How much Hong Kong dollars for my stay of 3 days to carry?

portnum

Cruisers-I will need your experience.

I have three days of sightseeing in Hong Kong when my cruise from Norwegian ends there. I plan to buy an Octopus pass, eat at various places, and travel at some tourist attractions (Victoria Peak).Not sure what hotel to stay at yet (Recommendation is nice too).

On a modest budget, how much cash should I get for Hong Kong? I understand that some restaurants or taxis don't take credit cards.How much to load up on the Octopus Card.

If my question is too loaded, can you give me an idea on what you would get in cash if you were going to Hong Kong for three days?

I agree with the ATM idea.  Taxis are fairly cheap.

I am pretty sure you can load your Octopus card from a credit card.  And you can use that pay in many places.  Most convenience stores accept the Octopus card.

19 hours ago, portnum said:

Cruisers-I will need your experience.

I have three days of sightseeing in Hong Kong when my cruise from Norwegian ends there. I plan to buy an Octopus pass, eat at various places, and travel at some tourist attractions (Victoria Peak).Not sure what hotel to stay at yet (Recommendation is nice too).

On a modest budget, how much cash should I get for Hong Kong? I understand that some restaurants or taxis don't take credit cards.How much to load up on the Octopus Card.

If my question is too loaded, can you give me an idea on what you would get in cash if you were going to Hong Kong for three days?

Agree with Philob, try posting this question on the Asia board.  You'll probably get some outstanding answers from m2king88.

Note: You will need cash to buy the Octopus Card at the airport.  Fortunately, there are plenty of ATM's at the airport.

How much money to load on the Octopus Card?...on our most recent trip, we also spent 3 days prior to embarkation...and had $500HK dollars loaded on the card.  We did not use it all.  You can easily cash the money back...no worries.

Cash?...difficult to answer.  I would say this, "don't carry around a lot of cash"...you can always use the ATM's if you need it or simply use an establishment that will accept either the Octopus Card or a credit card.  For example, if you are taking the ferry to visit Macau (the Las Vegas of Asia), they don't accept the Octopus Card.

Hotel?...again, it depends on your budget.  One place we like because of its convenient location and moderate price is a boutique hotel, "Butterfly on Pratt".  It was block from the nearest bus stop (we took the A21 City flyer from the airport) and walking distance to many restaurants,  malls, and sights...it is in Kowloon.  Happy sailing and have a great time in Hong Kong. :classic_smile:

Edited by bonsai3s
grammar/spelling
  • Like 1

Agree about just taking out money as needed from an ATM, and also using CC for major purchases. Many cards can be used with out attracting the international transaction fees. Transport is very cheap, other things like shopping and attractions and food can be subject to taste. Personally I would take out around $2500 HKD (around $320 USD) and go from there, we were there in May last year for a similar time and spent around $1800 HKD but we had been there previously so didn't do all the attractions.

Use the Octopus wherever you can unless you want to keep some loose change as souvenir. Most, if not all, public transportation there would accept Octopus. Same for supermarkets, convenient stores, and even many restaurants. In addition to money loaded on Octopus, you probably want to have HK$1000 cash on hand in smaller bills. To live that, I would spend around HK$100 per day on transporation, but a tourist would certainly use more. Food cost is really up to you. I can survive with less than HK$100 per day on food, or you can spend hundred times more. My guess for a typical tourist would spend around HK$500-$1000 per day other than lodging.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:36 PM, bonsai3s said:

Note: You will need cash to buy the Octopus Card at the airport.  Fortunately, there are plenty of ATM's at the airport.

Last time I was there (April 18), I thought I loaded value on my Octopus card with a card at the airport.