Victoria and Passports

Cutiecruisin

I just paid off our Carnival cruise to Alaska. I am saving diligently for our excursions now and I have the inevitable passport question. My oldest(8) passport expires but he really wants to say he has been to Canada. I know when we have done Caribbean Cruises in the past as long as it was a closed loop cruise from the US a passport was not required to experience a foreign port of call. We are not taking the train in Skagway. I know if we miss the ship coming back from our time in Victoria we will have a huge problem, but if all my kids have is birth certificates will Carnival let us back on or even off at all? I know the many advantages to having a passport especially in a foreign country. If I get their passports renewed and in one case get a brand new one we cannot afford our Skagway excursion. He just wants to walk around and says he's been. Anyone? Thanks in advance

I have asked this question recently, and was advised by many that you DO NOT need a passport to get off the ship or do excursions in Victoria.  But I think there was an excursion in Alaska where you went to the Yukon and needed a passport.  I am going on the train in Skagway, but am not getting off in Canada so I do not need a passport.  We are traveling with a BirthCertificate 

Pekineselady, that was my understanding too. Carnival''s website is less than helpful. It looks like he might have to decide if he wants to do the Skagway excursion or renew his passport and get to see Canada. His dad is willing to for go the Skagway excursion renew his passport too and take him into Canada. We are not doing the train to the Yukon. Seems like it doesn't matter though and we need passports for Victoria regardless. I mean it is Canada and we are not citizens of that country so it makes sense. Thanks all! And I will look into the card vs. book. (Card is only good for Mexico and Canada, right?)

• Like 1

If it's a Closed Loop cruise, the rules are EXACTLY the same whether Caribbean or Canada - and as an under 16, WHTI criteria are even less stringent (birth cert alone proves citizenship and identity, no photo ID required). The exemption for closed loop cruising does not make any distinction between which country or countries you visit, as long as all are signatory to the WHTI (which Canada is).

As long as he just stays in Victoria, no problems entering Canada as at age 8 I imagine that he has no criminal record to keep him from getting off the ship;-)

If you were FLYING into Canada you'd have a problem, as that DOES need a passport for any age of passenger (well, there are some super-niche exceptions like NEXUS cards, but even then most airlines K.I.S.S. and ask for a passport anyway even though both US & Canadian governments don't....)

So unless Carnival have started to demand a passport for all Canadian itineraries - which they could, it's their business and they can run it how they like - you'd only need to worry about renewing his passport if you wanted to cross into Canada from Skagway on the train or bus excursions up into the Yukon.

@PekingeseLady - you may have an issue. Someone who works for Princess at Seattle piers posted a while ago that they changed their policies on ALL the train excursions to demand a passport, even the Summit version with no legal entry to Canada. YWPR's own website does say that no passport is needed for the 'Summit' excursion but I'd suggest that your reach out to confirm with Princess (and rebook directly with WPYR if Princess are still being wazzocks).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, martincath said:

If it's a Closed Loop cruise, the rules are EXACTLY the same whether Caribbean or Canada - and as an under 16, WHTI criteria are even less stringent (birth cert alone proves citizenship and identity, no photo ID required). The exemption for closed loop cruising does not make any distinction between which country or countries you visit, as long as all are signatory to the WHTI (which Canada is).

As long as he just stays in Victoria, no problems entering Canada as at age 8 I imagine that he has no criminal record to keep him from getting off the ship;-)

If you were FLYING into Canada you'd have a problem, as that DOES need a passport for any age of passenger (well, there are some super-niche exceptions like NEXUS cards, but even then most airlines K.I.S.S. and ask for a passport anyway even though both US & Canadian governments don't....)

So unless Carnival have started to demand a passport for all Canadian itineraries - which they could, it's their business and they can run it how they like - you'd only need to worry about renewing his passport if you wanted to cross into Canada from Skagway on the train or bus excursions up into the Yukon.

@PekingeseLady - you may have an issue. Someone who works for Princess at Seattle piers posted a while ago that they changed their policies on ALL the train excursions to demand a passport, even the Summit version with no legal entry to Canada. YWPR's own website does say that no passport is needed for the 'Summit' excursion but I'd suggest that your reach out to confirm with Princess (and rebook directly with WPYR if Princess are still being wazzocks).

Royal told us last year to take our passports   on the Summit train.

I would double check, but I swear I have read under 16 can go off ship with a birth certificate in Canada and Mexico. Flying in and out is different. But Starting in USA, I really think that is correct. We are doing Mexico with our 3 kids and I had been looking at if they need passports or bc by the time we go. 

Adults I believe will need passports though. 

You do not need a passport to get off in Victoria on a closed loop cruise.  A few years ago, when my son graduated from high school, we went on a family cruise to Alaska and took my son's best friend (18 years old) with us.  He did not have a passport.  He had a state issued ID card and his birth certificate. He was able to board cruise and get off in Victoria with  no issues whatsoever.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:21 PM, CruiserBruce said:

There is different rules for the Caribbean countries as opposed to Canada. You need a passport. 

Is Canada not part of WHTI?

If the cruise departs from and returns to the same US port it would be classified as "closed loop". BC & valid government photo id should suffice.

Cruises departing from or ending in Canada will likely require a passport to fly to/from Canada. Although US citizens entering/leaving Canada through a land crossing can use a passport card, NEXUS, etc.

• Like 2