Best time to get to port

mawsmama

I'm personally a fan of arriving around 1-1:30.  At that point everything tends to have quieted down and you just drop your bags, walk right up to check-in, walk right on the ship, drop my bags in my room and go get lunch.

I used to go early like others will recommend, but I disliked the waiting and the crowds at check-in, boarding and lunch.  Not to mention lugging around my stuff since the rooms weren't ready.  Too much aggravation for me when starting my trip.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Run4tacos said:

I'm personally a fan of arriving around 1-1:30.  At that point everything tends to have quieted down and you just drop your bags, walk right up to check-in, walk right on the ship, drop my bags in my room and go get lunch.

I used to go early like others will recommend, but I disliked the waiting and the crowds at check-in, boarding and lunch.  Not to mention lugging around my stuff since the rooms weren't ready.  Too much aggravation for me when starting my trip.

Finally, comments from a seasoned cruiser.  We don't think waiting in hard, uncomfortable chairs is a really good way to start our cruise.  Sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast, stroll through check-in, and board immediately.  We generally target 1:30 so that we can unpack (since our rooms will be ready), eat a leisurely lunch (not in the buffet), and have a drink or two to get us through the life boat drill at 3:30 or 4 pm.  We appreciate the travelers who fight the early crowds and leave the gangways almost empty by the time we arrive.

18 hours ago, mawsmama said:

We’re on the bliss & sailing out of Miami. What is the best time to get there to board? 

We like to be there before 11am, normally around 10:30 or 10: 45. We are then on the ship in time for a nice relaxing lunch while they finish cleaning the cabins. Normally you can get to your cabin anytime from 1pm on. It varies of course but 1pm is standard it seems. if you really do not like crowds and get really antsy about waiting, arriving later has its benefits as well. I think it depends on your personality and what you expect out of that first day on the cruise. 

Finally, comments from a seasoned cruiser.  We don't think waiting in hard, uncomfortable chairs is a really good way to start our cruise.  Sleep in, eat a leisurely breakfast, stroll through check-in, and board immediately.  We generally target 1:30 so that we can unpack (since our rooms will be ready), eat a leisurely lunch (not in the buffet), and have a drink or two to get us through the life boat drill at 3:30 or 4 pm.  We appreciate the travelers who fight the early crowds and leave the gangways almost empty by the time we arrive.

I forgot about the aspect of the leisurely breakfast too. For example my last cruise I sailed out of Miami. I slept in a little, got up and went for a quick jog, found a nice brunch, walked over to the beach, FaceTimed a couple of friends to brag, rented a bike for an hour to cruise around South Beach, took a nice shower, got an Uber and went to the port with no traffic.

Sure I could get up early, fight the crowds in an overfilled hotel lobby for a free (but likely crummy) breakfast and then hop in a stuffed van going from pier to pier dropping people off.

For me vacation starts when I leave for the airport, so everything from that point forward is about de-stressing. I love being on the ship, but I can make better of my sailaway morning off the ship than rushing to get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1