late departure boarding times Brooklyn

trish1c

We're thinking about a cruise out of Brooklyn leaving at 10:30 p.m.   I know we have to be on board at least 2 hours before sail away.  We would rather go to work that day then be on board early.  

Would we be OK arriving at the port around 6 p.m.?

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

You might want to check your port, NCL normally sails out of Manhattan, not Brooklyn.

NCL is doing 4 cruises out of the Brooklyn terminal due to overcrowding at the main Manhattan terminal

Norwegian Jade April 18 2019
Norwegian Jade April 28 2019
Norwegian Star April 09 2020
Norweigan Star April 19 2020

• Like 1

This particular cruise sails out of Brooklyn.  I was surprised as the next person but it is what it is.  Believe me I checked the site where I got my quote, another big commercial site & NCL.  

My Q was about the time.  If we get out of work in Newark NJ around 4 & hightail it to Brooklyn on a weeknight, Thursday (we will be against most traffic) even assuming we don't make it to the pier until 6 p.m.  does that get us on board in time?  We really DO NOT care about being on board to "enjoy" the ship on the day of departure.  

When we do the lifeboat drill is immaterial.  Of course we will do it.   

Edited by trish1c

I don't know what is the check-in time for your sailing but as OP noted, 2 hours or 90 minutes prior to 10:30 p.m. would be at the Red Hook pier no later than 8:30 to 9 p.m. - online check-in completed.  I would think that arriving sometime between 6 - 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. should be fine.

I am sure it won't be just a handful of you missing the mandatory lifeboat drill.  Coming from Newark NJ, I wouldn't say you are traveling "against most" traffic - crossing under the Hudson River or possibly even via Staten Island, the "long" way if there are traffic or other unexpected roadway incidents on the day of ...  Leaving around 4 p.m. - 2 to 2.5 hour should be more than sufficient unless there is a major incident, hazmat spills or full closure on the bridges & tunnels - jamming up all the "alternate" approaches to S.W. Brooklyn.  

Use Google Navigation, Waze or whatever real-time GPS & traffic-based guidance for your fastest routing as you leave from work.  Coming thru Staten Island into Brooklyn, you do have a slight advantage with HOV-3 for a short stretch (driver + 2 of you, or more ... if using a car service ??  or drive-n-park-and-cruise ??) and it can be time-saver on a weekday.  Once you get into Bay Ridge, Brooklyn - if BQE is jammed heading toward downtown, the driver can hit lower streets, up 4th Avenue all the way into Red Hook - or, even 3rd. Avenue, just have to deal with traffic lights & a few red-light cameras.