1st time port canaveral

kayjay76

Hi all,

We usually sail out of Miami so port Canaveral is completely new to us. We will be flying into Orlando mco, at all times of the day the night before our Saturday cruise in Feb 2020. I know its far out but with the super bowl that weekend in Miami... we're looking to reserve pretty early just in case.

I'm trying to get a feel on what plan works best.... stay close to airport or close to port night before. We're leaning more towards close to port but depends on price. Any hotel suggestions and transport idea would be great, ty!!

We're a large group of adults, approx. 40 people so we're looking for a hotel that's clean, not so much a high rise as we like having exterior access from rooms if possible. Must have a restaurant and bar on site at hotel. We're used to booking private transport so not too worried about that. And would like to have a hotel priced under 200$

Any and all suggestions would be helpful even if you didn't travel in a group. Would like to know Hotels you love anywhere from mco to port.

Thanks everyone!!!!

The four hotels closest to the port are....Homewood Suites, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn and Radisson At The Port.  The first three also have free breakfast and all four offer a shuttle to the port for a small fee.

The Radisson is a little older complex but has exterior access doors and does have a restaurant on site.  But there is also Kelsey’s next door for great pizza, Italian, etc and Zachary’s next door on the other side for a more reasonably priced breakfast.  The Radisson also has a great pool and Tiki bar which really gets you in the cruising mood.  

My recommendation for a shuttle service from the airport and also from port back to airport would be Cortrans Shuttle or Cocoa Beach Shuttle.

have a wonderful cruise!!

• Like 1

We prefer to stay in Orlando pre-cruise, 1000's of Hotels in every price range.  Lots of Hotels near MCO with shuttles.  Look just north of the airport where there are a cluster of Hotels and restaurants that should meet your needs.  If you stay near the airport 40 will almost fill a bus - so shop around for a good group discount.

Edited by JohninDC

With that many people, I suggest whatever hotel you choose - talk to their group sales coordinator.  You may be able to negotiate a lower price than the posted rates and maybe something like free breakfast for all or a free room for you as group lead.   Just basing on 2 people per room, that's 20 rooms you want to book, a substantial amount of rooms for any of those port hotels.   If you aren't wedded to staying right at the port, but in the vicinity, look into the Hilton Cocoa Beach.  I know they do have group programs.  The downside to staying at Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach to me would be accessibility to a variety of restaurants without needing transportation.  

If you want to stay near MCO, there is a large concentration of the low/mid range chains have hotels out North of MCO - Doubletree, Hyatt Place, Courtyard, Hilton Garden, Springhill, Hampton Inn - the area out by Jeff Fuqua Blvd and Lee Vista.    And a good amount of low/mid range chain restaurants for dining.   (full disclosure - I stayed at the Hyatt Place in that area back in November for 1 night because I didn't want to drive to Cocoa Beach in the dark, having never been there before.  It was an OK place, but not my usual.  "clean", but basic.  I ate down the street at Sonny's BBQ, a chain, but serviceable BBQ. I will say that I felt safe walking in the area by myself at night.)  

Many people like the International Palms in Cocoa Beach.  Think it has a bar and restaurant on site.  They have a group employee who can help book and give you a discount.  Check the reviews first!  It is a basic hotel, exterior entrances, with heated pools.  If interested, I would call for a group rate.It is advertised as being on the beach.