Drink questions from an "ordering" standpoint

taraavo

I've posted some other questions over the past couple of months about my upcoming cruise - first time ever cruising (on the Epic...so you can imagine I've been glued to the boards and social media groups). With all of the talk about drink prices lately, I thought I'd start a new thread looking for your tips on ORDERING. For example, do you ask for specifics when you get your margarita? Like, "fresh margarita with Patron and a float of Grand Ma"?  I will 100% admit, loud and proud, I'm picky about cocktails and don't like lots of sugary mixers. Just looking for pointers on which bars or ways of ordering I can use to get good, fresh (not premixed) drinks without coming across like a total dolt and/or pain in the rear. What are your go-to's?

5 hours ago, taraavo said:

I've posted some other questions over the past couple of months about my upcoming cruise - first time ever cruising (on the Epic...so you can imagine I've been glued to the boards and social media groups). With all of the talk about drink prices lately, I thought I'd start a new thread looking for your tips on ORDERING. For example, do you ask for specifics when you get your margarita? Like, "fresh margarita with Patron and a float of Grand Ma"?  I will 100% admit, loud and proud, I'm picky about cocktails and don't like lots of sugary mixers. Just looking for pointers on which bars or ways of ordering I can use to get good, fresh (not premixed) drinks without coming across like a total dolt and/or pain in the rear. What are your go-to's?

Others will have other experiences...but I find that most of the outdoor bars, particularly on busy, sunny sea days, use LOTS of pre-mix.  And sure don't like having to mix a fresh pina colada, for example.  I will order those kinds of drinks inside and take them out.  Even then, not all bars automatically do it fresh.  ASK.  "Can you do a fresh Long Island Ice Tea?"  (If "yes", it will sure be a lot stronger than the mix they use.)  You can specify the booze they use, but it would probably be good to understand the bar menu in advance so you know which booze is an upcharge.  Then you can judge/plan accordingly.  Have fun!

• Like 3

Ask for a margarita with Patron Silver, Grand Marnier and fresh lime.  The two alcohols have recently been reintroduced to the UBP.  They were part of the roll back group that includes Grey Goose and it's flavored siblings as well as Johnnie Walker Black.  Be specific with your vodka choice such as Tito's, Kettle One or Grey Goose, otherwise you get Skyy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taraavo said:

I love, love, love Margaritas and while they'll do their best to make what you want, with the tequila you want but a true Margarita has fresh lime juice in it and they just don't have that on the ship. It's a mix of some sort with that tell tale neon color.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I love, love, love Margaritas and while they'll do their best to make what you want, with the tequila you want but a true Margarita has fresh lime juice in it and they just don't have that on the ship. It's a mix of some sort with that tell tale neon color.

Some of the bars do have fresh lime juice... I was just on Breakaway for 10 days and had margaritas with Patron, fresh lime, splash of OJ, Cointreau, and agave syrup... Problem is finding a bartender willing to go the extra mile to make it. Edgar in Vibe would just mix one up for me automatically every time I walked through the door... YMMV...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Some of the bars do have fresh lime juice... I was just on Breakaway for 10 days and had margaritas with Patron, fresh lime, splash of OJ, Cointreau, and agave syrup... Problem is finding a bartender willing to go the extra mile to make it. Edgar in Vibe would just mix one up for me automatically every time I walked through the door... YMMV...

Thank you for that info. It"s good to know for next time. I just struggled to get a decent Margarita on the Bliss. 

I loved your review, thanks for writing it.😊

• Like 1

For me, the key is to spend time the first day or two experiencing my drinks of choice at various bars. Notice and talk to the bartenders. In other words, get to know them early in the cruise. When you find a bar and bar tender that makes the drink the way you like, go to them as often as possible. They will get to know you by name quickly and almost always strike up a conversation with you while making "your" drink. 

For me, it is worth an elevator ride or a walk to another bar to get a favorite drink of mine made how I like it. Plus, it is always great to get the "Norm from Cheers" treatment when you walk up to a bar and they welcome you by name. 

• Like 1