Seaside Yacht vs Breakaway Haven

daggct

My family has booked the Breakaway for our cruise in Dec 19, but I'm beginning to wonder if we've made the best choice.

The only cruise we've been on is the Harmony Dec 18. We loved almost everything about it, having both the unlimited beverage and dining plans. Our favorite thing was the entertainment- Grease, Ice Shows, Aqua Theatre, etc (production shows hold more value to us than the headliners or music groups). The one thing we hated was the search for chairs every day because we are not early risers. We figured booking the haven would help alleviate that issue. Now that I'm reading more reviews, I'm wondering if the Seaside might also be a good fit? 

Anybody have experience with both? FWIW- We would only book Haven or Yacht. There is a difference in price, large but not prohibitive. We are beholden to school schedules (two high schoolers) so both ships will be full.

Thanks!

PS- Cross posting on NCL to get info from both.

The entertainment factor will be much higher on Breakaway. The no cost eating alternatives better as well. For everything else, especially the private dining, pool deck, lounge, Butler service and overall pampering YC wins hands down. 

2 hours ago, Até said:

Since you mention two in high school, what cabin type did you book on Breakaway?  Are you considering booking all four people into one YC Deluxe Suite?

No, we booked two courtyard penthouse suites on the Breakaway, and would get two similar suites on the Seaside.

5 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

The entertainment factor will be much higher on Breakaway. The no cost eating alternatives better as well. For everything else, especially the private dining, pool deck, lounge, Butler service and overall pampering YC wins hands down. 

Agree with all of that.

47 minutes ago, daggct said:

No, we booked two courtyard penthouse suites on the Breakaway, and would get two similar suites on the Seaside.

Hmm, lucky kids.  That makes it a close call.  If you were doing a H6 Aft Penthouse or H4 Two Bedroom on Breakaway I'd have said that would be better versus packing four into a YC Deluxe.  I've been in Haven on Breakaway and YC on Seaside, both are nice but right now I'm sailing MSC.  The responses here and on the NCL thread pretty much sum up the differences.

We did the Breakaway Haven Aft in 2017 and a YC on the Meraviglia in 2018.  We are just off the Getaway Haven in January and I can say Hands  down the Haven.  The food, mixed drinks, service and activity/ entertainment is far superior on NCL in our opinion.  The YC sun deck and lounge and dining room are nicer but the rest is no contest in my opinion. 

Mark

With teens- I think the breakaway is a better bet especially if cost is close. If you can save significant dollars sailing MSC in the YC, then you can’t go wrong. However; if prices are similar- I vote for breakaway for the following reasons (mostly thinking of your kids). 

- howl at the moon 

- much more thrilling water slides

- 24 hour blue lagoon restaurant 

- ropes course

- Comedy Central 

- dining on the promenade

- rock of ages

I like MSC but consider it a “value” based cruise line. If prices were similar, I’d pick any of the mainstream lines over MSC. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, TrinaLC said:

Totally agree.

There are contrarian opinions; with food being admittedly subjective (I've not often seen "mixed drinks" better one way or the other).  Good development though.  Maybe YC prices will stop going up as NCL Haven and RCCL high tiers might stop coming on board and rising demand.  :classic_rolleyes:

We also are not "food" and "drink" reliant.  We're very health conscious re: both.  Actually get reinforced on our diet lifestyle watching others eat and drink themselves into oblivion.  :classic_ohmy:

We've sailed Bliss and Escape recently, non-Haven and had a great time.  Done the Haven previously, really nice.  But when it comes to the club-within-a-club, we'll take the Yacht Club every time.  Again, it is subjective.  When we booked out were almost a B2B in the Yacht Club for a 1 cruise Haven.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Formula280SS

12 hours ago, Bulldogsoc said:

We did the Breakaway Haven Aft in 2017 and a YC on the Meraviglia in 2018.  We are just off the Getaway Haven in January and I can say Hands  down the Haven.  The food, mixed drinks, service and activity/ entertainment is far superior on NCL in our opinion.  The YC sun deck and lounge and dining room are nicer but the rest is no contest in my opinion. 

Mark

Totally agree with this, we have done the exact same ships, Haven and YC.  Also there is no reserved seating in the theatre for YC guests whereas there is for Haven guests. 

Thank you everyone for the advice.

It looks like we are going to stick with the Breakaway. The shows are too important to our kids. The Seaside sounds better for an adults only trip for us. Everyone on CC makes MSC sound so great I thought it was worth a look, and the price is much better, but it sounds like not a perfect fit for this trip.

36 minutes ago, daggct said:

Thank you everyone for the advice.

It looks like we are going to stick with the Breakaway. The shows are too important to our kids. The Seaside sounds better for an adults only trip for us. Everyone on CC makes MSC sound so great I thought it was worth a look, and the price is much better, but it sounds like not a perfect fit for this trip.

We think NCL Breakaway class in your situation (and the Haven versus Yacht Club) "for your kids" is the right choice.  The entertainment is more traditional on NCL, higher quality productions (and longer).  Also, the activities, slides, ropes and other features on the Breakaway class are quite better than Seaside (except the zip line, but that is mild).  If you could swap out Breakaway to the Bliss you'd be on the go carts and down the 'drop water slides and laser-tagging day after day after day.  We just did a B2B Bliss in January, not even in the Haven, and wow did we have a blast.  GREAT NEW DESIGN FORWARD with the Observation Lounge and Garden Cafe (GREAT new FAMILY high top seating area) and every seat has "the view."

Enjoy.

If you want to be spoiled without kids, the MSC Yacht Club is a 'must try in our opinion.