Nor'easter for NYC Sunday

penwah2002

As a passenger for the 03/03 sailing out of NYC on the Escape I've been watching the weather. 

I see there is the potential for a Nor'easter Sunday night into Monday, buckle up folks it could be a bumpy ride.

Edited by penwah2002
mispell
  • Like 1

National Weather Service's discussion on Marine Conditions for Sunday near NYC:

Thereafter, a more significant low
pressure system is expected to move up the coast late Sunday
into Monday, allowing winds and seas to increase, particularly
on the ocean waters where at least a few hours of gale-force
winds may be possible.

Relax, cruise ships routinely sailed in, around and handled gale force wind - especially when you are on a mega 160,000 tons ship with advanced radar & real-time weather tracking systems.  

Wind speed of 20, 30 & 40 knots aren't all that uncommon sailing the Atlantic, anything of the year - and especially when crossing weather fronts.  We sailed into strong gale force wind on much smaller ships ... Force 8, 9 and even 10's over the years.  It's what the ship Captain gets paid for, to chart a course & find the best path to sail the ship safely, to best avoid the worst sea conditions with cross-wind direction, across the bow.  

Pack your own seasickness or motion meds/remedies ... Bonine works for DW, take it a day early (i.e. starting on Saturday) and she's fine & sleep like a puppy with the rocking motion. 

It helped if you booked a mid-ship location & lower decks are best.  Of course, folks like to be up higher on deck 15 or 16 Fwd or AFT; and, that's where one catch the worst vertical & horizontal / sideward motions (roll & pitch ... that are usually countered by use of stablizers and other active measures).   Just go with the flow. 

Lastly, avoid go up high to the buffet, eat in the MDR and/or O'Sheehan's as they are lower on the deck plans.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Relax, cruise ships routinely sailed in, around and handled gale force wind - especially when you are on a mega 160,000 tons ship with advanced radar & real-time weather tracking systems.  

Wind speed of 20, 30 & 40 knots aren't all that uncommon sailing the Atlantic, anything of the year - and especially when crossing weather fronts.  We sailed into strong gale force wind on much smaller ships ... Force 8, 9 and even 10's over the years.  It's what the ship Captain gets paid for, to chart a course & find the best path to sail the ship safely, to best avoid the worst sea conditions with cross-wind direction, across the bow.  

Pack your own seasickness or motion meds/remedies ... Bonine works for DW, take it a day early (i.e. starting on Saturday) and she's fine & sleep like a puppy with the rocking motion. 

It helped if you booked a mid-ship location & lower decks are best.  Of course, folks like to be up higher on deck 15 or 16 Fwd or AFT; and, that's where one catch the worst vertical & horizontal / sideward motions (roll & pitch ... that are usually countered by use of stablizers and other active measures).   Just go with the flow. 

Lastly, avoid go up high to the buffet, eat in the MDR and/or O'Sheehan's as they are lower on the deck plans.  

I’m sailing Sunday.  Looking forward to it!  Not worried!

The worst part of sailing out of NY is the land portion...getting to the ship from the airport,

dealing with high hotel prices, etc. I actually like sailing in not so great weather. Our last cruise

on the Jade out of Miami it was so smooth it was like we were in an office building. I missed

the feeling of being on a ship. It will be fine.

We sailed out of Boston for a 14 night Caribbean cruise 10/26/18. There was a nor’easter coming up the coast. The captain decided to keep us close to the coast on our way down Incase we had to pull into a port if it got bad. That was the rockiest ride I have experienced. We left on Friday and Saturday everything on the ship was flying around all day. We were on deck 11 and we had to put everything away so it didn’t fly around the cabin. Bars and stores were trashed. Some dining venues were closed due to kitchens too dangerous to work in. It was very exciting. No complaints. The rest of the days were great. We also had one cruise out of Boston that the ocean was like glass. It was boring. Missed the rough seas. I know. I am weird.

21 hours ago, newty25 said:

I wonder how everyone on that ship is feeling about sailing from NYC right now? 

I'm not onboard currently but I'm so shaken that I just booked the Escape out of NYC for the end of month. 

I feel bad for anyone injured.  Some of the quoted FB posts do seem a bit extreme to me since others onboard have posted on CC that they were hardly aware anything happened.  I'm not one to overreact to situations so I'll take my chances.

But do as you see fit, it'll keep the demand and prices down if more people feel as you do.

Sunday was when those horribly destructive tornadoes killing 23 people hit Alabama & Georgia.  Those tornadoes were part of a long line/front of storms moving northeast.  I am guessing that by midnight the ship met up with that same front which still had extremely high tornado-like winds.  That would explain such an event at sea.   Other ships may have been behind Escape just far enough to have missed the impact felt by Escape.