the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (part of the Museo Na(z)ionale).  And a wonderful church, Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, that was designed by Michelangelo in the ruins of the ancient Roman Baths of Diocletian. 

A hotel I've stayed in that is easy walking distance to Termini station is Hotel UNA. It's more or less similar to American style hotels, with larger rooms than usual in Rome and a very extensive breakfast buffet. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Termini area, but in a situation such as I've outlined above, it can make sense. However, if you have a private transfer and you really want to be in the heart of things in Rome, there is no real downside to staying in the Centro.  It's certainly my favorite area...!

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you are planning to take the train to Civitavecchia (pre-cruise), it might make sense to consider a hotel near Termini train station. It's not the most charming area BUT it makes it easy from a transportation standpoint -- you can take an express bus or a train from the airport directly to Termini (the express trains have no stops between the airport and Termini and have room for luggage), and then simply walk to your hotel. When it's time to depart the next day, you can walk back to the train station.

Depending on what you want to do on the day you arrive, Termini also has good transportation links. I would save doing anything near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona for your return. However, there are easy metro connections to the Colosseum & Forum area OR to the Vatican, if you wanted to try to see either of those.... 

Alternatively, there are some interesting things to see around the Termini area, including one of the best museums of ancient Roman sculpture, frescoes, and mosaics, the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (part of the Museo Na(z)ionale).  And a wonderful church, Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, that was designed by Michelangelo in the ruins of the ancient Roman Baths of Diocletian. 

A hotel I've stayed in that is easy walking distance to Termini station is Hotel UNA. It's more or less similar to American style hotels, with larger rooms than usual in Rome and a very extensive breakfast buffet. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Termini area, but in a situation such as I've outlined above, it can make sense. However, if you have a private transfer and you really want to be in the heart of things in Rome, there is no real downside to staying in the Centro.  It's certainly my favorite area...!

Regarding the above post ...

I have stayed near the Termini area wherein a trip via train (to Civi) was on our agenda for the next day. In addition to Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, there is another wonderful church a mere 2 blocks up the street - 

Santa Maria della Vittoria. This church houses a Bernini masterpiece in its Cornaro Chapel, the Ecstasy of Saint Teresa (well worth a visit). 

I would be inclined to stay near Termini pre cruise & the Centro post cruise.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lamchops said:

There no right or wrong answer to this question.

Staying in the same hotel would give you some familiarity with the area and be less stressful upon your return. If you don’t like the hotel or if it wasn’t what you expected, you could cancel and book something else for the post cruise stay.

I can’t really think of any reason to change because if there was, I wouldn’t of booked there in the first place.

The only reason for me would be wanting to stay in civitavecchia the night of arriving. But I’ve done that and wouldn’t do it again unless I had lots of time post cruise in Rome. There’s not much in civitavecchia other than relaxing to get over the jet lag.

Thank you for your response, we are going in July so would be afraid if I didn't like the 1st hotel, I would have some difficulty booking a different hotel. I also thought of staying in Civitavecchia pre cruise but with so much to do and see in Rome, thought it best to spend extra day there in Rome.

Thank you cruisemom42 and dogs4fun. We love touring churches so appreciate both your suggestions. I am leaning toward your pre cruise suggestion of staying close to Termini area. Not sure how jet lagged we will be so thinking that visiting the churches you recommended and maybe doing an early morning visit to the Vatican or Colosseum the day of the cruise may work out well. Is the train direct to the port or do we need to change trains? I have a map from Frommers Rome but don't see it as a stop.

33 minutes ago, jjjct said:

Is the train direct to the port or do we need to change trains? I have a map from Frommers Rome but don't see it as a stop.

There are regional trains from Termini to Civitavecchia (cheap but seating is first-come, first-served) and the occasional fast train (Frecciabianca) with reserved seating and no stops between Termini and Civitavecchia. (For that one you can purchase tickets in advance).

The regionale tickets are 4.60 euro one-way per person. Getting a seat isn't such a huge issue when boarding in Termini as the train originates there. However, I'd want to be there a good 15 minutes or so in advance (at the track) and stake out a position. The regional trains depart from a distant platform in the Termini station -- requires about 2 blocks of walking from the front of the main station. They depart regularly throughout the day at about 30-45 minute intervals.

For your timing, there is a Frecciabianca departing Termini at 1:57 pm, arriving Civitavecchia at 2:44 pm. This might work well for you, giving you time for a little sightseeing in the morning, while still getting to the port at a decent time. It avoids the long walk to the regional trains and it ensures you will have seats. 

Also something to keep in mind is that when you arrive at Civitavecchia, you'll need to catch a local bus from the train station (buy tickets in the small bar in the station) that will take you to the port entrance. From there, the port has free shuttles to the various ships. The local bus seems to take a hiatus mid-day (from noon until 2:20), so the Frecci train works with that as well.

For train tickets and info:  trenitalia.com

For local transportation at Civitavecchia: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-address-how-get-and-useful-info

• Like 1

Thank you so much cruisemom42 for such a thorough explanation. You just saved me some planning, we will book the Franciabianca and the UnaHotels Deco Roma you suggested. One other question, are there taxi's available at the Civitavecchia train station to take us directly to the port? I know we will each have a large suitcase and a carryon suitcase, thinking that may not be manageable for a bus ride.

Sometimes taxis are there, but sometimes not. They prefer to try for larger fares than the short distance from the train station to the port. If you want a taxi, you might be able to get someone (in the bar, for example) to call one for you. 

The buses are primarily there for shuttling folks from the train station to the port, so are used to luggage. 

I always advise packing as light as you can; remember most people say after they return that they wish they'd packed half the clothes and twice the money, lol.  To be serious though, at Civitavecchia station when you alight from the train you may have to carry all your luggage down a full flight of stairs, pass under the tracks, and then carry them up again on the other side to reach the exit. There is no elevator or escalator at the station, and it's luck of the draw depending on which track your train is on.

Just another idea,  you can stay at the airport the first night as it is closer to the port. The Hilton has a free shuttle that will take you into Rome for the day, with approximately hourly trips. That way you don’t have to deal with luggage and trains and can still see Rome.  For one night it might be easier.   I really don’t like the termini area and have found the logistics of trains with luggage not good for us.YMMV.    We have had very good luck with arranging transfers with Stefanos Rome Cabs.

Or stay in Civitavecchia and visit Tarquinia by local bus.  The Etruscan museum and necropolis is well worth a visit and you would have a much lower keyed start to your trip with the jet lag.